B&W RESULT:#59 Black & White Challenge

IMG_5902.JPG

Moliets beach [emoji3] Landes - France

Iphone 7 and Snapseed

Cedar of Lebanon tree in the snow this afternoon while doing my 2pm Time Stamp photos. Known to 5 generations of my family as "The Sitting Tree" and it will be 6 when we take wee Sid to sit there :)

Native camera, iColorama to turn it to B&W, crop, odd tweak here and there....

View attachment 105124
What an amazing spread on that tree, and I love the hazy view of the building in the background -- fits in perfectly somehow.

Cedar of Lebanon tree in the snow this afternoon while doing my 2pm Time Stamp photos. Known to 5 generations of my family as "The Sitting Tree" and it will be 6 when we take wee Sid to sit there :)

Native camera, iColorama to turn it to B&W, crop, odd tweak here and there....

View attachment 105124
I agree with Ted. This is a gorgeous idyllic iMage. Is that a pub in the background?

Okay, another black and white week endeth here. This challenge is now closed. It’s up to rizole Rizole (I hope I’ve got that right:lol:) to judge these marvellous images. Which ones will he choose? :D

Over all, 1st place goes to WildPlace for The wee chapel at Col de Ibañeta.
image-jpeg.105035

I love the simplicity of this but get a complex, emotional reaction from it I'm not sure I can describe.
There's a sense of otherness, the sky and landscape merge and blend into each other around the structures which have strong, geometric lines and angles. The only connection to a solid reality is from the drifts of snow that stop everything floating in an indistinct void by fixing them to the hills on the right and grounding the whole thing.
It's wonderfully composed and looks good at any scale. It could make a stamp or a huge poster without losing any impact.
I love the textures, the dark adds mystery and mood and without other context it could have been taken several decades ago or just yesterday.
I'd have given 2nd place to her Cedar of Lebanon but I'll save 2nd for someone else and give her a double 1st :)

WildPlace gets the win but I'm going to break format a little now because I can :mobibabe:.
I've split the remaining winners into two categories: Still Life and Landscapes.

In the still life category I'm rating them in the following order:
Pond Ice by RoseCat (Beautiful, surprising)
Intersect by dscheff (Delicate, nice use of negative space)
E By Gum by JillyG (Bold, striking, funny, art deco, colonial propaganda)

In the Landscape category:
Not sure I’m posting the right way in this challenge, if not please let me know by younger (It's just fun and nice to see someone doing something a bit different in the B&W challenge)
Passing by and In-seine by sinnerjohn (Who always produces excellent urban landscapes (but I can't bear his puns :p))

Honourable Mentions to sdimbour for her landscapes, FundyBrian's log, Lynne.Peterson 's Hummmm....where should I go next and commiserations to carlos who posted a great portrait but not in B&W unfortunately.

Sorry if I've missed you off the list, it has been another solid week of quality work from everyone.

Last edited:
image-jpeg.105035

I love the simplicity of this but get a complex, emotional reaction from it I'm not sure I can describe.
There's a sense of otherness, the sky and landscape merge and blend into each other around the structures which have strong, geometric lines and angles. The only connection to a solid reality from by the drifts of snow that stop everything floating in an indistinct void by fixing them to the hills on the right and grounding the whole thing.
It's wonderfully composed and looks good at any scale. It could make a stamp or a huge poster without losing any impact.
I love the textures, the dark adds mystery and mood and without other context it could have been taken several decades ago or just yesterday.
I'd have given 2nd place to her Cedar of Lebanon but I'll save 2nd for someone else and give her a double 1st :)

WildPlace gets the win but I'm going to break format a little now because I can :mobibabe:.
I've split the remaining winners into two categories: Still Life and Landscapes.

Not sure I’m posting the right way in this challenge, if not please let me know by younger (It's just fun and nice to see someone doing something a bit different in the B&W challenge)
Passing by and In-seine by sinnerjohn (Who always produces excellent urban landscapes (but I can't bear his puns :p))

Honourable Mentions to sdimbour for her landscapes, FundyBrian's log, Lynne.Peterson 's Hummmm....where should I go next and commiserations to carlos who posted a great portrait but not in B&W unfortunately.

Sorry if I've missed you off the list, it has been another solid week of quality work from everyone.
A perfect choice, Rizole.... WildPlace Yvonne’s image is just beautiful (I missed it the first time around and seeing it here I had a “Wow!” moment). Congratulations Yvonne!! :inlove:

Thank you so much for including me in your Still Life category. :notworthy: Honored to be in the circle with Jilly and Jeffrey. Congrats to John and Juliana! Juliana’s is another that I missed the first time around and it’s so clever and wonderful! :D High fives to HMs Sandra, Brian and Lynne!

image-jpeg.105035

There's a sense of otherness, the sky and landscape merge and blend into each other around the structures which have strong, geometric lines and angles. The only connection to a solid reality is from the drifts of snow that stop everything floating in an indistinct void by fixing them to the hills on the right and grounding the whole thing.

Excellent choices! Congratulations to everyone [emoji898]
And, thank you so much for the HM [emoji4]

Last edited:
image-jpeg.105035

A great piece of judging Rizole and that’s what I would have liked to have said about Yvonne’s image if I was eloquent enough. And you can do the judging however the mood takes you. :thumbs: High fives to Catherine, Jeffrey and ... me, in the Still Life category. High fiving yourself looks a bit like high clapping (a la Mick Jagger). :lol: Well done to Juliana and John in the Landscape category. Honourable mentions to the Honourable Mentions, Sandra, Brian and Lynne.

It was a wonderful week for black and white images. Well done and thank you to EVERYONE who posted.

So now, me and Yvonne's lovely mountain top chapel are off to the Gallery.

Back
Top Bottom