MobiColour RESULT: MC #45 THEME: Sacred Spaces - December 5-11

Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Cathedral, Quebec. This is a famous site for healing. People travel here to pray for miraculous healing for themselves or loved ones.
7b253ac49b0060f8693ecc17716b3de2.jpg

This is the specific area people come to within the cathedral to pray for healing. An introductory praying place in the foreground and behind is the area devoted to Sainte Anne.
8177bb371c0bd7eb3dad6953ff292eaf.jpg

The detail work all over this cathedral is astounding.

Beautiful!

Yikes! I was sure it had to be painted. That's amazing work.
Close up shot above one of the columns. If you zoom in, you can see the individual tiles. In 1912, installation of mosaics in the interior began. Completed in 1988, the mosaics collectively contain 41.5 million glass tesserae pieces in more than 7,000 colors. Covering 83,000 square feet (7,700 m2), it is the largest mosaic collection in the world.
IMG_1215.JPG

Close up shot above one of the columns. If you zoom in, you can see the individual tiles. In 1912, installation of mosaics in the interior began. Completed in 1988, the mosaics collectively contain 41.5 million glass tesserae pieces in more than 7,000 colors. Covering 83,000 square feet (7,700 m2), it is the largest mosaic collection in the world.
View attachment 85478

Amazing.

Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Cathedral, Quebec. This is a famous site for healing. People travel here to pray for miraculous healing for themselves or loved ones.
7b253ac49b0060f8693ecc17716b3de2.jpg

This is the specific area people come to within the cathedral to pray for healing. An introductory praying place in the foreground and behind is the area devoted to Sainte Anne.
8177bb371c0bd7eb3dad6953ff292eaf.jpg

The detail work all over this cathedral is astounding.

Beautiful cathedral in St. Louis, Missouri - no edits
View attachment 85458

Both have such gorgeous details, and so different in look/style.

Here's a pic of the ceiling...all mosaic.
View attachment 85462

View attachment 85478

Insanity. Can you imagine creating that?? It's just stunning.

My Sacred Space

View attachment 85409

I was having lunch with my friend and, as I was saying "Norma, I love you, but if you touch my food I'll stab you with this fork." I realised that the plate of food in front of me is my sacred space (any plate, any time). :lmao: This is a brandy snap and roasted peach dessert. Picsart and Snapseed.
Dont mess with me with my food :D

Knowing that one man’s ‘sacred’ is another man’s err, something else, and armed with 385 synonyms for ‘sacred’ from powerthesaurus.org (seriously, check it out: https://www.powerthesaurus.org/sacred/synonyms), I allowed myself the luxury of unapologetic subjectivity, and enjoyed each image for my experience of its interpretation of ‘sacred space/s’.

First: rizole's and terse' two images knocked my socks off (intellectually speaking). rizole 's moment of omnipotence ‘generating space where there wasn't any’ – well. At least 72 of the 385 synonyms are applicable here.

IMG_8640.JPG

In a weird kindof juxtaposition, terse goes all theory of origins, and locates the sacred in anatomical space with a clever play on (and the beginnings of a recipe for?) ‘primordial soup’ . Two votes for this image ‘on my wall if I were a teenager’ seal its place as joint winner.

IMG_8641.JPG

However. The longer I wrestled with concepts of omnipotence and primordial origin thingies, the clearer it became to me that you can't out sacred-space omnipotence – so it's rizole by a god-like, numinous, awe-inspiring, transcendent, exalted and immutable whisker.

Second: Equal second (would've been equal first if I thought I could get away with four winners): MotownLarry and FundyBrian heartfelt sharings of spaces sacred to them in the more intimate and personal sense of an experience of spirituality, being part of something greater. . . Different people would express it in different ways: freedictionary.com suggests sacred space (noun) is a “space—tangible or otherwise—that enables those who acknowledge and accept it to feel reverence and connection with the spiritual”.

IMG_8642.JPG

IMG_8645.JPG

Brian’s and Larry’s images are couldn't be more different: Brian is deep in the wilds of nature; Larry points to the architecture of sacred space. I've picked Larry’s first image for its stillness and beauty, and thank him for the follow-up images of the meticulous attention to detail in the beautiful cathedral in St Louis, Missouri. Brian provided a standard and a panoramic image of his sacred space, and I thank him for the accompanying story, which makes the whole that much more beautiful to read.

Honourable Mentions: To spare myself the migraine that threatened after my Deep Thought about non-space and primordial soup, I limited myself to two HM's and maintained the equal-and-different theme. GroovyGouvy Red Salon and sinnerjohn Derby County aka Greggs’ Sacred Sausage Roll both describe a kindof communion, inspiring to them in different ways, with shallwesay non-traditional ‘sacred spaces’: cigarettes in stairwells and greasy pink sausage rolls, respectively. I can't really think of anything else to say about that.

IMG_8643.JPG

IMG_8647.JPG

- - 0 - -

Thanks all for participating,

and for the usual Mobi-mix of subjects, perspectives, edits -

and for the always-entertaining accompanying conversation

:inlove:

Knowing that one man’s ‘sacred’ is another man’s err, something else, and armed with 385 synonyms for ‘sacred’ from powerthesaurus.org (seriously, check it out: https://www.powerthesaurus.org/sacred/synonyms), I allowed myself the luxury of unapologetic subjectivity, and enjoyed each image for my experience of its interpretation of ‘sacred space/s’.

First: @rizole’s and @terse’ two images knocked my socks off (intellectually speaking). @rizole’s moment of omnipotence ‘generating space where there wasn't any’ – well. At least 72 of the 385 synonyms are applicable here.

View attachment 85495

In a weird kindof juxtaposition, terse goes all theory of origins, and locates the sacred in anatomical space with a clever play on (and the beginnings of a recipe for?) ‘primordial soup’ . Two votes for this image ‘on my wall if I were a teenager’ seal its place as joint winner.

View attachment 85496

However. The longer I wrestled with concepts of omnipotence and primordial origin thingies, the clearer it became to me that you can't out sacred-space omnipotence – so it's rizole by a god-like, numinous, awe-inspiring, transcendent, exalted and immutable whisker.

Second: Equal second (would've been equal first if I thought I could get away with four winners): @motownlarry’s and @fundybrian’s heartfelt sharings of spaces sacred to them in the more intimate and personal sense of an experience of spirituality, being part of something greater. . . Different people would express it in different ways: freedictionary.com suggests sacred space (noun) is a “space—tangible or otherwise—that enables those who acknowledge and accept it to feel reverence and connection with the spiritual”.

View attachment 85497

View attachment 85499

Brian’s and Larry’s images are couldn't be more different: Brian is deep in the wilds of nature; Larry points to the architecture of sacred space. I've picked Larry’s first image for its stillness and beauty, and thank him for the follow-up images of the meticulous attention to detail in the beautiful cathedral in St Louis, Missouri. Brian provided a standard and a panoramic image of his sacred space, and I thank him for the accompanying story, which makes the whole that much more beautiful to read.

Honourable Mentions: To spare myself the migraine that threatened after my Deep Thought about non-space and primordial soup, I limited myself to two HM's and maintained the equal-and-different theme. @groovyGouvy’s Red Salon and @sinnerjohn’s Derby County aka Greggs’ Sacred Sausage Roll both describe a kindof communion, inspiring to them in different ways, with shallwesay non-traditional ‘sacred spaces’: cigarettes in stairwells and greasy pink sausage rolls, respectively. I can't really think of anything else to say about that.

View attachment 85501

View attachment 85502

- - 0 - -

Well, if I'm not mistaken, rizole Rizole has won (or am I mistaken :rolleyes:). Well done. I loved that image - it had me nodding and laughing at the same time. Congrats to Ted, Larry and Brian and the HMs Gouvy and John. :thumbs:

so it's rizole by a god-like, numinous, awe-inspiring, transcendent, exalted and immutable whisker.

Well, if I'm not mistaken, rizole Rizole has won (or am I mistaken :rolleyes:). Well done. I loved that image - it had me nodding and laughing at the same time. Congrats to Ted, Larry and Brian and the HMs Gouvy and John. :thumbs:

Do keep up, Jilly :rolleyes: :mobibabe:

:lmao: I know. I don't know why I was a bit confused. An age thing. :lol:

You weren't alone... [emoji849] I had to read it twice because at first I thought it was a tie... :lol:

Great wrap up Jen! Congratulations rizole!! [emoji471] Well done... living in the NYC area for many years I can greatly appreciate your image. [emoji1] And now you have the honor of choosing the theme for next week! [emoji848]

Kudos to Ted, Larry, Brian, Gouvy and John!! [emoji1360][emoji322]

First: rizole's and terse' two images knocked my socks off (intellectually speaking). rizole 's moment of omnipotence ‘generating space where there wasn't any’ – well. At least 72 of the 385 synonyms are applicable here.

View attachment 85495

View attachment 85496

Second: Equal second (would've been equal first if I thought I could get away with four winners): MotownLarry and FundyBrian heartfelt sharings of spaces sacred to them in the more intimate and personal sense of an experience of spirituality, being part of something greater. . . Different people would express it in different ways: freedictionary.com suggests sacred space (noun) is a “space—tangible or otherwise—that enables those who acknowledge and accept it to feel reverence and connection with the spiritual”.

View attachment 85497

View attachment 85499

Honourable Mentions: To spare myself the migraine that threatened after my Deep Thought about non-space and primordial soup, I limited myself to two HM's and maintained the equal-and-different theme. GroovyGouvy Red Salon and sinnerjohn Derby County aka Greggs’ Sacred Sausage Roll both describe a kindof communion, inspiring to them in different ways, with shallwesay non-traditional ‘sacred spaces’: cigarettes in stairwells and greasy pink sausage rolls, respectively. I can't really think of anything else to say about that.

View attachment 85501

View attachment 85502

- - 0 - -

Congrats to rizole, I always appreciate your perspective (me being more stuck inside the box) and all the HM's. Great wrap up, Jen. I can always count on you to expand my horizons and vocabulary (read "numinous")

Back
Top Bottom