MobiColour RESULT: MC #119 Theme: Good Memories - May 7-13

When I had hair(!)
View attachment 109380
This is just for fun since it isn’t really an iPhone photo except I photographed it from an old print made before the digital era.
I always find it quite a shock, or humerous, to see old pictures of myself when I still had hair and it was still red. And a beard! My beard hair was curly so when it got long it didn’t lie flat and smooth but wildly curled together like curly steel wool. It was better to keep it from getting too long so I wouldn’t look like a wildman - not that that bothered me much.
I’m sitting in the last Mini I drove. It reminds me of all the fun and adventures I had driving my different Minis through the years.
I’m wearing my Maritime Mini club hat which is another marker of a time period. I’m wearing it higher than normal to prevent too much shadow on my face. This was a self portrait with a tripod & self timer since no one else was around at the time. There’s another time marker - when I realized if I didn’t take pictures of myself then I didn’t exist at all in the family photo album. Even so there aren’t very many.
I see that I’m wearing one of the corduroy shirts my mother made for me. They were more durable than store bought stuff and really very well done. That’s another marker for a period in time.
I bought this 1971 Austin Mini 1000 in 1979 for $100. That must have been the second year Minis had roll-down windows. The engine had been ruined and the car had been left sitting in the grass for a couple of years so the floor was rusted out. I welded in a new floor and some of the trunk and rocker panels and put in a 1300 Austin America engine that I had rebuilt from a previous Mini I had. (The Austin America and the Mini were in the same parts family and swapping the engine was pretty much a bolt-on operation, if you picked the right parts) I also replaced the rear subframe from another Mini. I replaced the front drum brakes with Cooper S disk brakes. I had the same Minilite magnesium alloy wheels they used in the movie The Italian Job. Of course it needed some other work too but it ended up a very reliable car and I drove it year-round as my only car for another 12 years or so with only occasional repairs. It was very cheap to run. It never once failed to get me home. If it ever had any problem it was at home where I was able to fix it myself. In those days if your starter, or some other part, conked out you could take it apart and fix it yourself. Take 2 dead alternators and make one good one out of them. I needed to be quite independent since I lived far from town and there was nowhere that had Mini parts anyhow. I kept the most usual parts in stock as well as parts from a few dismantled Minis. The car was 22 years old when I decided to retire it in favour of something newer.
The first Mini came out in 1959 and was the first mass produced front wheel drive car. It had a sideways engine, which was very unusual at that time. It was the first car to have constant velocity joints in the axles - nowadays just about every car on the road has constant velocity joint axles, except trucks and rear wheel drive cars. Looking back I can see it was incredibly advanced for its time. I remember when I had my first Mini, 1968, people used to laugh when I told them that in the future there would be a lot more small cars, rather than the giant gas guzzling boats people used to drive, and that they would be front wheel drive. I wish now I had put some money on those predictions. So many of the Mini’s innovations have been copied by other cars people have forgotten where it all began - with a little British car.

Edit: I just had this notion so I’ll put it here. You could almost say, that no matter what make of front wheel drive car you have, if you look far enough back there is a Mini on one branch of the family tree.
Where’s the LOVE button! I couldn’t love this image and story more if I tried. And you’re a ginger!! Awesome!! (My favorite hair color) It looks like your mom was a master tailor... that shirt cannot be easy to make, and from what I can see it looks impeccably made. So many memories in one image. :inlove:

And, it sounds like we have a case of Six Degrees of Mini Cooper. :sneaky:

When I had hair(!)
View attachment 109380
This is just for fun since it isn’t really an iPhone photo except I photographed it from an old print made before the digital era.
I always find it quite a shock, or humerous, to see old pictures of myself when I still had hair and it was still red. And a beard! My beard hair was curly so when it got long it didn’t lie flat and smooth but wildly curled together like curly steel wool. It was better to keep it from getting too long so I wouldn’t look like a wildman - not that that bothered me much.
I’m sitting in the last Mini I drove. It reminds me of all the fun and adventures I had driving my different Minis through the years.
I’m wearing my Maritime Mini club hat which is another marker of a time period. I’m wearing it higher than normal to prevent too much shadow on my face. This was a self portrait with a tripod & self timer since no one else was around at the time. There’s another time marker - when I realized if I didn’t take pictures of myself then I didn’t exist at all in the family photo album. Even so there aren’t very many.
I see that I’m wearing one of the corduroy shirts my mother made for me. They were more durable than store bought stuff and really very well done. That’s another marker for a period in time.
I bought this 1971 Austin Mini 1000 in 1979 for $100. That must have been the second year Minis had roll-down windows. The engine had been ruined and the car had been left sitting in the grass for a couple of years so the floor was rusted out. I welded in a new floor and some of the trunk and rocker panels and put in a 1300 Austin America engine that I had rebuilt from a previous Mini I had. (The Austin America and the Mini were in the same parts family and swapping the engine was pretty much a bolt-on operation, if you picked the right parts) I also replaced the rear subframe from another Mini. I replaced the front drum brakes with Cooper S disk brakes. I had the same Minilite magnesium alloy wheels they used in the movie The Italian Job. Of course it needed some other work too but it ended up a very reliable car and I drove it year-round as my only car for another 12 years or so with only occasional repairs. It was very cheap to run. It never once failed to get me home. If it ever had any problem it was at home where I was able to fix it myself. In those days if your starter, or some other part, conked out you could take it apart and fix it yourself. Take 2 dead alternators and make one good one out of them. I needed to be quite independent since I lived far from town and there was nowhere that had Mini parts anyhow. I kept the most usual parts in stock as well as parts from a few dismantled Minis. The car was 22 years old when I decided to retire it in favour of something newer.
The first Mini came out in 1959 and was the first mass produced front wheel drive car. It had a sideways engine, which was very unusual at that time. It was the first car to have constant velocity joints in the axles - nowadays just about every car on the road has constant velocity joint axles, except trucks and rear wheel drive cars. Looking back I can see it was incredibly advanced for its time. I remember when I had my first Mini, 1968, people used to laugh when I told them that in the future there would be a lot more small cars, rather than the giant gas guzzling boats people used to drive, and that they would be front wheel drive. I wish now I had put some money on those predictions. So many of the Mini’s innovations have been copied by other cars people have forgotten where it all began - with a little British car.

Edit: I just had this notion so I’ll put it here. You could almost say, that no matter what make of front wheel drive car you have, if you look far enough back there is a Mini on one branch of the family tree.
My first vehicle was a mini van: I think my dad bought it for me so I could haul stuff around. After that I had a Cooper. That was a fun little car. We used to race it around a five mile loop in the country around here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayot_St_Lawrence It's really a wonder no one was killed :eek::confused:

My first vehicle was a mini van: I think my dad bought it for me so I could haul stuff around. After that I had a Cooper. That was a fun little car. We used to race it around a five mile loop in the country around here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayot_St_Lawrence It's really a wonder no one was killed :eek::confused:

Another Mini fan [emoji106]
My brother’s first car was a Mini Van we rebuilt together with a 1300 engine, fibreglass front, and a one piece fibreglass door I built to replace the double doors with tiny windows. He’s a musician and made good use of the cargo space. He drove it for many years. Now he’s into Volvo wagons.
I was in a Mini race team for one summer, but as a mechanic not a driver. It was great fun. But as much as I like race cars, the racing itself is rather boring for everyone except the drivers.

Since childhood I've spent time doing micro Zen gardening. Ive been mostly interested in sedums but I started with cacti. I don't have the first cacti I ever got but I have a friend who has an offset from it. Ive had my eye on getting an offset back for a couple of decades now.

The base plants I use are mostly succulents. They are stupid easy to grow from cuttings, offsets and even individual leaves. Despite life changes and having to leave things behind, succulents can be propagated from very small samples and ive taken them with me where ever I go. They can put up with months of neglect, great if you don't always have time to care for them in a way you would a cat for example. Some of the plants I have, I've had for 3 and probably 4 decades. Not always the original plant but as they come from division, genetically identical to the originals.

These are the plants my mum hooked me into gardening with. There's plenty of good plants and planting environments out there but this is my touchstone group and I expect to carry them with me all the way.
20180512_112302-01.jpeg
20180512_112058-01.jpeg
20180512_111934-01.jpeg
20180512_111909-01.jpeg
20180512_111624-01.jpeg
20180512_111545-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Since childhood I've spent time doing micro Zen gardening. Ive been mostly interested in sedums but I started with cacti. I don't have the first cacti I ever got but I have a friend who has an offset from it. Ive had my eye on getting an offset back for a couple of decades now.

The base plants I use are mostly succulents. They are stupid easy to grow from cuttings, offsets and even individual leaves. Despite life changes and having to leave things behind, succulents can be propagated from very small samples and ive taken them with me where ever I go. They can put up with months of neglect, great if you don't always have time to care for them in a way you would a cat for example. Some of the plants I have, I've had for 3 and probably 4 decades. Not always the original plant but as they come from division, genetically identical to the originals.

These are the plants my mum hooked me into gardening with. There's plenty of good plants and planting environments out there but this is my touchstone group and I expect to carry them with me all the way.
View attachment 109408 View attachment 109409 View attachment 109410 View attachment 109411 View attachment 109412 View attachment 109413

Lovely! I really like the rusted pile of nails. I’d like to see the whole thing with something to compare its size to.

Lovely! I really like the rusted pile of nails. I’d like to see the whole thing with something to compare its size to.
Thanks. Here's the whole thing.
This is more thrown together than previous efforts. I like a nice, large terracotta bowl to first landscape and then plant up but not got round to that since we last moved.
This is here to hide a large metal drain cover surrounded by concrete.
20180512_141632-01.jpeg

Give it a month or two and it'll burst into a mass of small white and yellow flowers, all star like with 5 petals.

Last edited:

View attachment 109408 View attachment 109409 View attachment 109410 View attachment 109411 View attachment 109412 View attachment 109413
That’s lovely, and very good to hear that there are other people in the world that have success with plants, because for some reason I didn’t inherit that gift :mad: I overwater or forget about them, and no matter how hardy or easy they all end up dry in a bin! So I admire gardeners :)

28F3C047-22F7-44A3-A6F0-DA156A40CFE8.jpeg

This little beach is at the end of Woodrow Avenue in Santa Cruz. From the fall of 1967 through the summer of 1969, while I was at UC Santa Cruz, I lived in this neighborhood, in different places but always within walking distance. So when my friends and roommates and I wanted to go sit on rocks and stare at the ocean or poke through tide pools, this is where we came. I still stop by there frequently and take pictures or just muse for a while.

Following FundyBrian, I took a photo of an old photo to post, so here's me in early 1969 with my ginger kitten Arthur:

EBC6B70B-7581-4D29-9779-CC456F8910C9.jpeg

After I graduated from UC Santa Cruz in June of 1969, I stuck around for the summer, working for an anthropology prof, helping to compile a Tiruray-English glossary on 3x5 index cards and living in this house with three roommates, just one block from that beach above.

73524F95-44D4-456B-AD2C-F121079231AE.jpeg

Most of what happened that summer is not very interesting and none of your business anyway :mobibabe:, but in late July, some friends and roommates and I sat around the b/w TV and watched the first moon landing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11

It was exciting but not surprising because we were all sci-fi fans from years back and had always expected to see it happen.

Equally strange but totally unexpected, in that same house we also saw a surpassingly weird TV special titled 33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee, which featured Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger along with the Monkees, Fats Domino, and some others. If you want to see what late 60s TV thought psychedelia looked like, you can catch the whole thing on YouTube:

But it's 60 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

Last edited:
View attachment 109445

This little beach is at the end of Woodrow Avenue in Santa Cruz. From the fall of 1967 through the summer of 1969, while I was at UC Santa Cruz, I lived in this neighborhood, in different places but always within walking distance. So when my friends and roommates and I wanted to go sit on rocks and stare at the ocean or poke through tide pools, this is where we came. I still stop by there frequently and take pictures or just muse for a while.

Following FundyBrian, I took a photo of an old photo to post, so here's me in early 1969 with my ginger kitten Arthur:

View attachment 109444

After I graduated from UC Santa Cruz in June of 1969, I stuck around for the summer, working for an anthropology prof, helping to compile a Tiruray-English glossary on 3x5 index cards and living in this house with three roommates, just one block from that beach above.

View attachment 109446

Most of what happened that summer is not very interesting and none of your business anyway :mobibabe:, but in late July, some friends and roommates and I sat around the b/w TV and watched the first moon landing.

It was exciting but not surprising because we were all sci-fi fans from years back and had always expected to see it happen.

Equally strange but totally unexpected, in that same house we also saw a surpassingly weird TV special titled 33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee, which featured Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger along with the Monkees, Fats Domino, and some others. If you want to see what late 60s TV thought psychedelia looked like, you can catch the whole thing on YouTube:

Hahahahahahaha
Lovely photos! The only thing I knew about The Monkees was that song that was recorded by someone else some years ago “I’m a believer”. But there are many crazy things from the 60s for sure! My brother, who’s younger than me, would probably have seen that video you sent. I couldn’t watch it all, but I definitely got the vibe!!! :lmao:

Wonderful close-ups!

SAARA in Rio

Where lots of very cheap shops are concentrated in Rio, like an open mall, it’s been there for ages. In the heart of the city, downtown (Centro da cidade), close to museums and important cultural sites. When I went to high school (over 20 years ago), I studied in a school that was very close to that area and would go there after the classes, usually on Saturdays (I studied in a very traditional and sought after school in Rio, but one of the downsides was having to study on Saturdays, when all my other friends were at the beach or somewhere much nicer). You can find renovation supplies, clothes, sewing supplies, jewellery, fabrics of all kinds, gold, electronic appliances, good food, you name it. Literally an oasis for someone short on money (as a high school student) but who always liked to be covered in sparkling things :lol: at the end of the shopping spree (which then was getting a necklace, a pair of earrings and something for the hair for 5/10 moneys altogether, me and whoever ventured out with me would top it off with a visit to... yes, sorry, McDonald’s :D

These decorations are for the saints’ holidays in June, but you can see some of them in “special events” like world cups (Brazilians literally stop their lives to watch the matches, some companies close down on those days etc).

Taken with my old iPhone 5C (which I still use ever now and then) before I left Brazil for the second time to come to Australia
No edit
B3264F67-BE84-4BE7-88AD-A4386BB5E59A.jpeg

Walking.
I miss Jemima. She was a walker and would go miles with me and my kids and hers. My other half isn't a walker and niether is hers. Shame we live too far apart now.
View attachment 109436
Wow, that does look like you’re in Machu Picchu or somewhere high up in the clouds. Amazing.

View attachment 109445

View attachment 109444

View attachment 109446

I thought that was a photo of Neil Diamond in his heyday! :DAnd isn’t it great that you still live near all of those happy memories.:inlove:

When I had hair(!)
View attachment 109380
I always find it quite a shock, or humerous, to see old pictures of myself when I still had hair and it was still red. And a beard! My beard hair was curly so when it got long it didn’t lie flat and smooth but wildly curled together like curly steel wool. It was better to keep it from getting too long so I wouldn’t look like a wildman -
I in the movie The Italian Job. the road has constant velocity joint axles, except trucks and rear wheel drive cars. Looking on one branch of the family tree.

Looks like a still from my Coen bros binge this weekend !

Back
Top Bottom