What are you watching?

'Er in lockdown made me a non-decaf coffee this evening so on the chances I'm unlikely to get much sleep I've been through this thread for ideas to kill some hours tonight. I'm downloading The Stranger and Bosch.

As I'm here, recommendations are:

Shadow and Bone - Fantasy probably aimed at the young adult market but much to recommend it. A distinct Russian feel to the world, well written, excitement, adventure, treachery, good, evil and a love story.

Invincible - Comic to animation superhero stuff for grown ups. All the swearwords, blood and guts deaths, nice.

And for movies:

• Promising Young Woman - black comedy thriller, got loads of nominations and won awards. Carey Mulliagan can do no wrong for me.
  • The Map of Tiny Perfect Things - Kind of Groundhog day but less cynical, lighter, more feel good and with some twists Groundhog day missed.
  • Those Who Wish me Dead - Action Thriller with Angelena Jolie, Aiden Gillen (littlefinger in GOT) and Jon Bernthal (Shane in the Walking dead). The characterisation and motivations are weak in places - she's so broken and guilty but a kid in distress might help her pull through - but it's a solid thriller.

Fantasy probably aimed at the young adult market
Well I'm 62 and I enjoyed it! (but fantasy is my thang)

My recent viewing has been among others,
Mare of Eastown - Crime whodunnit from HBO with Kate Winslet
The Nevers - Victorian steampunk sci-f-/fantasy
Jupiter's Legacy - Superhero's grown old.
The Handmaids Tale S4 ongoing (not everyone's taste)
Sweet Tooth - Netflix comic book fantasy adaptation
Loki - just starting on Disney

and for the zombie fans - Fear the Walking Dead is having a great end to the current season.
Army of the dead on Netflix - zombie tiger, beat that!

I’m watching “Stateless” on Netflix… a limited series about the detention centers in Australia. Heartbreaking.

Oxygen is a white knuckle ride for scifi fans. If gravity worked for you, worth giving it a go.

I’ve just started watching Clarkson’s Farm on Amazon Prime… it’s hilarious. And what could be better than the Cotswolds??

I’ve just started watching Clarkson’s Farm on Amazon Prime… it’s hilarious. And what could be better than the Cotswolds??

Sounds like Britian’s ”Green Acres”. I may have to give that watch. I usually only watch SciFi. Or lately Marvel Comics stuff on Disney. Is that sci-fi?

Sounds like Britian’s ”Green Acres”. I may have to give that watch. I usually only watch SciFi. Or lately Marvel Comics stuff on Disney. Is that sci-fi?
It kinda crosses categories a bit I reckon. Gaurdians of the galaxy is very scifi but a lot of them are more JK Rowling than Arthur C Clark. More Middle Earth than Planet of the Apes.

It kinda crosses categories a bit I reckon. Gaurdians of the galaxy is very scifi but a lot of them are more JK Rowling than Arthur C Clark. More Middle Earth than Planet of the Apes.
I feel kinda embarrassed but I am watching (and loving) Gaurdians of the Galaxy. We started with Loki, very entertaining, action, lots of excitement. So I just thought I’d check out the background, so to speak. I watched Thor and rather liked that. I used watch comic book stuff with my kids. Now I’ve no one to hide behind. :flushed:

I love Middle Earth, not so much the Apes.

I watched the entire series. It's is, for Clarkson, a humbling experience: and that's saying something as he has a reputation for being a pompous ass ;)

I feel kinda embarrassed but I am watching (and loving) Gaurdians of the Galaxy. We started with Loki, very entertaining, action, lots of excitement. So I just thought I’d check out the background, so to speak. I watched Thor and rather liked that. I used watch comic book stuff with my kids. Now I’ve no one to hide behind. :flushed:

I love Middle Earth, not so much the Apes.
Last year, in the doldrums of lockdown me and my youngest started watching the mcu films from the start. Although a lot of them stand alone as movies I think they've done a good job of a making it an actual universe with some story arcs spanning the whole series. Very good story telling all round.
Comics and graphic novels are fab. Having dyslexia in the family it's comics and the like that's been the entry point into reading for a few of us.

Last year, in the doldrums of lockdown me and my youngest started watching the mcu films from the start. Although a lot of them stand alone as movies I think they've done a good job of a making it an actual universe with some story arcs spanning the whole series. Very good story telling all round.
Comics and graphic novels are fab. Having dyslexia in the family it's comics and the like that's been the entry point into reading for a few of us.
I have read Spiderman forever. I still read the strip in my daily comics (used to be an actual newspaper :cry:) That is sort of what lead me to the Masters of the Universe. The current story involves the raccoon (Rocket?) and I saw him on the “What to watch next” list. I read quite a lot of comics in the day. Archie was a favorite along with Spidey and Fantastic Four.

I had to Google MCU, but now I have a mission and thanks to Wikipedia a time line. Poor Mike, we take turns picking movies. He always pick a western. He’s about to take a trip to another universe.

I have read Spiderman forever. I still read the strip in my daily comics (used to be an actual newspaper :cry:) That is sort of what lead me to the Masters of the Universe. The current story involves the raccoon (Rocket?) and I saw him on the “What to watch next” list. I read quite a lot of comics in the day. Archie was a favorite along with Spidey and Fantastic Four.

I had to Google MCU, but now I have a mission and thanks to Wikipedia a time line. Poor Mike, we take turns picking movies. He always pick a western. He’s about to take a trip to another universe.
If you have Disney+, you can choose to watch the MCU in 'timeline order' - its a biiig job, as there are so many films. The 'Loki' series is setting up the antagonist for the next Phase of the MCU, which kicks in with Dr Strange in Multiverse of Madness.

If Mike enjoys a western, watch the HBO Westworld series, its a stunning combination of John Ford style western themes and hard science fiction. Not to be confused with the seventies Yul Brynner film, which it does reference!

If you have Disney+, you can choose to watch the MCU in 'timeline order' - its a biiig job, as there are so many films. The 'Loki' series is setting up the antagonist for the next Phase of the MCU, which kicks in with Dr Strange in Multiverse of Madness.

If Mike enjoys a western, watch the HBO Westworld series, its a stunning combination of John Ford style western themes and hard science fiction. Not to be confused with the seventies Yul Brynner film, which it does reference!
We pay for very little TV. Prime Video and Disney+ is it. We went with Disney to watch the Mandialorian, so this and Loki makes up for the singleminded expense. (Welllll, there is the occasional Goofy cartoon). Oh, yes and Paramount, for Picard and Discovery. No HBO and Mike can find enough westerns on his own, thank you! :lmao:

We don’t pay for cable anymore just for the internet connection. We have an antenna. I also make coffee in a percolator. :rolleyes: Sort of throw backs, we are.

Edit: Okay, I just Googled Westworld. Don’t make me subscribe to HBO!

I read quite a lot of comics in the day.
I started on Whizzer and Chips and The Dandy (UK weekly comics) as a kid, graduating onto Peanuts, Asterix, Tintin and later Mad magazine. I never really got to grips with Marvell or DC but love a good graphic novel. I'd recommend Elfquest, which is all readable online. Started in the 80s with some lovely storytelling in it.
Bone is also a fabulous work of art. Seminal stuff.

Back
Top Bottom