MobiColour RESULT: MC #118 Theme: Colour in Nature - April 30-May 6

Wow
Why are they all so close to each other? Never saw this before (aka city girl, sorry)
Comfort? they've just spent some months close together in eggs. Nice to cuddle up again afterwards I guess.

They are resting after hatching. As the egg sac would have been left somewhere safe, they should be fine for sometime while prepping for dispersal.

Wow, what a beautiful colour book of nature all over the world. Everything is said by others, what a pleasure to wander through.
I picked up the theme on Monday, did the following image in the back yard when I parked my car, went home and straight into bed, where I felt into a kinda coma that made me sleep through the complete 1st of May, as on Monday morning I've started to develop a flu that raised within me hour by hour and i was a wreck when I was home. All hurt, running nose … 4]

I feel for you. Friday night sore throat: Saturday morning hot and aching and no voice. My DH thinks he’s died and gone to heaven

No, don’t apologise because we’d never seen it before either. When I got too close they scattered and then regrouped. I think they’ll disperse when they get a bit bigger, but at the moment they’re huddling together for protection.

That’s fairly normal for baby spiders. Sometimes there will be clustered inside a nursery web. Often when they leave it will be by “ballooning”. Each will look for something taller to climb up, such as tall grass stalks, they need a gentle breeze. Then they start letting out a line of spider web into the wind, maybe a metre or so long, until it is long enough to be caught by the breeze and support their weight. Finally a gust will make them airborne and they will all take off on the breeze. Sometimes you may notice an area with hundreds of straight spider web lines draped over bushes or grasses and this is where the baby spiders landed after their dispersal flight.

Wow, what a beautiful colour book of nature all over the world. Everything is said by others, what a pleasure to wander through.
I picked up the theme on Monday, did the following image in the back yard when I parked my car, went home and straight into bed, where I felt into a kinda coma that made me sleep through the complete 1st of May, as on Monday morning I've started to develop a flu that raised within me hour by hour and i was a wreck when I was home. All hurt, running nose … well, you all know what it's like, but this one was a tough one.
Wednesday I saw the doctor and got my certificate to stay home including Friday. What I did, and slowly I come back to life. Couldn't even visit my dad for his birthday yesterday. [emoji53] but the good thing is he celebrates tomorrow, so at least I will be there. [emoji4]
Now from the sickbed, still sneezing and coughing, but alive and kicking again two pictures from me:

Lilac

View attachment 109123

6Pod native, no edits

Narnia

View attachment 109124

This is the palm full of biotope landscape I saved from last year's tomato pot, the "grass" is now maybe an inch high, those buds didn't open yet, though it looks like some white on the tips are lurking, but the tiny moss looks still like a big landscape. I added Aslan to it to turn it into Narnia (he is exactly 29 mm from the tip of his tail to the tip of his nose), and the round rock in front is a hydroculture clay marble of about 12 mm diameter, just to give you an idea how small all this is and how large it looks.

Taken today (May the 4th be with you!!!!) Hipstamatic, no edits [emoji4]

Take good care of yourself. The flu these days is quite unpleasant. Just when you think you’re getting better take care not to over do it. That’s when you can expect a relapse.
I suspect those tiny bud-like things on the very thin stalks are actually spore capsules, not flower buds. If you look closely the tiny capsules look like little pointy acorns. The top will eventually open and the spores will be distributed on the breeze. If you do a search online for spore capsules, moss, photos, you will see many examples of different types of spore capsules and can read about the life cycle of moss.

Nature in Hand
Snapseed
IMG_5333.JPG

That’s fairly normal for baby spiders. Sometimes there will be clustered inside a nursery web. Often when they leave it will be by “ballooning”. Each will look for something taller to climb up, such as tall grass stalks, they need a gentle breeze. Then they start letting out a line of spider web into the wind, maybe a metre or so long, until it is long enough to be caught by the breeze and support their weight. Finally a gust will make them airborne and they will all take off on the breeze. Sometimes you may notice an area with hundreds of straight spider web lines draped over bushes or grasses and this is where the baby spiders landed after their dispersal flight.
Ahhhh, gossamer wings.

While a very handsome spider photo I don’t think it is a wolf spider. The wolf spider doesn’t make a web (which this spider is sitting on) and they also have 2 of their eyes much larger than the other 6. It is more likely a similar looking Agelenopsis that builds a horizontal web and has all 8 eyes approximately the same size.
I found another one hiding behind a pot as I was clearing the garden. It moved pretty quickly and this was the best pic o the markings on it's abdomen I could get.
20180505_142956-01.jpeg

Couldn't even visit my dad for his birthday yesterday.
emoji53.png
but the good thing is he celebrates tomorrow, so at least I will be there.
emoji4.png
Glad you’re feeling better. And I was all —-> :eek: when you said you missed your dad’s birthday, but then —-> :D when you said you’ll get to be at the actual celebration.

I can just smell them... one of my all-time fave flowers.

This is the palm full of biotope landscape I saved from last year's tomato pot, the "grass" is now maybe an inch high, those buds didn't open yet, though it looks like some white on the tips are lurking, but the tiny moss looks still like a big landscape.
Love this wee world... excited to see what else pops up!

The Victory Lap: MC118 - Colour in Nature.

What an inspiring collection of images this week! Thanks for making my job more difficult. I appreciated every single image for its own merits. We had some fascinating close-ups and beautiful scenes with amazing lighting.

As you may have intuited from my hints where I introduced this week’s theme, I am especially interested in colour combinations in nature. More so than single colours.

But I’m sure you just want the results now and not some long winded discussion.

In Third Position: lkbside and her photo of the surrealistic Red Wash Canyon. Her vantage point was well chosen to make use of the progression of curved lines in the photo with the shapes moving like steps from lower left to upper right. The textures are equally dramatic. If you have ever used an app to make colour palettes from photos this would be a great one. I love all those striking mineral colours from the rocks and layers of the ground. I would love to spend some time at this location observing the change of colours throughout the day.
50FBEDA7-5428-4A1E-B809-309065AABCC2.jpeg

In Second Place: terse. California Poppies. I was especially fascinated by those red rings around the stems as seen below the seed new pods. The analogous colours orange and red are not one I would expect to see together on a flower. I had to go looking for other photos of California Poppies to see if those red rings were present under the flowers and not just later at the seed pod stage. Sure enough, there they are, so I expect they must be the sepals. We have completely orange flowers with that red ring hidden underneath, that persists after the petals have fallen away, presenting a very unusual looking seed pod. You have to wonder, OK maybe you don’t, but I do, what is the purpose of putting that red ring under the flower? Does it have some significance in blocking certain insects as they crawl up the flower stem?
043DBE55-0E4C-40F3-BC80-B56E2B61C413.jpeg

Numero Uno: Younger. What a super Sunset! Very nicely composed to make use of the orange arc of clouds. Great use of the foreground reflection to extend the sunset colour right to the bottom edge of the photo. We have two colours of a triad but the third colour is absent. Did you ever see a colour clash in a sunset? The colour of the sky seems to shift to suit the sunset colours. The only thing that would make it better for me is replacing all evidence of human activity with a ridge line of trees.
663B5F59-162F-4350-8DC0-31EB4F809A2A.jpeg

Younger can head over to MC119 to tell us what the new theme will be. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom