What are you watching?

Right now I am watching a long time favourite Midsomer Murders, new S20 was just posted so I have all six shows.

I am a big fan of some foreign tv shows.
Rejseholdet Unit One) from Denmark. There 32 episodes over four seasons. Typical Scandinavian Police show.
My Love from Another Star from Korea that I quite like. 21 episodes, Sci-Fi
De Dag (The Day) from Belgium, 10 episode in the first season that just finished airing.
Bron/Broen (The Bridge) from Sweden, 10 episodes in the current season 4.
I’m searching for something to watch over the summer. I usually indulge myself in a lunch hour show. I’ll be checking out Midsomer Murders.

I download almost all the shows I watch. Biggest advantage to me is zero commercials and I can watch them when I want to, and I can watch on my iPad, 24” iMac or our 52” tv. There are sites that have a lot of the older and some brand new foreign tv shows. Some I know have been on NetFlix but I never bought that. If I like the show I burn the episodes or series to DVD and I have a lot of binders full of them. I have every episode of Midsomer Murders from S01 all the way to S20 and yes I will rewatch them or my kids will come over and borrow the dvd’s. Most of what I watch on cable is the sports that nobody captures, like Canadian Football and car races. When a new show starts I will watch a couple episodes on TV and if I like it I will download them.
I use a custom spreadsheet and text files to keep track of what I have kept on DVD and its a lot.
Shows like the original Avengers, NCIS, MASH etc
I loved the original Midsummer Murders but it was never the same for me once the original John Barnaby retired from the show so I didn’t watch it after that.

What I wanna know is where do people get the time to watch all this stuff?? I’m bewildered by all the shows and movies. I suppose we didn’t have anything decent in HK and now I spend more time surfing the net.

I download almost all the shows I watch. Biggest advantage to me is zero commercials and I can watch them when I want to, and I can watch on my iPad, 24” iMac or our 52” tv. There are sites that have a lot of the older and some brand new foreign tv shows. Some I know have been on NetFlix but I never bought that. If I like the show I burn the episodes or series to DVD and I have a lot of binders full of them. I have every episode of Midsomer Murders from S01 all the way to S20 and yes I will rewatch them or my kids will come over and borrow the dvd’s. Most of what I watch on cable is the sports that nobody captures, like Canadian Football and car races. When a new show starts I will watch a couple episodes on TV and if I like it I will download them.
I use a custom spreadsheet and text files to keep track of what I have kept on DVD and its a lot.
Shows like the original Avengers, NCIS, MASH etc

Where do you download from, Larry? A bit torrent thing? Or ..... I don’t know, I’ve barely got my head around Netflix . Ive just learned that no, Netflix does not in fact have every single movie and/or series ever made. And I’m very disappointed.

Yes some were from torrents but on one forum I am on that has a lot of local TV there used to be a couple of guys that always posted foreign shows. They just asked that if you were going to share the links elswhere that they were given some credit for posting it originally unfortunately some others were posting them elsewhere and claiming it was them that posted them originally so they left. Had an email from one asking if I would be interested in getting the shows but they wanted it kept like a private group and that lasted about 4 or five moths and then found a lot of their shows were being reposted elsewhere again so they don’t do that any more. A Place call Rapidmoviez posts the shows just not as many and many times if you request it you might get it or may not. So yes I am back mostly to torrents.

Yes some were from torrents but on one forum I am on that has a lot of local TV there used to be a couple of guys that always posted foreign shows. They just asked that if you were going to share the links elswhere that they were given some credit for posting it originally unfortunately some others were posting them elsewhere and claiming it was them that posted them originally so they left. Had an email from one asking if I would be interested in getting the shows but they wanted it kept like a private group and that lasted about 4 or five moths and then found a lot of their shows were being reposted elsewhere again so they don’t do that any more. A Place call Rapidmoviez posts the shows just not as many and many times if you request it you might get it or may not. So yes I am back mostly to torrents.

Wow. So much to learn.

Not sure anyone has mentioned this, The Handmaid's Tale. I missed season 1 and have only just got around to watching and its powerful stuff indeed.

I had to read Margaret Atwood for two or three units in my Lit major and I did not like her work one bit . And I find movies, books, whatever - especially series - of stories about exploitation unbearable to watch.

Shame, because there’s a lot more than ‘stories of exploitation’ in series like The Handmaid’s Tale. That’ll be why I’m pretty much film illiterate. Scandinavian noir and Coen bros type stuff makes everything a bit surreal and thus less distressing for me.

Not sure anyone has mentioned this, The Handmaid's Tale. I missed season 1 and have only just got around to watching and its powerful stuff indeed.

A friend (a journo who writes fantasy fiction & watches Marvel hero movies so possibly not to be trusted) recommended the short series The Expanse. Have you seen that ?

I had to read Margaret Atwood for two or three units in my Lit major and I did not like her work one bit . And I find movies, books, whatever - especially series - of stories about exploitation unbearable to watch.

Shame, because there’s a lot more than ‘stories of exploitation’ in series like The Handmaid’s Tale. That’ll be why I’m pretty much film illiterate. Scandinavian noir and Coen bros type stuff makes everything a bit surreal and thus less distressing for me.
My wife watched 3 episodes and then refused to watch any more, it can be distressing, particularly from a woman's viewpoint I agree.

A friend (a journo who writes fantasy fiction & watches Marvel hero movies so possibly not to be trusted) recommended the short series The Expanse. Have you seen that ?

I've not but funnily enough I was looking into that only yesterday as a possible view.
It's worth a watch. Well made, written and produced. I've a few gripes with it, the characters can be a bit two dimensional at times IMO but I'd give it 7/10 despite that.

After several fruitless searches for TheBridge on Netflix, I discover it is not available on an Australian subscription :( And I don’t know how these things work - do people have multiple subscriptions to media streaming services like Amazon, um . . What else?

After several fruitless searches for TheBridge on Netflix, I discover it is not available on an Australian subscription :( And I don’t know how these things work - do people have multiple subscriptions to media streaming services like Amazon, um . . What else?
The Bridge isn't on Netflix :lmao:
Yes you either pick one provider and miss the other stuff or you throw shed loads of money at Sky (UK) Netflix, Amazon etc etc.
Or you take the darker path of the torrents :rolleyes:
I have the first season of the Bridge on my hard drive (unwatched) maybe I can dropbox them to you one at a time !

I • L•O•V•E • T•H•I•S • S•H•O•W

I just discovered The IT Crowd (a decade later :lmao:) and I’m going crazy trying to think who sounds exactly like Richard Ayoade. I’ve looked at all Ayoade’s credits and it’s not him in a different role I’m thinking of. Anyone ? o_O

I just discovered The IT Crowd (a decade later :lmao:) and I’m going crazy trying to think who sounds exactly like Richard Ayoade. I’ve looked at all Ayoade’s credits and it’s not him in a different role I’m thinking of. Anyone ? o_O
I’ve never seen The IT or heard of Richard Ayoade.... :confused:

The Bridge isn't on Netflix :lmao:
Yes you either pick one provider and miss the other stuff or you throw shed loads of money at Sky (UK) Netflix, Amazon etc etc.
Or you take the darker path of the torrents :rolleyes:
I have the first season of the Bridge on my hard drive (unwatched) maybe I can dropbox them to you one at a time !
OR.... you have a friend with Hulu who will share their username + password with you, and you in turn share your Netflix info with them, etc. :whistle:

The IT crowd was written by Graham Linehan who also wrote Father Ted and Black Books if either of them are familiar to you. He's had a hand in much of UK comedy over the last 3 decades.
So much out there! I’ve not heard of any of those shows.

Right now it’s “Jane the Virgin”.... From the title, I’d probably not ever have even looked at the trailer, but I read an article about the “10 Best” on Netflix and this got rave reviews so I watched one...... and another, and another.... I’m halfway through Season 3 now. :rolleyes::whistle:

It’s filmed very uniquely and quirky.... (think of an Ugly Betty meets Kimmy Schmidt sort of vibe) and it’s created kind of like a modern day telenovella, complete with a character who’s an actor in a telenovella (oh how I love Rogelio!) I find the show hilarious (I’ve LOL’d very loudly many times) and (surprisingly... well not surprising that I cry because I’ve cried at commercials, but surprising because it’s a comedy) I’ve cried in several episodes. I love this show! :inlove:

The IT crowd was written by Graham Linehan who also wrote Father Ted and Black Books if either of them are familiar to you. He's had a hand in much of UK comedy over the last 3 decades.

I love Black Books. The three of them are great, but Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey could just riff on each other’s lines for hours - great fun. I like Tamsin Greig best in her solo scenes - better than when she’s foil to Moran and Bailey.

I read somewhere that Bill Bailey is some multi-talented wunderkind - I wonder how often IQ and other talents correlate with ‘great standup’

I love Black Books. The three of them are great, but Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey could just riff on each other’s lines for hours - great fun. I like Tamsin Greig best in her solo scenes - better than when she’s foil to Moran and Bailey.

I read somewhere that Bill Bailey is some multi-talented wunderkind - I wonder how often IQ and other talents correlate with ‘great standup’
Another podcast I like is the comedian's comedian podcast where Stuart Goldsmith (a comedian) interviews other comedians. There's a ton of them and not comedy, mostly interesting and insightful stuff.

Back
Top Bottom