BargainWatch *post app bargains here*

DMD Panorama free today.

Did you have a look at the DMD Panorama app mentioned above? It has recently been updated. In their first paragraph info they mention their new app VRKit. So I went to have a look.
The VR app is free but it requires some hardware, conveniently :)-)) available at theVRkit.com. So I went to have a look!

The VR app requires a fisheye lens and after doing lots of tests with the available fisheye lenses they picked one which they sell at a very reasonable price. $12.99US, I think. The fisheye is a 160°.
Also, please note, they have made their own Rotator since the demise of Motrr, their former partner in the pano scene. Their Rotator looks to be a similar size to the old Motrr Galileo and seems to come with its own mini tripod legs(?).

I have written them to find out about two things. They mention their fisheye lens is not suitable for iPhone 7/8 Plus or X, presumably because the entrance pupil of the fisheye lens is too small for the Apple image stabilization, which is also why Moment had to redesign all their lenses.
So far I have found out they also have a new fisheye for iPhone 7/8 Plus but it is still in production and not ready yet for their web site. But they did offer me one of their few early versions. This new fisheye is a 180°.
I wondered if the Moment SuperFish lens (170°) would work and asked that as well.

I also wanted to know if their Rotator is suitable for DMD Panorama. It seems likely to me since the Rotator is connected to the iPhone via Bluetooth just like the Motrr and receives stop/start signals from the app.
Apparently, you can use the VR app manually, just like DMD Panorama. The Rotator just adds speed and precision to photo positions.

Looking at a photo of the Rotator (also a video showing it in action) it has a “U” shaped mount to hold the phone and it looks to be more universal than the Motrr mounts (one of their downfalls). The thing about any of these mounts is that they generally require the phone to be bare - without case. The extra thickness of the case won’t fit. I rely on the Moment case to mount my lenses so there’s a snag already.

The Motrr phone mounts were more complex because the Motrr was designed to do more than panoramas. It also made spherical images which placed the phone in horizontal positions which made the mounting more demanding.

Did you have a look at the DMD Panorama app mentioned above? It has recently been updated. In their first paragraph info they mention their new app VRKit. So I went to have a look.
The VR app is free but it requires some hardware, conveniently :)-)) available at theVRkit.com. So I went to have a look!

The VR app requires a fisheye lens and after doing lots of tests with the available fisheye lenses they picked one which they sell at a very reasonable price. $12.99US, I think. The fisheye is a 160°.
Also, please note, they have made their own Rotator since the demise of Motrr, their former partner in the pano scene. Their Rotator looks to be a similar size to the old Motrr Galileo and seems to come with its own mini tripod legs(?).

I have written them to find out about two things. They mention their fisheye lens is not suitable for iPhone 7/8 Plus or X, presumably because the entrance pupil of the fisheye lens is too small for the Apple image stabilization, which is also why Moment had to redesign all their lenses.
So far I have found out they also have a new fisheye for iPhone 7/8 Plus but it is still in production and not ready yet for their web site. But they did offer me one of their few early versions. This new fisheye is a 180°.
I wondered if the Moment SuperFish lens (170°) would work and asked that as well.

I also wanted to know if their Rotator is suitable for DMD Panorama. It seems likely to me since the Rotator is connected to the iPhone via Bluetooth just like the Motrr and receives stop/start signals from the app.
Apparently, you can use the VR app manually, just like DMD Panorama. The Rotator just adds speed and precision to photo positions.

Looking at a photo of the Rotator (also a video showing it in action) it has a “U” shaped mount to hold the phone and it looks to be more universal than the Motrr mounts (one of their downfalls). The thing about any of these mounts is that they generally require the phone to be bare - without case. The extra thickness of the case won’t fit. I rely on the Moment case to mount my lenses so there’s a snag already.

The Motrr phone mounts were more complex because the Motrr was designed to do more than panoramas. It also made spherical images which placed the phone in horizontal positions which made the mounting more demanding.
Reviews on Amazon are polar opposites probably because of misunderstandings. Maybe the app needs work. I do think that apart from the video on their website, the info is a bit sparse. I would think that the fisheye would have to be the right degrees to work with their calculations. The VR glasses look interesting too.

Reviews on Amazon are polar opposites probably because of misunderstandings. Maybe the app needs work. I do think that apart from the video on their website, the info is a bit sparse. I would think that the fisheye would have to be the right degrees to work with their calculations. The VR glasses look interesting too.

I have had good experiences with the DMD apps. I have seen them evolve over time and have no doubt the VR app will do the same.
When you open the VR kit app there are just 2 choices for lens selection. The 160 & 180 lenses. DMD say they tested virtually every fisheye lens available looking for suitable ones and found most were terrible. They picked 2 of the best available for the app. The 180 is for the 7 Plus and up due to the larger lens opening size. For the purpose of stitching together a 360/360 VR pano the outer edges of the lens performance is every bit as important as the centre. The particular distortion characteristics of the lens are part of the stitching program. That’s why the app cannot be used with other lenses.
Anyhow, I have ordered the 180 lens and the rotator and the order is on it’s way to me now so I will soon be able to tell you how well it works.
I also have a 2 lens 360° camera capable of making 360/360 stills and video and it has some issues of stitching where the two images meet. Also prone to lens flare.

Last edited:
I have had good experiences with the DMD apps. I have seen them evolve over time and have no doubt the VR app will do the same.
When you open the VR kit app there are just 2 choices for lens selection. The 160 & 180 lenses. DMD say they tested virtually every fisheye lens available looking for suitable ones and found most were terrible. They picked 2 of the best available for the app. The 180 is for the 7 Plus and up due to the larger lens opening size. For the purpose of stitching together a 360/360 VR pano the outer edges of the lens performance is every bit as important as the centre. The particular distortion characteristics of the lens are part of the stitching program. That’s why the app cannot be used with other lenses.
Anyhow, I have ordered the 180 lens and the rotator and the order is on it’s way to me now so I will soon be able to tell you how well it works.
I also have a 2 lens 360° camera capable of making 360/360 stills and video and it has some issues of stitching where the two images meet. Also prone to lens flare.
Ah, looking forward to finding out what you think!

Edit: had another look at a review. It seems that they are adding the ability to take a partial 360 video. I’m not really sure what the article meant by ‘partial’. Maybe it’s part photo part video, the video occurring for a short period during the stops. Very intrigued. They will also be bringing out a 2nd version of the rotator next year but probably too late for my trip. They have a limited number of the V1 rotator so quite keen to find out how yours does before their stock is sold out. I suppose I can still just use the DMD app on it’s own.

Last edited:
Ah, looking forward to finding out what you think!

Edit: had another look at a review. It seems that they are adding the ability to take a partial 360 video. I’m not really sure what the article meant by ‘partial’. Maybe it’s part photo part video, the video occurring for a short period during the stops. Very intrigued. They will also be bringing out a 2nd version of the rotator next year but probably too late for my trip. They have a limited number of the V1 rotator so quite keen to find out how yours does before their stock is sold out. I suppose I can still just use the DMD app on it’s own.

It’s good to know they are continuing to move forward. But knowing a version 2 of the rotator is already planned must mean they found things to improve and I will then have to look at upgrading something else. Does it never end?!
I think for 360 video you really need to shoot all directions at once, like those 360 cameras with the back-to-back fisheye lenses. There is an attachment for iPhone that does that. It would be nice to have water flowing. The thing about still photos is how lifeless they look with something like a waterfall. The same picture in video is mesmerizing.
There rotator is handy and makes the process automated and faster but is not really needed to make good 360 panoramas. There is a noticeable improvement going from hand held to a tripod, though.
One thing that can spoil a pano is having people moving around in the shot. If they are in the middle of a frame it can be ok but if they are on the edge they need to be in both frames and if they move they can be partly ghosted or only half there. You might get the front half of a car but the back half is missing.

I jumped on the cyber monday bandwagon and dropped the price of my Learn Photo365 app to 99 cents US.
Probably leave it there for a bit, so if you missed getting it Monday, no worries.
www.learnphoto365.com/apps has all the info on the various versions and links to the store (ignore the price on the site, they are on for 99 cents)
Happy shooting
Noel

I jumped on the cyber monday bandwagon and dropped the price of my Learn Photo365 app to 99 cents US.
Probably leave it there for a bit, so if you missed getting it Monday, no worries.
www.learnphoto365.com/apps has all the info on the various versions and links to the store (ignore the price on the site, they are on for 99 cents)
Happy shooting
Noel
Fabulous!

Folar is free today, a kind of Polaroid app.

Had time for test and writing so here are my two cents:
A joke.
On iPod 6th gen (might be similar to 5phone SE)
Output frontcam:
Frame & photo: 1512x1565 px
Photo only: 960x960 px
Output backcam:
Frame & photo: 1512x1565 PCs
Photo only: 2448x2448 px

Both cut to down to frame:
895x1123 px
And if you have to cut off the additional white frame to get a Polaroid, I'm sorry, but this is useless and the output is far too low.

You can choose what frame colour you want BEFORE shooting.
No changing afterwards.

You can add words and/or date or date only. (Nice part: just hit the time button and date is on.)
Font has to be chosen before in prefs. Later alteration not possible.

Folar. always on the frame – except you add some text. No switch off watermark or change, but vanished when text is added.

No watermark when save photo only.

What works nice is to all a new font. I've installed one I liked, but you can't change the preset fontsize, so it's cut off on top and bottom in every line.

Worst thing: you can't import Picts from camRoll.

Maybe someone will be happy with this little app, but there are far better Polaroid-like apps out there. Hopefully working with iOS 11.

Quite frankly, I’m not even going to waste my time with Folar. Every drawback you listed for Folar is solved in Polamatic. The resolution, even on this shot using the front camera and the 4x5 film, is a healthy 2400x3000.

IMG_0050.JPG

I review Polamatic here, if you’d like to know more.

https://enthusiasmnoted.wordpress.c...-polaroid-except-the-smell-and-messy-backing/

Quite frankly, I’m not even going to waste my time with Folar. Every drawback you listed for Folar is solved in Polamatic. The resolution, even on this shot using the front camera and the 4x5 film, is a healthy 2400x3000.

View attachment 102720

I review Polamatic here, if you’d like to know more.

https://enthusiasmnoted.wordpress.c...-polaroid-except-the-smell-and-messy-backing/

True, but Polamatic is no longer available at the AppStore. This is twice sad. Best available is instant. But I have to retest. Does you old Polamatic run on iOS 11? Haven't updated yet and don't before 11.3. Maybe even later …

True, but Polamatic is no longer available at the AppStore. This is twice sad. Best available is instant. But I have to retest. Does you old Polamatic run on iOS 11? Haven't updated yet and don't before 11.3. Maybe even later …

It’s too bad it’s no longer offered, because it still works in iOS 11.

I bought Infinity Photo today.
So far works pretty good on my Air 2 but it’s supposed to be the lowest ipad it will run on so if you using something older your out of luck. I didn’t get an email but saw it this morning in AppZapp. I have been watching this one for some time. $9.99US or $13.99CDN .
I always download large apps to the desktop then load onto the iPad from there and when downloading it said it was 800mb+ and after putting it on the iPad it takes up 1.07gig.

Back
Top Bottom