B&W RESULT:#54 Black & White Challenge

IMG_7124.JPG

Arcade.
Snapseed or VSCO, Hipstamatic, Instagram.

B&W #54 Results
JillyG "It’s now the job of FundyBrian Brian to choose the winners."
And quite a job it turned out to be.
I’m sure that most of you realize I’m somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to B&W photos, reaffirming the print values from the film days. The Fine Print, The Zone System, etc. I like to see a full range of tones in a B&W image, good tonal separation, highlight and shadow detail. But I also like to see more extreme renditions at times when the subject suits.

I found it difficult to pick a winner from my last selection of 9 images. I felt I was nit-picking to whittle it down to 6. Every image was very good. At that level the differences were small, being more related to image content, mood, style, composition.

Since I was looking closely at these photos I could see that people who posted at 3000 pixels had an edge when it came to image detail. Something to consider.

First Place: Lynne.Peterson. Very fine composition, dramatic shadow, leading lines, good print tones. All round, a very fine image.
Lynne.Peterson-1.jpg

2nd - rizole. Rizole consistently pulls off great pictures in situations when most people wouldn’t even try and this is an example. It has the feel of a frame from a movie. It’s hard enough to get photos in the dark when nothing is moving.
rizole-4.jpg

3rd goes to sinner john for his dramatic building-scape. This strange structure could have come from a science fiction set.
sinnerjohn-1.jpg

Did you notice 2 of the top 3 photos where Android or Samsung?
Since I had such a hard time dividing them up I’m also naming 3 HMs.

sdimbour for her striking eye photo. I have no idea how she achieved such sharpness from a 1536 px image.
sdimbour-1.jpg

The Egret photo by terse. Beautiful.
terse-1.jpg

rizole with his small snowman lit by a pathway light. He is always doing surprising things. And there's that illuminated reindeer decoration in the background.
rizole-3.jpg

I continue to be very impressed by the quality of B&W photos in this Challenge. Well done everyone!

B&W #54 Results
I’m sure that most of you realize I’m somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to B&W photos, reaffirming the print values from the film days. The Fine Print, The Zone System, etc. I like to see a full range of tones in a B&W image, good tonal separation, highlight and shadow detail. But I also like to see more extreme renditions at times when the subject suits.

I found it difficult to pick a winner from my last selection of 9 images. I felt I was nit-picking to whittle it down to 6. Every image was very good. At that level the differences were small, being more related to image content, mood, style, composition.

Since I was looking closely at these photos I could see that people who posted at 3000 pixels had an edge when it came to image detail. Something to consider.

First Place: Lynne.Peterson. Very fine composition, dramatic shadow, leading lines, good print tones. All round, a very fine image.
View attachment 103601

2nd - rizole. Rizole consistently pulls off great pictures in situations when most people wouldn’t even try and this is an example. It has the feel of a frame from a movie. It’s hard enough to get photos in the dark when nothing is moving.
View attachment 103602

3rd goes to sinner john for his dramatic building-scape. This strange structure could have come from a science fiction set.
View attachment 103603

sdimbour for her striking eye photo. I have no idea how she achieved such sharpness from a 1536 px image.
View attachment 103604

View attachment 103605

rizole with his small snowman lit by a pathway light. He is always doing surprising things. And there's that illuminated reindeer decoration in the background.
View attachment 103606

I continue to be very impressed by the quality of B&W photos in this Challenge. Well done everyone!

Congrats Lynne for the first place !!! Great iMage [emoji106] well done!!!

Congrats Rizole and John for the 2nd and 3rd place !!!! [emoji106]

Thanks Brian for the HM [emoji3]

B&W #54 Results

View attachment 103601

View attachment 103602

View attachment 103603

View attachment 103604

View attachment 103605

View attachment 103606
On
A wonderful bit of judging Brian - very considered as we would expect. Congrats to Lynne.Peterson Lynne - that’s a great image with that brilliant shadow, and that sun! Well done rizole Rizole, sinnerjohn John, sdimbour Sandra and terse Ted. This week has been another great week for black and whites (and for Androids :D). Okay, now I will take the long walk down the corridor to the Gallery where I will be delighted to hang Lynne’s image with the other winners of the Black & White Challenge.:thumbs: Well done to everyone who posted. I know I’m always saying this, but the challenge wouldn’t exist without you.:inlove:

Congrats to Lynne.Peterson and rizole and many thanks for my 3rd Brian.

Personally I think this is irrelevant, Rizole could photograph virtually anything and make it look good regardless of weapon of choice and I was just lucky with interesting subject matter. Would they have looked different using an iphone, probably not :D
Don't lets go down the Nikon is better than Canon, Canon is better than Fuji road please :)

I do agree with your comment about posting at 3000 pixels,why post at a lower resolution ?

Back
Top Bottom