What are you watching?

The best thing I've seen this year by far is Giri/Haji. It's a BBC and Netflix collaboration and is filmed in English and Japanese with subtitles. It's at the same time a family drama, a romance and a cop/gangland thriller and it's just beautiful and moving. Wont be to everyones taste, I know someone who wanted a finish with less loose ends and fewer grey areas but for my money, that's part of it's charm.

What I came here to say, though, is Mr Robot, as it comes silently kicking and screaming to it's conclusion, continues to enthrall, suprise and impress me. I don't know anyone who watches or is interested in watching it. I guess the nerd and hacker culture side to it will alienate quite a few people from the get go but being a nerd, its one of it's pulls for me. But that's ostensibly the series backdrop, I'd argue it's a psychological drama that takes what it wants from other genres as it goes along, crime, suspense, drug culture, global corporate corruption, and althought it's not sci-fi, it does what sci-fi does well by creating an alternative present that holds a mirror up to the world, society and current issues.

It's on it's 4th and last series/season and I love a good story that knows how to finish itself. (unlike the walking dead, for instance, which has gone on so long now that it's become a brain dead, shambling zombie of a programme itself that just wont die.) A specific finish suggests to me that the makers have a clear overview of thier own creation. They have a point A, point B and know how to get from one to the other via all the other plot points along the way. They are in it for the story, not driven by financial interests. (I'm still looking at you, the walking dead)

One of the things I love is it's playing with formats. It's takes it self quite lightly sometimes and puts fun, innapropriate or
silly stylisic spins on things that let you know you're just watching a TV programme, nothing special, just a bit of pulp. And the next minute it plunges you into full on shakepearian high drama and suspense. The latest episode is written like a stage play. It's set in 2 rooms with 3 main characters, 2 supports and is in 5 acts. It has set peices, monologues, character exposition, twists, psychological back and forths a christmas tree and thunder and lightning punctuating the action. It does all that and at the same time, it's pulled threads of plot lines and psychological and motivational whatsits from previous seasons that I'd forgotten, or thought the series had dropped, all back together in a suprising crescendo and topped it off with a shock ending.

Mr Robot wont appeal to everyone and, as it deals with some quite difficult topics and puts it's characters through difficult, sometimes upsetting, situations, it isn't always an easy watch. But the plot, the writing, the details, the production, the acting, all so well done that this is one of the stand out TV programmes that easily gets in my top ten, has got me to get off my comfy sofa, come and write it up here and spread the love.

Not a TV show but a documentary film, I've just watched 'Finding Vivian Maier'. Well worth a look, she was a fantastic photographer but completely unknown until after her death.
and if you can't find the documentary here is a link to some of her photographs. Amazing vision but she was a mystery.

thanks for the link John. As you say, amazing vision. And she looked at everything!

The best thing I've seen this year by far is Giri/Haji. It's a BBC and Netflix collaboration and is filmed in English and Japanese with subtitles. It's at the same time a family drama, a romance and a cop/gangland thriller and it's just beautiful and nancial interests. (I'm still looking at you, the walking dead)the plot, the writing, the details, the production, the acting, all so well done that this is one of the stand out TV programmes that easily gets in my top ten, has got me to get off my comfy sofa, come and write it up here and spread the love.

Community.
It's a comedy and a gem. It's up there with Cheers and Sienfield for me. Great writing, characterisation, clever, childish, fab. Takes half the first season to get warmed up but soars like an eagle from then on.

thanks for posting this, rizole - I like a detailed headsup on . . . well, pretty much any media, before I’ll take the plunge.
so Giri/Haji and Mr Robot are in my sights.
(I’m still grateful for the recommendation of Killing Eve :notworthy: )

The best thing I've seen this year by far is Giri/Haji. It's a BBC and Netflix collaboration and is filmed in English and Japanese with subtitles. It's at the same time a family drama, a romance and a cop/gangland thriller and it's just beautiful and moving. Wont be to everyones taste, I know someone who wanted a finish with less loose ends and fewer grey areas but for my money, that's part of it's charm.
It's not available yet on USA Netflix, but I've set a "reminder".
What I came here to say, though, is Mr Robot, as it comes silently kicking and screaming to it's conclusion, continues to enthrall, suprise and impress me. I don't know anyone who watches or is interested in watching it. I guess the nerd and hacker culture side to it will alienate quite a few people from the get go but being a nerd, its one of it's pulls for me. But that's ostensibly the series backdrop, I'd argue it's a psychological drama that takes what it wants from other genres as it goes along, crime, suspense, drug culture, global corporate corruption, and althought it's not sci-fi, it does what sci-fi does well by creating an alternative present that holds a mirror up to the world, society and current issues.
It's not on Netflix, and it seems I can't watch it on Hulu unless I upgrade my subscription. :(
Community.
It's a comedy and a gem. It's up there with Cheers and Sienfield for me. Great writing, characterisation, clever, childish, fab. Takes half the first season to get warmed up but soars like an eagle from then on.
I started watching this and I'm really enjoying it!

Oooooo.... I haven't watched that one yet... it must be good if you're keeping it in the same sentence as "Eve"!

loveloveloved it. rizole recommended it, and a few people has seen it. Took a while to find it. I think they’re planning another season, thought imo the last one drew a pretty good line under the story. (Interested to know what rizole thinks) And all the acting is good imo, but Sofia Helin is brilliant.

loveloveloved it. rizole recommended it, and a few people has seen it. Took a while to find it. I think they’re planning another season, thought imo the last one drew a pretty good line under the story. (Interested to know what rizole thinks) And all the acting is good imo, but Sofia Helin is brilliant.
That did feel like a proper ending. My other half says it's a bad idea to try and come back from a proper ending and I'd tend to agree., I've had my closure and wouldn't be as invested if they did another.

I find religion fascinating and what some people will do in the name of it :rolleyes:
I was fascinated by a different perspective: let’s say he IS the messiah (how did he walk on water? a parlor trick at the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool?) and how the government would do anything to discredit/eliminate him.

I was fascinated by a different perspective: let’s say he IS the messiah (how did he walk on water? a parlor trick at the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool?) and how the government would do anything to discredit/eliminate him.
I'm sure any government would want to eliminate/discredit anyone that could lead a large body of people against them in any way. Religious power, political power it's all the same. Hasn't the walk on water trick been done already by various magicians?
Dynamo in London.

Back
Top Bottom