Walking

10 hours later, 18 miles, 43,423 steps and more people joining, 7 adults, 3 kids and two dogs arrive at the Jubilee Wing of the Leeds General.
Two of the people who walked have never done anywhere near this distance before so its a real achievement.
20180809_181648-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Observation from walking 18miles from a middle sized town to a large city via the countryside in sandles:
Sandles let in dirt, stone and grit occasionally. There doesn't seem to be much difference between town and country but the closer we got to the city, the more dirt and grit got between my sandles and feet. Also the finer the dirt became. After 4 hours walking through a city my where the skin was exposed became black with dirt and a fine drift of black dust collected between mybfeetand sandles. I wonder if it's mainly ground upbrubber from car tyres.

Observation from walking 18miles from a middle sized town to a large city via the countryside in sandles:
Sandles let in dirt, stone and grit occasionally. There doesn't seem to be much difference between town and country but the closer we got to the city, the more dirt and grit got between my sandles and feet. Also the finer the dirt became. After 4 hours walking through a city my where the skin was exposed became black with dirt and a fine drift of black dust collected between mybfeetand sandles. I wonder if it's mainly ground upbrubber from car tyres.
Country dirt is not really “dirty” to me, but yes, city dirt is grimey!! :tongueclosed:

10 hours later, 18 miles, 43,423 steps and more people joining, 7 adults, 3 kids and two dogs arrive at the Jubilee Wing of the Leeds General.
Two of the people who walked have never done anywhere near this distance before so its a real achievement.
View attachment 112760
What a great achievement! :thumbs:

That's an interesting observation. I feel certain the tire particle thing is real: our cities are awash with vehicles. I have often noticed a very fine grit on tables at outdoor restaurants in Atlanta. Out here in the country we have orange clay soil, that stains everything, to contend with: at least it is readily seen ;):mad:

WELL DONE! Ive done a 10km midnight walk for our local hospice so I know 18km is a good trek!

Reason I never do long walks in sandals. I find it very uncomfortable.

Yesterday we visited the Yorkshire Air Ambulance at Nostell Priory to do an official handover of the money we raised. They use these events to publicize the charity and, although we raised the money and did this visit by way of thanking them for saving my life, there was genuine thanks from them to us for the money. They made us feel very welcome and our effort valued.
They use the same cheque, which is wipe clean, for every photo shoot. Our final total is £4,644.32. Thanks again to those of you that contributed. We're quite moved by people's generosity.
20190103_104653.jpg

This is Sam, one of the paramedics that kept me alive on the way to the hospital. He says it's the best job he's ever had.
20190103_112004.jpg

Obligatory picture of me photographing the photographer.
20190103_112203.jpg

The operations room. That man is monitoring all 999 emergency calls across Yorkshire in real time. It's his job to decide when to respond. They told us it's the most stressful job on site so they rotate the role throughout the whole team.
20190103_114329.jpg

I wasn't there to take pics and many of my in the moment shots were poorly framed but I quite liked this one of the helicopter returning from dropping someone off at Huddersfield Hospital.
20190103_101918.jpg

There's a film team that follows the helicopter around and produces a TV show called Helicopter ER. They filmed an exit interview with me and my footage is likely to be aired this summer. My 15 minutes of fame has come.
20190103_105251.jpg

And to finish off. The bus driver pleaded guilty when it went to court. I don't know what the sentence was but the police were seeking the highest they could get under the law because of the horrific injuries I sustained.

That pretty much draws a line under the whole thing. Normal business has resumed. :D

Yesterday we visited the Yorkshire Air Ambulance at Nostell Priory to do an official handover of the money we raised. They use these events to publicize the charity and, although we raised the money and did this visit by way of thanking them for saving my life, there was genuine thanks from them to us for the money. They made us feel very welcome and our effort valued.
They use the same cheque, which is wipe clean, for every photo shoot. Our final total is £4,644.32. Thanks again to those of you that contributed. We're quite moved by people's generosity.
View attachment 118756
This is Sam, one of the paramedics that kept me alive on the way to the hospital. He says it's the best job he's ever had.
View attachment 118758
Obligatory picture of me photographing the photographer.View attachment 118759
The operations room. That man is monitoring all 999 emergency calls across Yorkshire in real time. It's his job to decide when to respond. They told us it's the most stressful job on site so they rotate the role throughout the whole team.
View attachment 118760
I wasn't there to take pics and many of my in the moment shots were poorly framed but I quite liked this one of the helicopter returning from dropping someone off at Huddersfield Hospital.View attachment 118762
There's a film team that follows the helicopter around and produces a TV show called Helicopter ER. They filmed an exit interview with me and my footage is likely to be aired this summer. My 15 minutes of fame has come.
View attachment 118763
And to finish off. The bus driver pleaded guilty when it went to court. I don't know what the sentence was but the police were seeking the highest they could get under the law because of the horrific injuries I sustained.

That pretty much draws a line under the whole thing. Normal business has resumed. :D
Wow, this is a wonderful end to the whole saga! It could have been sooooo different couldn’t it. What a marvellous amount of money you all raised. You should be very proud. Don’t they look a lovely bunch of people - and the photo of the Two Sams is just so heartwarming.:inlove:

View attachment 118756
View attachment 118758
View attachment 118760
I wasn't there to take pics and many of my in the moment shots were poorly framed but I quite liked this one of the helicopter returning from dropping someone off at Huddersfield Hospital.View attachment 118762
View attachment 118763

Thank you for the example you set and for sharing your story. Wishing for you all that you so richly deserve in this new year. Cheers!

View attachment 118756
View attachment 118758
View attachment 118760
View attachment 118763

And everything has come full circle. :inlove: An amazing and heartwarming story indeed. And what could be better than two Sams?!?! :D Looking forward to seeing the interview! xo

The episode is due to air 9pm Monday on Really (I think thats the channel). Either way they are going to send me a DVD of the episode so if there's peole who are interested that can't access it, I'll make sure theres a link to it as soon as I can.
Wonderful! I’m in a different time zone so I will miss it.

It's a challenging watch but given they got my age, weight and the vehicle I hit wrong, we've had plenty to laugh about. Turns out I'm a fat, fighty, naughty young man.
We missed it!! Not because we were doing something else, or didn’t want to, but because we couldn’t get Really on this tv. I don’t know how many times we retuned it, but it was like it was censoring our viewing. Very annoying.

Back
Top Bottom