Ann’s Arty Attempts

This is an interesting topic and one that is hard to nail down...I wrote a blog post about a personal experience with plagiarism a while back. If interested, you can find my two-cents worth on
https://isaacsdaughterryn.wordpress.com/2016/04/03/plagiarism
Wow, how interesting is that! Yes, you can never trust your sub-conscious not to store stuff you don’t remember. Poor guy. I feel for him. Artists may well be more prone to this than ordinary people because they see more detail.

This is an interesting topic and one that is hard to nail down...I wrote a blog post about a personal experience with plagiarism a while back. If interested, you can find my two-cents worth on
https://isaacsdaughterryn.wordpress.com/2016/04/03/plagiarism
Very interesting indeed!! Wow. Well, we only use a tiny portion of our brain, so I’ve no doubt there’s all sorts of things hidden or locked away... like some crazy giant attic filled to the brim.

I

It’s the reason I don’t often take part on the iColorama Facebook page. Everybody uses images from Pixabay. I mean what’s the point??

I recently started following the FB iColorama feed and a bit surprised to see so many pixabay images - I don’t have a moral issue with people using public domain stock images, I was surprised bcs I think of iColorama artists as somehow elite (bcs they’ve mastered iColorama, I know :alien:) and, I don’t know, producing ‘signature’ work.

I was a bit surprised to see a couple of pixabay images in the MIRA (?) finalists, too. Again, i don’t have a moral issue with use of public domain images that are specifically offered for creative purposes. But, hmm. If the pixabay image was so recognisable, maybe the pixabay artist should’ve been credited.

Thinks: hmm. ‘Should’ implies the moral position I’ve denied. Hope no one notices.

Wow, how interesting is that! Yes, you can never trust your sub-conscious not to store stuff you don’t remember.

Isn’t it! And that’s not a particularly usual story. There’s all kinds of interesting research in psychology and neuroscience about memory. I remember being blown away reading a [randomised controlled peer reviewed etc] study that managed to evoke in participants a detailed memory of a hot air balloon ride they had never had. No hypnosis, either.

Artists may well be more prone to this than ordinary people because they see more detail.

Also people who’ve suffered traumatic illnesses — ‘hypervigilance’ is a symptom, but some people who recover from the worst of the traumatic illness (flashbacks, intrusive memories etc) seem to retain an acute detailed vision.... Sortof like an ability that is now used for good rather than evil :)

study that managed to evoke in participants a detailed memory of a hot air balloon ride they had never had. No hypnosis, either.
Sometimes I might have a “memory”, but am unsure whether it’s a true memory, or that I’ve heard/told the story so many times I think I was there. Weird.

I recently started following the FB iColorama feed and a bit surprised to see so many pixabay images - I don’t have a moral issue with people using public domain stock images, I was surprised bcs I think of iColorama artists as somehow elite (bcs they’ve mastered iColorama, I know :alien:) and, I don’t know, producing ‘signature’ work.

I was a bit surprised to see a couple of pixabay images in the MIRA (?) finalists, too. Again, i don’t have a moral issue with use of public domain images that are specifically offered for creative purposes. But, hmm. If the pixabay image was so recognisable, maybe the pixabay artist should’ve been credited.

Thinks: hmm. ‘Should’ implies the moral position I’ve denied. Hope no one notices.
Yes I do use Pixabay images for some of my edits
Over here in Mobitog most of the the images I post are taken from my mobile and edited either on my iPad4 or iPhone 6s Plus
I should say that most of the iColorama artists are not elite They are like you and me trying to create something out of an image.
Lets says portraits
Most of us do not have the luxury of people or models posting of us to take their photograph. So Pixabay or Sktchy images comes in
My thought and opinion
Hope no one are offended

Over here in Mobitog most of the the images I post are taken from my mobile and edited either on my iPad4 or iPhone 6s Plus
I should say that most of the iColorama artists are not elite They are like you and me trying to create something out of an image.
Lets says portraits
Most of us do not have the luxury of people or models posting of us to take their photograph. So Pixabay or Sktchy images comes in
My thought and opinion
Hope no one are offended

Always glad to hear your thoughts and opinion, Kuan Meng. What you say about models makes sense. I’ve also appreciated having Pixabay (or other stock portraits) to practise drawing silhouettes, eyes etc.

Lets says portraits
My thought and opinion
Hope no one are offended

Two things come to mind here. The first is that I also use Sktchy portraits to help develop a technique. I’ve got some truly outstanding images on my camera roll that come from those techniques. But that’s where they stay. I then use those techniques on my own images and post them instead. I try to capture my own images to look somewhat like the original Sktchy photos, so the technique works well on them. And I take a lot of pictures of myself, since, as you say, most people don’t have access to model shots.

Second, one thing that drives me up the wall is when people say their source is from Pixabay or Sktchy - and that’s it. Those images are from a particular contributor to those sites, and common courtesy would dictate identifying the photographer as well as the site. So if you’re going to use those images - and they ARE free for use, after all - then say “image from Pixabay by username”.

(One of the reasons that I won’t post any of my Sktchy “collaborations” is that I didn’t think ahead and note the user’s name. I’m far from immune from the problem of just grabbing a photo and starting work.)

The Mira Mobile Contest is BW isn’t it? Can’t possibly have pixabay images in that. Are you thinking of MPA Awards? I always thought it all had to be done on a mobile device but I have just had a look at the rules and this is point 5:

Entrant asserts that all submitted images have been shot and/or edited (processed with apps) or otherwise created with any and all known mobile phone and tablet devices. No desktop software is permitted. Entries which do not conform to these rules will be disqualified.

Interesting, I think the and/or in there means that the image could be shot on a camera. I just think that is completely wrong! I have always been scrupulous about what I submit to these competitions. Disappointed.... Anything not taken on a mobile device does not make it a mobile image. Fullstop. Not a level playing field.

Last edited:
Lets says portraits
My thought and opinion
Hope no one are offended
If people want to manipulate general images, that’s up to them and I have no problem with that as long as they are not submitted in a mobile contest. Just me, but I do personally dismiss images I think people didn’t take themselves as inferior. I do think people should make more of an effort to take street photos to get images of people to use or take photos of shop window mannequins.

The Mira Mobile Contest is BW isn’t it? Can’t possibly have pixabay images in that. Are you thinking of MPA Awards? I always thought it all had to be done on a mobile device but I have just had a look at the rules and this is point 5:

Entrant asserts that all submitted images have been shot and/or edited (processed with apps) or otherwise created with any and all known mobile phone and tablet devices. No desktop software is permitted. Entries which do not conform to these rules will be disqualified.

Interesting, I think the and/or in there means that the image could be shot on a camera. I just think that is completely wrong! I have always been scrupulous about what I submit to these competitions. Disappointed.... Anything not taken on a mobile device does not make it a mobile image. Fullstop. Not a level playing field.
That's the Mira Mobile Prize you're talking about? I think that's just sloppy wording on their part (or maybe sloppy translation from the Portuguese?) Elsewhere they say "In some cases, participants may be asked to send in the original photograph, so as to ascertain that it was indeed taken and edited on a mobile device."

There were two Mira competitions this year, the B&W one most recently and a color/b&w one earlier.

If people want to manipulate general images, that’s up to them and I have no problem with that as long as they are not submitted in a mobile contest. Just me, but I do personally dismiss images I think people didn’t take themselves as inferior. I do think people should make more of an effort to take street photos to get images of people to use or take photos of shop window mannequins.
You are correct and I totally agreed with you
For a competition an image must be taken by the owner and not(NOT) by someone else and manipulate to your satisfaction for the competition that is cheating in my sense
As for art by itself a small degree of others work and edit to your style to a totally different image, for me is it ok and not to submit for competition, just to admire by others. As juryjone said an acknowledgment and credit to the actual owner is greatly appreciated for using his/her image
My opinion and thought

Ok, so I have been having a go at ‘polyvore’ type collages using my own images.

iColorama, Affinity, Snapseed, Adobe Capture, Hipstamatic

ADBE7C25-FD62-477F-8486-670D4C624E05.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, so I have been having a good at ‘polyvore’ type collages using my own images.

iColorama, Affinity, Snapseed, Adobe Capture, Hipstamatic

View attachment 104194

Nice. I love the repetition of the teal blue. Now help me understand how this method is more ‘polyvore’ than your other collages? I’m not seeing it. As in, I like it like I like all your collages - how is this one different ?
Edit: more sensible q: what have you done differently in this one?

So the big question is, is it better with or without textures?

Snapseed, iColorama, Affinity, Imaengine, Adobe Capture, SuperImposeX
View attachment 104195

With Distressed FX
View attachment 104196

Hm. I like them both. Maybe.....with texture better? But I like the palette of the without texture.
Yep, after a few back & forths, that’s official: I can’t pick :D

Back
Top Bottom