Ann’s Arty Attempts

Interesting, I think the and/or in there means that the image could be shot on a camera. I just think that is completely wrong! I have always been scrupulous about what I submit to these competitions. Disappointed.... Anything not taken on a mobile device does not make it a mobile image. Fullstop. Not a level playing field.
I’m not sure about that? I think the “and/or” could just be a grammatical error on their part because all the other wording makes it clear that it’s mobile/tablet only.

So the big question is, is it better with or without textures?

Snapseed, iColorama, Affinity, Imaengine, Adobe Capture, SuperImposeX
View attachment 104195

With Distressed FX
View attachment 104196
I prefer the colors in the first one... I think added texture is great, I’m not quite in love with that particular texture you used in the second one.

I prefer the colors in the first one... I think added texture is great, I’m not quite in love with that particular texture you used in the second one.
Yes, I agree. I struggled to find a texture in DistressedFX that kept the original colours but still gave it a more textured look something I often find with this app. I should have tried another app.

That's the Mira Mobile Prize you're talking about? I think that's just sloppy wording on their part (or maybe sloppy translation from the Portuguese?) Elsewhere they say "In some cases, participants may be asked to send in the original photograph, so as to ascertain that it was indeed taken and edited on a mobile device."

There were two Mira competitions this year, the B&W one most recently and a color/b&w one earlier.

The quote I used was from the MPA Awards which is US based I think?

Nice. I love the repetition of the teal blue. Now help me understand how this method is more ‘polyvore’ than your other collages? I’m not seeing it. As in, I like it like I like all your collages - how is this one different ?
Edit: more sensible q: what have you done differently in this one?
Well, I’m trying to make it look more like a physical collage so if you were to look at it, you would say hmm, I don’t know whether that was made on a computer or by hand but I can’t help doing a lot of blending and then I think it doesn’t really look like it’s a collage stuck on paper. Usually I take one photograph and add to it and make it more painterly. With these I have been adding bits to the background and then adding my focal point. So I suppose this is the main difference and I am quite enjoying the process. I think it gives you more control.

EDIT: Also, I have been starting off with a colour palette right from the beginning. I take a photo or manipulation into Adobe Capture and then use the colours option to extract the colours. I think I sometimes use too many colours and now I am limiting myself which I think makes it hang together better.

Here is the palette I used for the bird collage although I changed the brown to purple:
39755884-84F7-4C53-A7A0-21133D06D416.jpeg

Last edited:
So the big question is, is it better with or without textures?

Snapseed, iColorama, Affinity, Imaengine, Adobe Capture, SuperImposeX
View attachment 104195

With Distressed FX
View attachment 104196

The texture here (as with light leak textures on photos) take away the perfection, the newness, the slickness. It gives it the sense of already having entered the body of art through the accumulation of time.

As you can tell, I’m a fan of texture. [emoji6]

Yes, I agree. I struggled to find a texture in DistressedFX that kept the original colours but still gave it a more textured look something I often find with this app. I should have tried another app.

I might suggest adding the DistressedFX texture to a neutral background and desaturating it, then blending the result in a different background. You can’t desaturate the texture in DistressedFX; only the image.

EDIT: Also, I have been starting off with a colour palette right from the beginning. I take a photo or manipulation into Adobe Capture and then use the colours option to extract the colours. I think I sometimes use too many colours and now I am limiting myself which I think makes it hang together better.

Brilliant!

The quote I used was from the MPA Awards which is US based I think?
Oh, yes, it is. They should pay more attention to their own language. :rolleyes: Their FAQ makes it clear:

Q. What devices are eligible for entry?

Images shot and edited on any mobile phone or tablet including iPhones, iPads, Android phones and tablets, Windows Phones, and the iPod touch are eligible for entry.

Q. Can I use my desktop or laptop to process or edit photos?

No! From a desktop computer you may compress file size, change file titles, and upload to our site. There should be no image alteration, crops, adjustments, or manipulations from a desktop or laptop. We will disqualify images created with apps which access desktop software using the mobile as a remote i.e apps such as AstroPad.

Last edited:
Slow Down
Apps: Photoshop Mix, Affinity, iColorama, Snapseed, Procreate

Some of the background was stamps on tissue paper with acrylic paint and then photographed.

Original
View attachment 104260

Hipstamatic texture
View attachment 104261

One of my own textures
View attachment 104262
These are all so beautiful Ann. I can see these as so many different things - cushions, a tryptic, postcards, coasters. A whole range that would sell out immediately.

More teal loveliness :inlove:

How do you make your stamps? I had some fun last summer carving bits of potato for grandbabies (and me)....and I’ve played a bit with India ink and random bits of wood and foil. Yet to try proper rubber stamps :)

More teal loveliness :inlove:

How do you make your stamps? I had some fun last summer carving bits of potato for grandbabies (and me)....and I’ve played a bit with India ink and random bits of wood and foil. Yet to try proper rubber stamps :)
Thanks, Jen. Interesting, I never used teal until I started doing art when I retired. I never wore anything which was turquoise but with art it has become my absolutely favourite colour and I have to stop using it the whole time.

I have to admit the stamp is a commercial one. It’s actually a rubber cake icing mold. In HK, there was a whole road of baking shops and the cake icing molds were as cheap as chips so I bought about 15 of them. :) My own stamps I make from foam board and foam sheets which are just dead easy to cut. I also have a stencil cutting machine and have always had big intentions of making lots of complex stencils from photographs but in fact I’ve done hardly any - certainly not enough to justify the price of the machine! I still have grand plans for it because it does lots of other things but like everything, it’s learning how to set it up again. Maybe next year :lol:.

Last edited:
I really like your arty attempts, which are not just attempts, but the real deal.
These are all just wonderful!! I agree with JillyG... I could totally see shops selling pillows, etc.
Aw, thanks folks. :inlove::inlove: There’s so much wonderful stuff out on the internet and without ever having had any formal art training, I feel very much like a wannabe artist. It doesn’t matter though because it gives me a lot of joy and everybody here is so encouraging.

I absolutely feel the same. Using bits of background from magazines and patterned envelopes doesn’t bother me but taking any sort of image makes me feel uneasy even if it’s in the public domain. I have on a very few occasions used drawings from old library collections that are in the public domain but I still don’t like it and prefer to use my own stuff. For me that’s the whole challenge. Making my own brushes, silhouettes, cut out images. In that way I don’t ever have to worry when I enter competitions. I know that all the stuff is mine and it was taken and produced on my iphone!

It’s the reason I don’t often take part on the iColorama Facebook page. Everybody uses images from Pixabay. I mean what’s the point??

It doesn’t seem to me there’s any shortage of material of your own to work with. The other thing about following online themes is that so many people are doing the same thing. Striking out on your own insures originality.

Back
Top Bottom