What are you watching?

I started on Whizzer and Chips and The Dandy (UK weekly comics) as a kid, graduating onto Peanuts, Asterix, Tintin and later Mad magazine. I never really got to grips with Marvell or DC but love a good graphic novel. I'd recommend Elfquest, which is all readable online. Started in the 80s with some lovely storytelling in it.
Bone is also a fabulous work of art. Seminal stuff.
How strange, the kids had a game called Elfquest. I just bookmarked it and will send the link to the boys (ages 37 and 39, now) Seth probably will just laugh I’ll bet Andy (younger) reads it. I will, too. Especially at work I like to, read during lunch while everyone else talks about people.

Before vs now.
Clipboard02.jpg

Was Mad ever relevant in the UK? Would Viz travel to the USA, Johnny Fartpants, The Fat Slags, Buster Gonad etc?
Was for me. I was reading it around the time Airplane and Life of Brian was out. I was listening to The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy on the radio, watching Not the 9 O'clock News on TV. I used to record Jasper Carrott off the radio and I still have my copy of Captin Paraletic and the Brown Ale Cowboy by Mike Harding somewhere. This was also around the time of the HeeBeeGeeBees (Never Mind The Originals Here's The Hee Bee Gee Bees.) I hoovered up all that stuff with the focus of a boy who hadn't yet hit puberty.

Was for me. I was reading it around the time Airplane and Life of Brian was out. I was listening to The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy on the radio, watching Not the 9 O'clock News on TV. I used to record Jasper Carrott off the radio and I still have my copy of Captin Paraletic and the Brown Ale Cowboy by Mike Harding somewhere. This was also around the time of the HeeBeeGeeBees (Never Mind The Originals Here's The Hee Bee Gee Bees.) I hoovered up all that stuff with the focus of a boy who hadn't yet hit puberty.
Yes but all those references are very English, Mad magazine always seemed very American to me, like Rolling Stone, just not really in line with the Brit scene.

Yes but all those references are very English, Mad magazine always seemed very American to me, like Rolling Stone, just not really in line with the Brit scene.
In that case, how about Police Squad, Cheers, WKRP in Cincinatti, Taxi, The A Team, The Dukes of Hazzard, Mash, Magnum PI, Mork and Mindy, Night Rider, Happy Days, Charlies Angels, Hart to Hart, Soap? There was a lot of good (and bad) American TV on our screens back then and Mad magazine was taking the micky out of a lot of it.

And with TV, advertising, and politics as targets, they were never short of material.
I loved the brilliance of Mort Drucker's pen. Genius. The Mad Fold In, Spy Vs Spy. Al Jaffe, Don Martin, Groo the Wanderer, Jack Davis.
Good times. I see it went out of print 3 years ago. So it goes.
Culturally (sinnerjohn) I think the contribution of the magazine is comparable to Private Eye in the UK. Groundbreaking, satirical, powerfully subversive and with dedicated, decade long conributions from a core set of content creators.

Last edited:
TBH - I use an Amazon Firestick with the Kodi app. I wouldn't be without it. Watched Suicide Squad (2021) last night. Great stuff.
I have Roku. I still have to pay for HBO. I don’t see an app for Kodi, just a remote.

Back
Top Bottom