Jan Gray’s Project 365-2022

5th July - Izzy’s Birthday

Today Izzy is now 7 years old. Both Dave and I can’t believe how much our lives have changed since collecting her from the breeder when she was 10 weeks old. And then doubly changed when we got Bertie 2 years later. Now when we arrange things, it is generally around the dogs. Talk about run our lives!
View attachment 183361
Happy birthday! You deserve a cake of doggie treats!

8th July - Chicory
Another one of our native wildflowers that has lots of uses. A beautiful blue flower that is loved by pollinators but has many herbal qualities such as being used for loss of appetite, upset stomachs, liver and gallbladder disorders. It is also one of the plants used in many drugs for chemotherapy. As well as many years ago being used as a beverage during the last century when coffee was not available. It was still available as a coffee drink (‘Camp Coffee’ - not a very ‘woke’ name now!). I remember drinking it as my gran used to buy it because she got so used to drinking it during the 2nd WW thought that was wheat coffee should taste like!

View attachment 183364
It’s one my favorites, too. It only blooms here for a short time, the same time as the Tiger Lilies.

11th July - Teasel
This one was near the canal but I let them grow in the garden as they are a great source for pollinators then later for birds.The following information is from Plant life website which explains why it is such an important plant.

The teasel is so called because textile makers used its spiny combs to 'tease' cloth - cleaning it (carding) before spinning and raising the 'nap' or fuzzy surface. It wasn't until the 20th century that they were replaced by metal combs. However, they have proved themselves unsurpassed in finishing cloth that needs a very fine and evenly raised pile such as some hats and on the baize covering used for billiard tables. It is superior because of the small hooked spikes covering the conical flower-heads which have 'give' and bend over irregularities or snags unlike steel brushes which tend to tear through it indiscriminately.

The seeds, which develop inside the flowerheads, attract birds including Goldfinches.

Local names include Barber's brushes, Donkey's thistle, and Venus' basin. The latter refers to the way the leaves join around the stem and hold water and hence also the Roman calling teasel labrum Veneris (lip of Venus).

A6B84784-6E01-454B-A34C-D258B29757C8.jpeg

8th July - Chicory
Another one of our native wildflowers that has lots of uses. A beautiful blue flower that is loved by pollinators but has many herbal qualities such as being used for loss of appetite, upset stomachs, liver and gallbladder disorders. It is also one of the plants used in many drugs for chemotherapy. As well as many years ago being used as a beverage during the last century when coffee was not available. It was still available as a coffee drink (‘Camp Coffee’ - not a very ‘woke’ name now!). I remember drinking it as my gran used to buy it because she got so used to drinking it during the 2nd WW thought that was wheat coffee should taste like!

View attachment 183364
We’ve got fields of it, planted next to broad bean crops. It’s sooo tall.

8th July - Chicory

View attachment 183364
It was used here too when coffee was scarce in the 40s. Perhaps it will get a renaissance :whistle: - coffee prices have gone up with 50% here the last months :coffee:

It was used here too when coffee was scarce in the 40s. Perhaps it will get a renaissance :whistle: - coffee prices have gone up with 50% here the last months :coffee:
My mum would serve it up with a war story, personally I thought it was horrible but that was 40 years ago. Why has coffee gone up? Haven’t noticed it here

12th July - Lady’s Bedstraw
Another popular wildflower, Lady’s Bedstraw does get its name because in Medieval times it was used to stuff the mattresses as it has a soft hay quality and a slight perfume. It is also part of Norse mythology where it was used to help women giving birth. And according to Plant life website it used to be used to colour cheese, particularly Double Gloucester.
3C3AE3CF-B2F5-4C68-836C-7DE0688643AB.jpeg

My mum would serve it up with a war story, personally I thought it was horrible but that was 40 years ago. Why has coffee gone up? Haven’t noticed it here
They say that it has to do with bad harvests in the coffee production countries and also the higher prices for transports etc. But there’s also talk about that the Swedish importers take a chance and raise the price very much more than necessary. We Swedes are heavy coffee drinkers so there is much money in this.

They say that it has to do with bad harvests in the coffee production countries and also the higher prices for transports etc. But there’s also talk about that the Swedish importers take a chance and raise the price very much more than necessary. We Swedes are heavy coffee drinkers so there is much money in this.
Typical greed of the rich. Making more money off the Swedish public

14th July - Ragged Robin
Sadly this wildflower is in decline around the UK with the decline of its favourite habitat which is damp woodlands but when it is able to grow
it is a very unusual looking flower that was supposed to herald haymaking time as this is when it is meant to be in full bloom.

0E70990D-37D6-4AB8-8FDF-0AADB0FF05FA.jpeg

15th July - Pyramidal Orchids

These are the county flower for the Isle of Wight found in grass meadows that are popular on the island. These were spotted in a meadow in Leicestershire. Orchids are strange plants, they require a specific fungus that needs to be in the soil to thrive. But like many plants they have other properties and these include a starchy sap in the stems that can be send in bread making like yeast.
BDE6B42D-7BC9-4793-B928-E49CA6BF5499.jpeg

17th July - Blackberries
As it was a very hot day today, we took the dogs for their walk in the woods nearby where we spotted the first ripe blackberries which is at least a month earlier than I have ever picked them before. Global warming definitely is hitting us.

82198B4E-5C00-4764-B28C-20B621078944.jpeg

16th July - St John’s Wort
Used as a herbal remedy for many ailments including the menopause, this plant is on Plant Life’s endangered list. This image was taken at a wild flower farm near our village.

View attachment 183427
I didn’t know it was endangered. Lots of them here where we live, even in our garden. Now we will take good care of them. Often used for spicing up the vodka here….

14th July - Ragged Robin
Sadly this wildflower is in decline around the UK with the decline of its favourite habitat which is damp woodlands but when it is able to grow
it is a very unusual looking flower that was supposed to herald haymaking time as this is when it is meant to be in full bloom.

View attachment 183425
Gee, Jan, how to you know all this stuff? Are you a horticulturist? :notworthy:

8th July - Chicory

View attachment 183364
Chicory magic: Sometimes the most strange coincidences happen. When I first saw this I was thinking *Aha ‘cikoria’ is ‘chicory’ in English. Wasn’t ther a band called ‘Chikory something a long time ago?” OK, right now I’m here on my own listening to a new AI-generated playlist with songs Spotify thinks I like. And I don’t just like them - I love the list. And guess what: Suddenly came the song Cigarettes, women and wine with CHICKORY TIP :cool: :lmao: What were the odds for that :whistle:

12th July - Lady’s Bedstraw
Another popular wildflower, Lady’s Bedstraw does get its name because in Medieval times it was used to stuff the mattresses as it has a soft hay quality and a slight perfume. It is also part of Norse mythology where it was used to help women giving birth. And according to Plant life website it used to be used to colour cheese, particularly Double Gloucester.
View attachment 183388
And, it’s the favoured plant for egg-laying of the Hummingbird Hawk Moth.:)

Gee, Jan, how to you know all this stuff? Are you a horticulturist? :notworthy:
No. Just like to find out about the plants. Found the Plantlife website really useful and have a few books that I’ve collected over the years. Just read a book about the life of fungi which was astounding about some of the studies on these organisms

19th July - Even Hotter!
Today was even hotter than yesterday and where we were concerned ourselves and the dogs cool, I think we may have forgotten about the creatures that were out in it all the time. Around 3pm today, I found this poor bee in the bathroom who was very drowsy and clearly struggling with the heat. Did my good deed and put a little bowl of sugar water on the window ledge and left it. Went back a little while later and it flying around quite happily. Left it in the bathroom and let it out in the evening when it was beginning to cool of - just 80’ instead of 103!

C19B4982-513F-4AC2-A95A-FEBEEAF4B55D.jpeg

20th July - Vietnamese Cucumber

A friend gave me a couple of seeds she had been given from a fellow gardener who came from Vietnam. I started growing it a few weeks ago like normal plants for the greenhouse then planted in a large pot and waited to see what it would be like. Well it turns out to be just like a normal cucumber except it has white instead of yellow flowers and the fruit are hairy! Looking up ideas how to use them, they can be used for pickling or more interestingly used in cocktails. The image isn’t the best as I took it through the window rather from inside the greenhouse.
6B93067C-B680-4881-94BB-F99DAD2E297E.jpeg

21st July - Favourite Flower
On today’s walk, there was a group of thistles where there were lots of insects flying around and this particular flower had lots of these flies and soldier beetles all fighting for space.
486E45DB-127D-4CF0-865F-FC6FE51064A6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom