terse fragments

57131305-3BD5-452D-A02A-E3B628C550BD.jpeg

C20944A9-892F-414C-B6C6-0DD229859962.jpeg

Beachcombing
Lightroom, ACDSee Pro

You might think these would be naturals for b/w, but for me, they don't work. Close shots of sand, like these, look too harsh and grainy to me in every b/w treatment I've tried.

View attachment 102696

View attachment 102695

Beachcombing
Lightroom, ACDSee Pro

You might think these would be naturals for b/w, but for me, they don't work. Close shots of sand, like these, look too harsh and grainy to me in every b/w treatment I've tried.
Yeah, I get that.... plus the bit of orangey/tan gives a nice bit of color.

Thank you Lisa -- that's my favorite, too. It's still a thrill to be wandering around aimlessly and stumble across a vivid little detail like that.
I totally agree, Ted!
View attachment 102696

View attachment 102695

Beachcombing
Lightroom, ACDSee Pro

Very cool! I like the first image and that shadow!!!

View attachment 102696

View attachment 102695

Beachcombing
Lightroom, ACDSee Pro

I’ve noticed that, too. Any of my sand detail close-ups have some sort of strange look to them that makes me hesitate to post them. I never had that problem with other cameras. I wonder what causes that. Is it not enough resolution? Or maybe some type of interference between the pixels and sand grains frequency? It could be the heavy noise processing done by the iOS to all images.

I’ve noticed that, too. Any of my sand detail close-ups have some sort of strange look to them that makes me hesitate to post them. I never had that problem with other cameras. I wonder what causes that. Is it not enough resolution? Or maybe some type of interference between the pixels and sand grains frequency? It could be the heavy noise processing done by the iOS to all images.
I think (emphasis on "think") the problem is the combination of the inherently increased contrast in b/w and the high microcontrast of sand grains reflecting light from their variously positioned sides. I do see the problem with other cameras, but it's not as severe, so maybe the in-camera processing of smartphones accentuates the microcontrast (to make photos appear sharper)? Hmmm... thinking some more... I have had success when shooting at a very low angle.

I think (emphasis on "think") the problem is the combination of the inherently increased contrast in b/w and the high microcontrast of sand grains reflecting light from their variously positioned sides. I do see the problem with other cameras, but it's not as severe, so maybe the in-camera processing of smartphones accentuates the microcontrast (to make photos appear sharper)? Hmmm... thinking some more... I have had success when shooting at a very low angle.

I find even in colour the sand doesn’t look like sand. I think in a super close-up it is less of an issue because the sand grains are that much bigger.

Back
Top Bottom