MobiColour RESULT: MC #88 Theme: Landscapes - Oct 2-8

Does a cityscape count as landscape when taken in landscape?
Frankfurt lights (25th of August, Germany; FusionHDR)

View attachment 99928

Or even when shot in portrait?

Over The River Main (27th of August, from the Cathedral tower, Frankfurt, Germany; iPhone 6s+ native, Snapseed)

View attachment 99929

Framed Landscape (1st of July, Ilford, England; iP6s+ native, Snapseed)

View attachment 99931
Three wonderful images Gouvy - and all fit the theme in my opinion.

View attachment 99928

Over The River Main (27th of August, from the Cathedral tower, Frankfurt, Germany; iPhone 6s+ native, Snapseed)

View attachment 99929

View attachment 99931
Fantastic images, Gouvy. And the last one so clever.

Me, too. I was also realizing I hardly ever photograph landscapes that don't include water. The intertidal zone is one place that is both below water and above water depending on the tide.
Beyond that, the thing that calls to some deep place within is the meeting of the most basic elements, water, sky, earth, but especially exposed bedrock.
I was never a water person before photography probably because I associated it with getting cold after swimming or being frozen at the end of a day out boating but now I just can't get enough of it especially small boats close to the water's surface that we experienced in Asia and where it's never that cold. I fully understand your love of kayaking which I wouldn't have before Asia. As part of our trip to Namibia I have organised kayaking amongst the seals at Swakopmund!

This is stunning Gouvy, I always like a landscape in portrait.

Just goes to show that "landscape" is a meaningless word when it comes to describing the orientation of Landscapes.
Just like there are tons of horizontal portraits.
So why do some people use landscape and portrait to describe photo orientations?

Just goes to show that "landscape" is a meaningless word when it comes to describing the orientation of Landscapes.
Just like there are tons of horizontal portraits.
So why do some people use landscape and portrait to describe photo orientations?

Because it's English. In German we say "Hochformat" and "Querformat". Hard to translate, especially with "quer" I always end up with landscape. [emoji1] but vertical and horizontal are much more precisely. Don't know why English is sometimes soooo easy to mix up meanings using the right words. But maybe it's just because it's not my mother tongue. [emoji848]

Because it's English. In German we say "Hochformat" and "Querformat". Hard to translate, especially with "quer" I always end up with landscape.
emoji1.png
but vertical and horizontal are much more precisely. Don't know why English is sometimes soooo easy to mix up meanings using the right words. But maybe it's just because it's not my mother tongue.
No, you had it right in the first sentence -- it's because it's English, the mad borrower of languages, which frequently has several parallel ways to say a thing, each sourced from a different language.

James Nicoll said "We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary."

To clarify some of the previous discussions, by landscape, I’m asking for pictures of landscapes. Orientation is NOT a consideration.

P.S. Please provide a location. E.G. RoseCat...where is your summer cornfield? And ImageArt, your canal is where? I’m not going to hold anyone to insufficient descriptions. I just would like to know where these fab photos were taken.

London view (taken 18th of June from Greenwich hill near the Zero Meridian, England; 6s+ native, Snapseed)

Snapseed.jpg

Dangerous Energetic Twins (Grafenrheinfeld, Bavaria, Germany, 30th of April; 6s+ native, Snapseed)

Snapseed.jpg

Wonderful Westerwald (Bad Marienberg, Germany, 25th of May; 6s+ native, Snapseed)

Snapseed.jpg

View attachment 99928

View attachment 99929

View attachment 99931

Like all three [emoji108]
Btw, the third photo, is it from inside train? Or?

Thanks!
How did you manage to use toolwiz partly on the picture? It looks like a "pixel wind" but just on different parts of the picture. [emoji15] If one can paint the effect I have to have a closer look on toolwiz. [emoji51]
Toolwiz allows you to mask effects so after applying you can finger paint it on and off different parts of the picture.

Back
Top Bottom