B&W RESULT:#87 Black & White Challenge

The photo was taken during a parade. It took 1,956,439 shots to get one without people getting in the way. By then the firemen had noticed me and obliged with the pose. Totally worth it in the end. I use Darkr app A LOT for B&W. It seems to give me the “old” feel. I added some graininess with the Apple Photo app I believe. I’ve done a copy with sepia tone also - that one is going in my son’s room.

Hotel Phillips, Kansas City. Shot with Darkr, touch up with Adobe Fix.
9BEB1989-B06E-461F-95EE-4D07693919B5.jpeg

I walked into the front lobby and my jaw hit the floor when I saw this bronze statue, erected 1931.

I have a friend in Berkshire, perhaps he’s moved since, who has an old 150’ Deep well in his kitchen. It is covered by a 4” thick glass cover. He has lights every 15’ so when you stand on it, or near it, you can see all the way to the bottom ;)
WOW. That sounds utterly amazing! And a bit vertigo inducing.

Fabulous. The lighting is just right. How did you get the black background?

Thanks! I chose Ilford “film” in the Darkr app while “developing”/editing. Ilford is great for the deeper blacks. Played with exposure time and contrast. There was still some background stuff going on, so Adobe Fix took care of that.

Hotel Phillips, Kansas City. Shot with Darkr, touch up with Adobe Fix. View attachment 112478

I walked into the front lobby and my jaw hit the floor when I saw this bronze statue, erected 1931.

Question for all... do you see a simple white border being helpful on this image? I couldn’t decide if I liked the black running off the edges or a white border. I was gonna upload a bordered copy, but seeing that it doesn’t show on the white background of the webpage.

Question for all... do you see a simple white border being helpful on this image? I couldn’t decide if I liked the black running off the edges or a white border. I was gonna upload a bordered copy, but seeing that it doesn’t show on the white background of the webpage.
I always wonder about a white border on an image with a black background because, as you say, it doesn’t show up on the page. I have resorted to puting two frames on an image in Snapseed - white and then black. But I don’t think this one needs a frame imho. I can’t see it being improved by having a frame because it’s wonderful already.

I think you've answered your own question there haven't you Jef, white border on white background probably wouldn't work ;)
Welcome to MobiTog btw, bit late as I see you've already won the weekly MC :thumbs:
Borders are love or hate things I find, me I quite like a subtle thin border sometimes. I remember there was a great debate on Flickr about background colour, was it best white or black, or better still changeable. I guess it depends on the original image.

I always wonder about a white border on an image with a black background because, as you say, it doesn’t show up on the page. I have resorted to puting two frames on an image in Snapseed - white and then black. But I don’t think this one needs a frame imho. I can’t see it being improved by having a frame because it’s wonderful already.
I agree with JillyG... I don’t feel it needs a border, and think it would draw attention away from the rich black background, beautiful lighting and overall dramatic vibe.

Back
Top Bottom