MobiColour RESULT: MC #119 Theme: Good Memories - May 7-13

Thanks. Here's the whole thing.
This is more thrown together than previous efforts. I like a nice, large terracotta bowl to first landscape and then plant up but not got round to that since we last moved.
This is here to hide a large metal drain cover surrounded by concrete.
View attachment 109419
Give it a month or two and it'll burst into a mass of small white and yellow flowers, all star like with 5 petals.

I love it! You have inspired me! I’ve been wondering what to do with all my flower pots this year. I’m also thinking of zen terrarium. I miss having plants in the house. My cats eat them. But, if they were under glass.....

View attachment 109445

This little beach is at the end of Woodrow Avenue in Santa Cruz. From the fall of 1967 through the summer of 1969, while I was at UC Santa Cruz, I lived in this neighborhood, in different places but always within walking distance. So when my friends and roommates and I wanted to go sit on rocks and stare at the ocean or poke through tide pools, this is where we came. I still stop by there frequently and take pictures or just muse for a while.

Following FundyBrian, I took a photo of an old photo to post, so here's me in early 1969 with my ginger kitten Arthur:

View attachment 109444

After I graduated from UC Santa Cruz in June of 1969, I stuck around for the summer, working for an anthropology prof, helping to compile a Tiruray-English glossary on 3x5 index cards and living in this house with three roommates, just one block from that beach above.

View attachment 109446

Most of what happened that summer is not very interesting and none of your business anyway :mobibabe:, but in late July, some friends and roommates and I sat around the b/w TV and watched the first moon landing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11

It was exciting but not surprising because we were all sci-fi fans from years back and had always expected to see it happen.

Equally strange but totally unexpected, in that same house we also saw a surpassingly weird TV special titled 33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee, which featured Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger along with the Monkees, Fats Domino, and some others. If you want to see what late 60s TV thought psychedelia looked like, you can catch the whole thing on YouTube:

But it's 60 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

I will definitely find the time to watch that video. I was a huge Monkees fan. They were my first concert!

This is more thrown together than previous efforts. I like a nice, large terracotta bowl to first landscape and then plant up but not got round to that since we last moved.
View attachment 109419
Give it a month or two and it'll burst into a mass of small white and yellow flowers, all star like with 5 petals.
Nice piece of wood, too !

Since childhood I've spent time doing micro Zen gardening. Ive been mostly interested in sedums but I started with cacti. I don't have the first cacti I ever got but I have a friend who has an offset from it. Ive had my eye on getting an offset back for a couple of decades now.

The base plants I use are mostly succulents. They are stupid easy to grow from cuttings, offsets and even individual leaves. Despite life changes and having to leave things behind, succulents can be propagated from very small samples and ive taken them with me where ever I go. They can put up with months of neglect, great if you don't always have time to care for them in a way you would a cat for example. Some of the plants I have, I've had for 3 and probably 4 decades. Not always the original plant but as they come from division, genetically identical to the originals.

These are the plants my mum hooked me into gardening with. There's plenty of good plants and planting environments out there but this is my touchstone group and I expect to carry them with me all the way.
View attachment 109408 View attachment 109409 View attachment 109410 View attachment 109411 View attachment 109412 View attachment 109413

View attachment 109419
I love this idea...micro Zen gardening, and especially love that your plants have been with you for such a long time.

This is fabulous! :D

I always thought this made them look like they were walking a stone path up into the sky.
Totally. Gorgeous image. I want to walk there!

View attachment 109445

This little beach is at the end of Woodrow Avenue in Santa Cruz. From the fall of 1967 through the summer of 1969, while I was at UC Santa Cruz, I lived in this neighborhood, in different places but always within walking distance. So when my friends and roommates and I wanted to go sit on rocks and stare at the ocean or poke through tide pools, this is where we came. I still stop by there frequently and take pictures or just muse for a while.

Following FundyBrian, I took a photo of an old photo to post, so here's me in early 1969 with my ginger kitten Arthur:

View attachment 109444

After I graduated from UC Santa Cruz in June of 1969, I stuck around for the summer, working for an anthropology prof, helping to compile a Tiruray-English glossary on 3x5 index cards and living in this house with three roommates, just one block from that beach above.

View attachment 109446

Most of what happened that summer is not very interesting and none of your business anyway :mobibabe:, but in late July, some friends and roommates and I sat around the b/w TV and watched the first moon landing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11

It was exciting but not surprising because we were all sci-fi fans from years back and had always expected to see it happen.

Equally strange but totally unexpected, in that same house we also saw a surpassingly weird TV special titled 33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee, which featured Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger along with the Monkees, Fats Domino, and some others. If you want to see what late 60s TV thought psychedelia looked like, you can catch the whole thing on YouTube:

But it's 60 minutes of your life you'll never get back.
Just reading the words “Summer of ‘69” (and in Cali no less) brings to mind sooooooo many things. I was only 9 then and oblivious to the *scene*...always wished I had been older during that time. I love these memories you’ve shared...they’ve sort of woven into a little film/documentary in my mind... and that B&W photo is AWE-SOME. Peace, man.

Wowza.... in the beginning it seemed they were channeling Rocky Horror meets the Wicked Witch from the West meets The Ed Sullivan Show!!!! :lmao: But I was groovin’ to that rendition of I’m A Believer... :inlove: I’ll probably watch the whole thing... :rolleyes:

SAARA in Rio

Where lots of very cheap shops are concentrated in Rio, like an open mall, it’s been there for ages. In the heart of the city, downtown (Centro da cidade), close to museums and important cultural sites. When I went to high school (over 20 years ago), I studied in a school that was very close to that area and would go there after the classes, usually on Saturdays (I studied in a very traditional and sought after school in Rio, but one of the downsides was having to study on Saturdays, when all my other friends were at the beach or somewhere much nicer). You can find renovation supplies, clothes, sewing supplies, jewellery, fabrics of all kinds, gold, electronic appliances, good food, you name it. Literally an oasis for someone short on money (as a high school student) but who always liked to be covered in sparkling things :lol: at the end of the shopping spree (which then was getting a necklace, a pair of earrings and something for the hair for 5/10 moneys altogether, me and whoever ventured out with me would top it off with a visit to... yes, sorry, McDonald’s :D

These decorations are for the saints’ holidays in June, but you can see some of them in “special events” like world cups (Brazilians literally stop their lives to watch the matches, some companies close down on those days etc).

Taken with my old iPhone 5C (which I still use ever now and then) before I left Brazil for the second time to come to Australia
No edit
View attachment 109448
I love this story! Much like teenagers hanging out at the mall now. My friends go to Rio every year, but I love seeing this bit of local life from someone who grew up there.

Well, this has proven to be one of my favorite themes... I’m thinking we should continue this in another thread? It’s such a fun and interesting way to get to know each other on another level... what do you guys think?

Now it’s time for younger Juliana to choose her faves... thanks for such a great theme this week!! I don’t envy you this task. :coffee:

Well, this has proven to be one of my favorite themes... I’m thinking we should continue this in another thread? It’s such a fun and interesting way to get to know each other on another level... what do you guys think?

Now it’s time for younger Juliana to choose her faves... thanks for such a great theme this week!! I don’t envy you this task. :coffee:
I like the idea. It also gives us an opportunity to go through the, in my case, almost infinite camera roll :eek::D:cool:;):)

I’m thinking we should continue this in another thread?
Totally agree, I have to say I thought it a better project idea than a weekly challenge (no disrespect Juliana). Its just that Mobitog is all about smartphone photography i.e. up to date technology and that's difficult to do anything with, without resorting to capturing old 'film' photos, regarding memories and nostalgia. Or maybe that's just me :alien::D
Some great images though and I've enjoyed reading the text as well :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom