Jan Gray’s Project 365-2022

31st May - Boroughbridge
Our last day before going home. Stopped at Boroughbridge Camping and Caravan Site for one last night. Lovely site right by the river. In fact, so close, site is often closed as it frequently gets flooded after heavy rains. Alongside the river is a beautiful woodland and wildflower meadow which we had a wonderful walk, but, unfortunately for Izzy the grasses were very tall and she had to struggle through!

C61B9CC1-7E91-4DEE-9EE4-0B99E321FB80.jpeg

1st June - Fern
Got home to find the garden looking very different than when we left. One thing was the stumpery with the ferns have started to blossom and grow. This particular one has doubled in size in just over 2 weeks. This was taken using the stage light facility on the iPhone
CD995A84-B93B-48E8-8C3A-549AFCEDB0B8.jpeg

2nd June - Cuckoo Spit

This has become quite high profile if you watched Springwatch this year. Cuckoo spit is essentially a white frothy liquid secreted by the nymphs of the frog hopper bug. The nymph buries itself in these bubbles before transforming into a frog hopper.
4DFD52F1-2718-4B3D-B1DC-531DD36DBC95.jpeg

3rd June - The Three-Wheeler Club
I work as a volunteer at a local Hospice charity shop and tearoom and today we had a visit from members of the Three-Wheeler Club who are taking part on a charity run visiting all the hospices in the midlands.
926CA9FE-4A85-4210-9DD7-21FE51C4D310.jpeg

3rd June - The Three-Wheeler Club
I work as a volunteer at a local Hospice charity shop and tearoom and today we had a visit from members of the Three-Wheeler Club who are taking part on a charity run visiting all the hospices in the midlands.
View attachment 182766
How cool! We see a lot of three wheels around here, mostly motorcycle like, lately a few are more automobile, but nothing like these!

4th June - Ladybird Poppy
I love these blooms but sadly, they don’t last long. The petals are like paper and it only needs one downpour and they are gone, but if you can catch them when they just open like this, they are glorious. And the bees seem to like them as well.
84523451-30F8-4BB1-9588-CC4A6E279119.jpeg

5th June - Woodland ICM

Thought I’d have another go at ICM as todays walk in the woods was lovely when the sun shone and there was a stunning blue sky with no clouds. I think the ICM has brought out the twisty stems of the birch even more.

1B6040F1-8A93-4917-A9A1-EE5F4AD579DE.jpeg

6th June - Crane Fly
Not the most popular creatures but this one landed on my car which gave it a good background. When you get up close, I was very surprised at the markings and colour as well as the multi-angled legs!

BC4FCBCE-430A-4B44-B51B-EC2654BCBAD6.jpeg

9th June - Dog Rose (Canina Rosa)
I love these old dog roses that seem to scramble through the hedgerows. They have very beautiful but delicate flowers that, if pollinated, transform into those lovely rose hips in the autumn.

2F03615B-E1B7-4D92-95B5-C616B7181188.jpeg

10th June - Baby Hedgehog
I’ve been feeding the hedgehogs for a couple of months and knew we have had visitors, but this little one is one of this year’s brood and the first who used my new feeding station that Dave got me for my birthday. He/she walked around a couple of times then scurried into the box and, according to my trail cam footage came out after a couple of minutes then returned twice more during the night. When I went to refill the next day, everything had been eaten and all the water was gone as well. (By the way, this was taken at 10.00pm using my iPhone’s night photography facility so it looks like complete daylight.)

B2173277-4CC6-4C04-AD9B-663661E12D1C.jpeg

11th June - Mum’s Garden
This is the garden that is in the front of the Annexe Mum lived in for a short while. I t is meant to be a gravel garden but the plants have sprawled over it and there is hardly any gravel left on view now. The large climbing rose growing up the pergola has now completely cover the top as well as this side and has beautiful pale pink blooms with a very delicate perfume. It was chosen as it is called ‘Just Joan’ and was fitting as that was mum’s name.

4DB9697C-FD9B-4A42-8A2F-E767CFB0CC34.jpeg

12th June - The Back Garden
It is now coming up to 6 years since we re-landscaped the garden when the annexe was built and has now become quite an established plot of trees and various perennials. The only thing which sadly died, was the Holly tree that we tried to keep in the design from the original garden but I think got attacked by some weed killer the neighbours had used on their garden but as the roots to the tree probably spread into their garden probably succumbed. It is now used as bird feeding station which the local bird population seem quite happy about. (I just realised I have cropped it out of the frame - should have been on the left edge).
9D506E97-1CB1-4873-8AEB-24544663645C.jpeg

13th June - Standoff at the Feeding Station
Tonight’s visit saw a bit of a standoff between the baby and larger adult hedgehog. The baby arrived around 9.30 for early meal and as he came out of the box the larger hog appeared and tried to push the little one away. They both circled one another then the larger started to push the little on and he gave up and scurried off under our motorhome out of the way.
86181C20-7E51-4BFC-A128-8762BD582BF3.jpeg

14th June - Cherry Pie Time
The cherry trees in the woodland where we walk the dogs have been slowly ripening over the last few weeks and I was hoping that they would still be there until we got back from our holiday. Took an extra bag today top collect some for tonight’s pudding.

A0850FAD-0245-4EAB-A733-9E5E255C3D18.jpeg

15th June - Giant Hogweed Flower
Following the carpet of Cow Parsley in the woodland, the Giant Hogweed takes over the white umbellifer flower display. Although it is very pretty, I prefer it when the flowers dry off and the seed heads appear in the autumn that the shapes are stunning.

D906D690-337D-4263-AFDF-49A6BC64A8E2.jpeg

18th June - White-Tailed Bumblebee
Another image of one of my favourite pollinators. Caught this one sitting on a rose leaf in our garden. It is fascinating to look at them closely as they are really very furry.
4D891EA9-8D21-4D49-BD4D-2F38BD4A984D.jpeg

19th June - Poppy Field
In a field near our village has become a sea of red - full of Oriental Poppies. Dave and I stopped the car and began to take photos when a farmer appeared on a quad bike. I thought I was going to be chucked out of the field for trespassing, but he was very chatty telling us that the field had been leased by Naturescape which is a wildflower nursery nearby and they deliberately showed this to collect the seed. Hope they do it again net year as it was a beautiful site.
C268B6FD-3BEF-4262-B05C-F60EAAF6782F.jpeg

6th June - Crane Fly
Not the most popular creatures but this one landed on my car which gave it a good background. When you get up close, I was very surprised at the markings and colour as well as the multi-angled legs!

View attachment 182801
Wow. Amazing details. I like the name “crane fly” :) In Swedish it’s “harkrank” where ”har” is “hair” and “krank” means “thin”

Back
Top Bottom