Dolly Where in the World is Dolly??

The weather has not been good for outdoor photographs - it's been wet and windy. But we managed to all get out and about today and I took the boys and girls to meet some of the people I see on a weekly, sometimes daily, basis.

IMG_0346.JPG

This is Mark. He's a Big Issue seller. For those who might not be familiar with The Big Issue, it's a foundation producing magazines that offer people facing poverty and exclusion the opportunity to earn their own money; a livelihood. The Big Issue Foundation is an independent charity supporting people experiencing exclusion, frequently including periods of homelessness. Mark is at this corner (his pitch) every day except Sundays. He has lung cancer. He has declined chemotherapy in favour of more natural remedies - these seem to be keeping the disease at bay at the moment. Rog and I see Mark every week and we always buy a magazine. He was delighted to pose with the troupe. He thought it was a great idea and was going to look at Mobitog when he got home.

The weather has not been good for outdoor photographs - it's been wet and windy. But we managed to all get out and about today and I took the boys and girls to meet some of the people I see on a weekly, sometimes daily, basis.

View attachment 86517

This is Mark. He's a Big Issue seller. For those who might not be familiar with The Big Issue, it's a foundation producing magazines that offer people facing poverty and exclusion the opportunity to earn their own money; a livelihood. The Big Issue Foundation is an independent charity supporting people experiencing exclusion, frequently including periods of homelessness. Mark is at this corner (his pitch) every day except Sundays. He has lung cancer. He has declined chemotherapy in favour of more natural remedies - these seem to be keeping the disease at bay at the moment. Rog and I see Mark every week and we always buy a magazine. He was delighted to pose with the troupe. He thought it was a great idea and was going to look at Mobitog when he got home.

Awww [emoji177] Nice man, no big issue. He looks seriously pleased. [emoji4]
Super sweet picture. Will Mark also travel with them? Bet he is tempted. [emoji4]
Oh what a troup! I love their scarfs! [emoji175] And the doggies don't get cold? [emoji15]

Awww [emoji177] Nice man, no big issue. He looks seriously pleased. [emoji4]
Super sweet picture. Will Mark also travel with them? Bet he is tempted. [emoji4]
Oh what a troup! I love their scarfs! [emoji175] And the doggies don't get cold? [emoji15]
Thanks Gouvy. I crocheted the scarves when they arrived. No, the pups are hardy and always on the go, so always warm :D.

Still loving this concept, can hardly wait until they visit me :)
It is awesome that you have joined in with volunteering to put up (with) Dolly & her ever increasing entourage... :notworthy:

And on that point - if ANYONE else would like to host Dolly & Co please sign up here or let RoseCat know and she will add you to the list of volunteer shepherds... :D

That's a great iMage of Mark, he should be very pleased with that Jilly... :notworthy:

Dolly and her troupe should be immensely honoured to be in such special company... :D

View attachment 86517

Fantastic! That's what I call brave! I'm sure the troupe were proud to stand there with Mark having a photo taken!

Last edited:

View attachment 86517

This is an amazing image, and story. Kind of like the Dolly et al version of Humans of New York. [emoji178][emoji179][emoji179][emoji179]

lI crocheted the scarves when they arrived.
[emoji33]
[emoji144]‍♀️
[emoji173][emoji173][emoji173][emoji173][emoji173][emoji173][emoji173]

Omgosh! I thought it was hard to juggle Dolly with her boots and hat! She was quite particular about that hat, you know! Now we have Dolly, Molly, Roxy, Joey and 2 pups? I think I'd be needing a swig of that whiskey before every outing! [emoji23][emoji12]

I'm loving how this has grown since the beginning.

Oh and her sunglasses! I swear I lost them every day and we had to search for them. That is until one of the kids got smart and suggested putting them up in a safe spot. Life with a traveling ewe... telling you, it has hazards.

Yes, especially when the herd grew. [emoji1]
If you like to see it completely, please feel free to have a look here, too:
Dolly & Co. - The missing days
https://www.mobitog.com/index.php?threads/Dolly-&-Co.---The-missing-days.22290/
[emoji16]
Still a few days left to put up. [emoji4]

The little troupe visited the charity shop supporting the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance. The air ambulance is a helicopter with doctors on board that attends incidents in Warwickshire and Northants where a life is at risk and an ambulance would take too long to get to a hospital. Considering that this is such a vital service, it's shocking to me that this service has no government funding, but is run only on donations and the proceeds from shops like this one.

IMG_0338.JPG

This is Faith and Anne. Faith is the shop manager and Anne is a volunteer. Faith and Anne looked after Brandy and Spot until I took them to join the circus little gang. :D I'm a regular here as they sell such great stuff.

The little troupe visited the charity shop supporting the Warwickshire and Northamptonshire Air Ambulance. The air ambulance is a helicopter with doctors on board that attends incidents in Warwickshire and Northants where a life is at risk and an ambulance would take too long to get to a hospital. Considering that this is such a vital service, it's shocking to me that this service has no government funding, but is run only on donations and the proceeds from shops like this one.

View attachment 86552

This is Faith and Anne. Faith is the shop manager and Anne is a volunteer. Faith and Anne looked after Brandy and Spot until I took them to join the circus little gang. :D I'm a regular here as they sell such great stuff.

Lovely. [emoji4]
But you know, I like it, that in England are so many charity shops to collect money for such things or other. In Germany they do either nothing or ask for a cheque/money donated via accounts, asked via TV commercials (no they usually don't pay for it, that's how broadcasters donate). Or people with piggy banks are on the street, but charity shops for special groups is near to nothing here. I'm quite happy we have an oxfam since a couple of years.
Only sometimes it happens that for instance churches put up a flea market once a year, with donated stuff and to collect for whatever said project or charity.
But for the English shops I always wonder how they do it. I mean there is the shop to pay, electricity and also heating. The "workers" work in a voluntary capacity if I understood that right, but there is still money that has to be made to pay for the facilities. How do they manage? [emoji15]

View attachment 86552

What a wonderful place! I'd shop there too. Looks like Dolly and Crew are having quite a philanthropic visit! [emoji179]

Lovely. [emoji4]
But you know, I like it, that in England are so many charity shops to collect money for such things or other. In Germany they do either nothing or ask for a cheque/money donated via accounts, asked via TV commercials (no they usually don't pay for it, that's how broadcasters donate). Or people with piggy banks are on the street, but charity shops for special groups is near to nothing here. I'm quite happy we have an oxfam since a couple of years.
Only sometimes it happens that for instance churches put up a flea market once a year, with donated stuff and to collect for whatever said project or charity.
But for the English shops I always wonder how they do it. I mean there is the shop to pay, electricity and also heating. The "workers" work in a voluntary capacity if I understood that right, but there is still money that has to be made to pay for the facilities. How do they manage? [emoji15]
They get lots of subsidies from the Government if they are a registered charity. Rent, council tax, etc will all be subsidised. :)

Oh, I see! But in the end it would be more effective if the hive the money directly to the charity, wouldn't it? But I prefer it this way, I just love to look around in those shops. [emoji1]
It's easy for people to walk into a shop and donate or buy. I don't think charities would get so much or sell so much otherwise. On balance I think they will generate more money.

Today was inspired by GroovyGouvy Gouvy :rolleyes:. The weather today is awful - windy, wet, cold and with dire warnings of snow from Rog. Just the sort of day to take the little gang out. :lol: Inspired by Gouvy's comment to Ann about showing the sights to the gang as if the owner was here, we went off to Kettering Museum to look at the Agatha Christie Exhibition. I'm a big fan.

Steve was on the Reception Desk and gave us permission to roam around taking photos. He liked the idea of the gang's travels around the globe.

IMG_2973.JPG

The car, the clock and the 1953 Everest Expedition boots were all made locally.

IMG_2976.JPG

Coincidentally, today is the anniversary of the death of Agatha Christie.

More soon.:)

Today was inspired by GroovyGouvy Gouvy :rolleyes:. The weather today is awful - windy, wet, cold and with dire warnings of snow from Rog. Just the sort of day to take the little gang out. :lol: Inspired by Gouvy's comment to Ann about showing the sights to the gang as if the owner was here, we went off to Kettering Museum to look at the Agatha Christie Exhibition. I'm a big fan.

Steve was on the Reception Desk and gave us permission to roam around taking photos. He liked the idea of the gang's travels around the globe.

View attachment 86689
The car, the clock and the 1953 Everest Expedition boots were all made locally.

View attachment 86688
Coincidentally, today is the anniversary of the death of Agatha Christie.

More soon.:)

Ooooh, this is lovely! The old car is stunning! All those exhibits! Want to go there next time. And sooo cool to be there for Agatha's anniversary. Love the collages!! [emoji177][emoji177][emoji177]

Ooooh, this is lovely! The old car is stunning! All those exhibits! Want to go there next time. And sooo cool to be there for Agatha' anniversary. Love the collages!! [emoji177][emoji177][emoji177]
:thumbs: Thank you Gouvy. I also made Lebkuchen today - so today was definitely Gouvy Day. It wasn't as good as the Lebkuchen you sent to us, obviously, but it's edible. :rolleyes:

When I was in the Air Ambulance charity shop on Tuesday, I met Emma who runs the Kettering Museum and Art Gallery. It was she who told me about the Agatha Christie exhibition. Whilst I was visiting the museum I took the gang around to see what other exhibits they had there.

IMG_2974.JPG

It turns out that the wool trade was responsible for the town's prosperity and Dolly and Molly were amused by the little diorama of the Market Square and Sheep Street (which is where the museum and art gallery is situated - what a coincidence!). You can see how Sheep Street got it's name.

Roxy and Joey were interested in the Joey The Amazing Dancing Clown poster.

And apparently Woolly Rhinoceroses (Rhinocerii???) roamed this area 28,000 years ago. The gang were astounded. D and M thought they were the only woolly things.

19th of December
Another trip into the inner city for Christmas shopping. For the girls I took some different streets as usual to see if we might find surprises. And we did. For the first time a part of the Christmas market was run by the homosexual community in its own square with "Pink Christmas" banners and a pink tree in the middle.
7cca719fc8afd642b142e73ed5c24bd4.jpg

Because I've been with tourists I had another view to it all. It was the first time I saw how huge our seasonal market is. Around the Hauptwache, a little on the Zeil, and from there straight down to the Römer, there in the square and inside, behind the Ostzeile, down to the river and some 30 meters along it. I think If you want to see it all it's 2 kilometres walk or more.
I remember Americans like the Black Forest, even they had a stand with food and drink from their region.
ba0cc217948e71c7c40c21f9bdbc43a3.jpg

And behind it was a little shop that is there all year and I always like to have a look inside: The "Teddy-Paradies". And we even got some things there. Will come back to that in a couple of days. [emoji6]
5378bc1a9be781f31162f121e88e7c63.jpg

Maybe from other threads you remember me showing that shopping mall with architectural eye candy, the MyZeil? Been there with the traveling four and the decoration over the entrance left us gobsmacked. The life sized reindeers, the one that lifted up into that tunnel … breathtaking! Never seen such a wonderful decoration anywhere before.
Reindeers and trees were also inside, but they more destroyed the usual impressive impact. Or maybe it was because already dark, been there only in daylight before. Don't know, but we all loved the outside and stood there some minutes just take it in.
a402b4c39dc7f213e2431f4bcebab580.jpg

When we made our way through the MyZeil, and used the back exit, we faced the Thurn and Taxis Palais, where we found another surprise: yet another part of the Christmas market in the inner yard, beautifully illuminated, music playing, huts with food and/or drink and so many people! We had a Cranberry-Ginger-Glühpunch and joined the scene.
284a64cd1fe478a15632135461b2fb3d.jpg

6s+ native cam, FusionHDR, Snapseed, LightBrush, PolaroidFX.
Entrance to MyZeil is fantastic! And love the Colour in the Inner Yard of the Thurn + Taxis Paladins.
Very interesting to see stuff like this, makes the sites around here look bland :)

The finale to our little trip to Kettering was visiting The Blitz Tearoom and Jazz Lounge for afternoon tea. It's a 40s inspired tea room, as you can see.

IMG_2978.JPG

The top picture shows Diane and Justin who run the tea room, with the little gang on and around the typewriter. Justin really got into the swing by sucking on a pipe (not lit) and holding a bust of Churchill (whose speech was played through speakers, along with an air raid siren!!!!). The menu was in the style of a ration book. The scone was huge with lashings of cream and jam. Yum.

:thumbs: Thank you Gouvy. I also made Lebkuchen today - so today was definitely Gouvy Day. It wasn't as good as the Lebkuchen you sent to us, obviously, but it's edible. :rolleyes:

[emoji1] I don't know what kind of Lebkuchen you re doing, but if it's into direction ginger bread, the only recipes I know will take month! Your dough has to rest days or even weeks and after baking the pieces have to be stored in a tin until you can eat them. An aunt of mine started with them in September and they were eaten at Christmas. I'm too impatient for such bakery. [emoji1] and yes, you won't top Elisen Lebkuchen. Not with recipes from somewhere. Against this stuff everything fails. [emoji1]

Back
Top Bottom