MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
As we head into 2024, we're uncertain about the future of MobiTog. It's not a matter of money -- our donations cover the running costs (which work out to roughly 45 pounds a month). It's a matter of activity and interest.

The overall activity on MobiTog declined during the worst of the pandemic and has not recovered, although it does wax and wane a bit. Once upon a time, the MobiColour and B/W challenges would run for one week each and routinely get 4-6 pages of entries. Now they run for two weeks each and only rarely get more than two pages. Our attempts to lure people from other platforms, like Instagram and Flickr, haven't been a great success either.

As part of an attempt to simplify things, we're going to close down the Project 365 and Project 52 sections. Those of you brave people who want to tackle a 365 or 52, you can set up your thread in the Personal and Group Projects section.

If the activity continues to drop this coming year, we'll most likely decide to shut down (gracefully, we hope, and with plenty of warning). If it picks up, we'll still be here in 2025.

If any of you reading this -- new members or old -- have suggestions or assistance to offer, please tack those on here or send any of the moderators a note privately. We can use whatever help we can get.

Your mods and admins (in no particular order, which is how we usually work):

zenjenny Starzee rizole terse RoseCat

As we head into 2024, we're uncertain about the future of MobiTog. It's not a matter of money -- our donations cover the running costs (which work out to roughly 45 pounds a month). It's a matter of activity and interest.

The overall activity on MobiTog declined during the worst of the pandemic and has not recovered, although it does wax and wane a bit. Once upon a time, the MobiColour and B/W challenges would run for one week each and routinely get 4-6 pages of entries. Now they run for two weeks each and only rarely get more than two pages. Our attempts to lure people from other platforms, like Instagram and Flickr, haven't been a great success either.

As part of an attempt to simplify things, we're going to close down the Project 365 and Project 52 sections. Those of you brave people who want to tackle a 365 or 52, you can set up your thread in the Personal and Group Projects section.

If the activity continues to drop this coming year, we'll most likely decide to shut down (gracefully, we hope, and with plenty of warning). If it picks up, we'll still be here in 2025.

If any of you reading this -- new members or old -- have suggestions or assistance to offer, please tack those on here or send any of the moderators a note privately. We can use whatever help we can get.

Your mods and admins (in no particular order, which is how we usually work):

zenjenny Starzee rizole terse RoseCat
This was sad, but I admit I’m not surprised. Most people are not interested in how images are created, they just want 250 likes on Insta. And video clips with music background. I think that another reason for Mobitog’s stagnation could be that shooting and editing with mobile devices is just normal nowaday. Nothing special about it anymore.
But for me personally Mobito is my photography home :)
Thanks admins and other members :inlove:

I’m not real active on any platform… except SnapChat as my kids and grands are all there… This past year we had been relocating to the Midwest US and my retiring, subsequently helping our son and daughter-in-law prepare for and move to Copenhagen a couple weeks ago… life has been soooooo crazy busy. I’ll make a better effort on here in 2024!

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!

I know for me it’s just usually life happens. Last year my knee surgery threw me and the moving took a lot out of me. But I agree with the lack of people being a smartphone is so common anymore, as Eva said. I will try and be more active as well. Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year

I’m not real active on any platform… except SnapChat as my kids and grands are all there… This past year we had been relocating to the Midwest US and my retiring, subsequently helping our son and daughter-in-law prepare for and move to Copenhagen a couple weeks ago… life has been soooooo crazy busy. I’ll make a better effort on here in 2024!

Nice to see you, Dee!
Copenhagen :eek: Thats a long way away. I suppose it will be a nice holiday destination for you and DH :inlove:

It is really sad to hear that. Mobitog has one special thing that any other social media hasn’t: it brings people closer. I see social media as Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and others like a medium where you can express to the world. It is a way more easy to open and post a photo on Insta and wait for the reward effect. Forum’s like this one are things from the past. Younger people, and I see from my sons, use other social media that allows them to keep in contact on faster way with their friends. I fell Mobitog as family. The friendly warmth we get here we don’t see on any other platforms. You need to fell this, otherwise Mobitog will be like any other media platform, and you won’t last here. Last week I felt really old when talking to my older son, that has 19, about Facebook. He said something like “…no one use that anymore, that for the older people…”. I do understand that day to day life don’t allow us to be fully present at Mobitog, and I speak for myself. I will be here and give my best to keep it alive. If a transition needs to be made, I hope we get a way, or a platform, that brings us all together and keeps this spirit alive.

Second one nominated for IOTM.

This was sad, but I admit I’m not surprised. Most people are not interested in how images are created, they just want 250 likes on Insta. And video clips with music background. I think that another reason for Mobitog’s stagnation could be that shooting and editing with mobile devices is just normal nowaday. Nothing special about it anymore.
But for me personally Mobito is my photography home :)
Thanks admins and other members :inlove:

I know for me it’s just usually life happens. Last year my knee surgery threw me and the moving took a lot out of me. But I agree with the lack of people being a smartphone is so common anymore, as Eva said. I will try and be more active as well. Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year

Nice to see you, Dee!
Copenhagen :eek: Thats a long way away. I suppose it will be a nice holiday destination for you and DH :inlove:

It is really sad to hear that. Mobitog has one special thing that any other social media hasn’t: it brings people closer. I see social media as Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and others like a medium where you can express to the world. It is a way more easy to open and post a photo on Insta and wait for the reward effect. Forum’s like this one are things from the past. Younger people, and I see from my sons, use other social media that allows them to keep in contact on faster way with their friends. I fell Mobitog as family. The friendly warmth we get here we don’t see on any other platforms. You need to fell this, otherwise Mobitog will be like any other media platform, and you won’t last here. Last week I felt really old when talking to my older son, that has 19, about Facebook. He said something like “…no one use that anymore, that for the older people…”. I do understand that day to day life don’t allow us to be fully present at Mobitog, and I speak for myself. I will be here and give my best to keep it alive. If a transition needs to be made, I hope we get a way, or a platform, that brings us all together and keeps this spirit alive.
The warmth you all are giving Mobitog brought tears to my eyes. I agree it is unlike anything else out there. I’m hoping we can keep this going.

The warmth you all are giving Mobitog brought tears to my eyes. I agree it is unlike anything else out there. I’m hoping we can keep this going.
OK, now I almost got tears in MY eyes because of you …

I want to add something to what I wrote earlier:
Another thing that is so special in here is everything you can learn. Editing tips, photo ideas, photo critique, etc. And all the apps I’ve downloaded since I became a Mobitogger :rolleyes: And for me also I get the chance to practice my English and learn new words and expressions. I’m a word nerd. You might have noticed :geek:

Hello Ted & everyone,
You had asked for ideas or suggestions .. and now I have questions…

Current members starting 2024 52s & 365s ..does that equate interest?

I was going to suggest throwing a regular sepia challenge into the mix with the color & b&w.
Also thinking about starting a “collections” project thread. Collected items laid out or in a group.
Would either generate the kind of interest needed?

(I also acknowledge that the site has been around a long time and has probably already seen similar adds..maybe with no gains)

I’m probably over complicating your ask…but what exactly counts as interest for keeping the site alive so we can collectively get going on meeting those goals?

Is it more about trying to get additional traffic to the site or getting the current members to activate?

Thanks,

Resident newbie Steve

OK, now I almost got tears in MY eyes because of you …

I want to add something to what I wrote earlier:
Another thing that is so special in here is everything you can learn. Editing tips, photo ideas, photo critique, etc. And all the apps I’ve downloaded since I became a Mobitogger :rolleyes: And for me also I get the chance to practice my English and learn new words and expressions. I’m a word nerd. You might have noticed :geek:
Absolutely Eva! I’ve learned so much on here ..more than any other site.
I’m always looking through old posts finding new info nuggets ..it’s a constant source of “edutainment”.

Well said Ricardo!
I get a great sense of community & positivity after just a few months here.

I was mentioning on my Catch-All thread today that I was not sure bout the status of Mobitog. Thanks, zenjenny , for pointing me to this thread.

Mobitog, as Eva and Ricardo and Star have pointed out, is a family to those of us who have been here for - gosh, I’m thinking it’s been close to ten years now. I started out seeing this as another place to post my tutorials. It is the only place - FB, IG, my own blog, the App Whisperer, and here - where I could get a discussion going, where I felt I was truly getting across to people. As I’ve been doing less and less actual photography over the last couple of years, I stopped doing 365s and posting to Challenges, but I never felt unwelcome while I was sticking to my own little section.

I think, however, that Mobitog is running into the same thing I mentioned above. Eva said it, too. People, for the most part, want to post their images and get their likes and have no desire to discuss them, explain them and give others help. I see that hundreds of times a day in FB groups for AI images: “Look at what I did! No, I’m not going to give you any hint about my prompt or what app I used!” The very thing I love so much about Mobitog is the very thing that most people can’t be bothered with.

I’ll be here until the bitter end, as I think most of the friends I’ve made here will be. It’s a shame that more people aren’t interested in the discussion, but that’s just the way things are.

I’m probably over complicating your ask…but what exactly counts as interest for keeping the site alive so we can collectively get going on meeting those goals?
We are comparing what is going on now with the activity from the past. As Ted said before the challenges were a lot busier. Also we had more challenges. They were pop-sorts of things, not really competitive. One example is the EOS (elements of surprise) You signed up, then we took turns adding an element to a base image. Here’s one of the EOS challenges.

We also had more interaction. More commenting on other’s images, sometimes just plain old conversations. Most of us didn’t just post an image and walk away, we looked at everyone’s stuff and commented or at least “liked” stuff. Another “challenge“ that periodically turned up was TalkIng Point. In the example, you have to scroll down a bit to get to the heart of thread, which was a series of questions that we answered. It gave insight into members and helped develop the friendship many of feel for each other.

We would also like to draw in some new members to participate in the conversation.

I was going to suggest throwing a regular sepia challenge into the mix with the color & b&w.
We have been tossing that around for a while. Our BnW challenge used to be monochrome. There was interest in a BnW only challenges so that’s how we went. I’m not sure we can handle another bi-weekly challenge right now, but we certainly could put that out to the troops and if there’s intrest, change the BnW to Monochrome. Allow both tinted and standard BnW. Personally, I think a tint can change the whole atmosphere of an image.

If you are interested in Sepia only, you can start a non-competitive thread that invites sepia Images only.

Nice to see you, Dee!
Thank you. I pop in here every once in a while to try to catch up… hopefully 2024 won’t be so busy.

And yes! As soon as they get settled, we plan to take the trip! ;) They are still waiting for their shipment of belongings and making trips to IKEA for furnishings. We’d like to visit other places we are there!

Thank you. I pop in here every once in a while to try to catch up… hopefully 2024 won’t be so busy.

And yes! As soon as they get settled, we plan to take the trip! ;) They are still waiting for their shipment of belongings and making trips to IKEA for furnishings. We’d like to visit other places we are there!
Which you will, of course, document and shared with us, so that we can all go……

Also thinking about starting a “collections” project thread. Collected items laid out or in a group.
Would either generate the kind of interest needed?

That’s a great idea, Steve. Would you consider starting a thread in our “Everything Else” Forum ?
Lots of different angles & interests in this forum, some generate a lot of participation: : eg, our pets, found faces, Roadside memorials, Christmas bling . . , Not collections, though — that’s a new one, and we’d love to see it :thumbs:

I think the proliferation of A.I and the almost universal use of image generation/modification has put an end to any kind of requirement or desire for skill in photography at a social level. Nowadays it is almost impossible to take bad photo with a modern device and even in the rare eventuality that you actually do - A.I can fix it in post and save you the embarrassment. The unfortunate downside of this is that the demand for sites like this has diminished and the social side has just been re-absorbed by the demon SocMed.

There will still be the die hards who will frequent Mobitog, but I feel that it will be difficult to attract new users to the site, as real photography has now become very much last years model.. We are the digital equivalent of the analogue photography clubs, meeting in a sheltered clubhouse every week, to share our latest prints and admire each others equipment. Meanwhile A.I is in the big city, flashing its lights and ringing its bells and the rank and file are shuffling towards it clutching their Pixel 10s and IPhone 20s like moths to a flame and being convinced that their fauxtography is the next BIG THING. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted!

Like all the replies above, I, too feel very sad that Mobitog 365 might close down. I have been a regular since 2017 with Gilly who ran it superbly. It does feel like a community as I feel many of you have become friends online and have been very supportive, particularly a few years go when I was in hospital with pneumonia. Receiving lots of support from you all really boosted me when I was feeling really low. I know sometimes it is difficult to keep up with a daily photo when there is lots of things affecting your lives, but to me, it always feels that I have achieved something and is a wonderful record of what one ha done throughout the year. Another thing I have noticed is the difference in the standard of the images I have taken sine 2017. I am sure the improvements can be partly attuned to the 365.

As I’ve been doing less and less actual photography over the last couple of years, I stopped doing 365s and posting to Challenges, but I never felt unwelcome while I was sticking to my own little section.
We talked a bit about adding an AI-Assisted Art section for the kind of hybrid work you (and now ImageArt too) are doing. Maybe we should go ahead and give that a try. You seem to be having such fun with it.

Is it more about trying to get additional traffic to the site or getting the current members to activate?
Either or both? We could use some new active members, I think. Even long-term members may disappear for a while when life intervenes, so we need enough activity to keep the party alive when that happens.

Also, I have a question for you. We can see from the lists of members and visits that a fair number of people register as members and then never come back, or come back now and then but never post a message or an image, or post an image or two and then disappear. I'm not sure what to make of this. Is there something getting in their way, like finding their way around the site? Or do they just discover they're not interested. Or do they get intimidated?

Any ideas about any of that? Since you're still kinda new, I'm wondering if you may see something that us long-timers have forgotten.

(Happy to hear from anyone else who may have ideas about converting sign-ups into active members.)

My own feeling (nothing official) is that, right now, adding a third challenge would spread things too thin. But... we could convert the B/W Challenge into a Monochrome Challenge and make room for sepia and other tints. I'd enjoy that myself.

(Also, the B/W Challenge was originally called MobiMono and did allow tints, so we've got precedent.)

We talked a bit about adding an AI-Assisted Art section for the kind of hybrid work you (and now ImageArt too) are doing. Maybe we should go ahead and give that a try. You seem to be having such fun with it.
Personally, I can't support this idea, as its just opening the doors fully to the domination of A.I. It will probably get more traffic and members, but will also flood the site with images which are purely artificial, which is surely the opposite of what Photography is about?

Back
Top Bottom