Embracing Britishness: biscuits

Cookies: How do you like yours?

• Total voters
Is there such a thing in England as biscuit bread? Current citizens may elucidate here ;) Bread, in my parents’ house, when it was on the table, came in different shapes: slice, roll, etc. A scone was eaten with either butter and jam, or clotted cream with strawberries or strawberry jam. I don’t remember if we ate anything like a American “biscuit”, and never with gravy :eek: The closest thing I can think of would be Yorkshire Pudding, which is of course, totally different, and may be seen, in this context, as a curve ball :lol:
I have not lived in England since the early 70s, except for around 18 months in 1990-1991, so I could be totally wrong.
Nah, no such thing as biscuit bread. It would be like making a massive flat scone and we don't do that.

Is there such a thing in England as biscuit bread? Current citizens may elucidate here ;) Bread, in my parents’ house, when it was on the table, came in different shapes: slice, roll, etc. A scone was eaten with either butter and jam, or clotted cream with strawberries or strawberry jam. I don’t remember if we ate anything like a American “biscuit”, and never with gravy :eek: The closest thing I can think of would be Yorkshire Pudding, which is of course, totally different, and may be seen, in this context, as a curve ball :lol:
I have not lived in England since the early 70s, except for around 18 months in 1990-1991, so I could be totally wrong.
No, you are absolutely right.

This threads got a bit bogged down, imo, so I've done a Venn diagram to try and bring some order back to it. It's slightly worrying that we haven't got onto cakes yet and we're already on page 7. If I didn't know better I'd think you lot weren't taking this seriously.
20181118_203721-01.jpeg

Last edited:
This threads got a bit bogged down, imo, so I've done a Venn diagram to try and bring some order back to it. It's slightly worrying that we haven't got onto cakes yet and we're already on page 7. If I did know better I'd think you lot weren't taking this seriously.
View attachment 117172
I def want you on my team. Nobody else could possibly make head nor tail of this thread! :lmao:

This threads got a bit bogged down, imo, so I've done a Venn diagram to try and bring some order back to it. It's slightly worrying that we haven't got onto cakes yet and we're already on page 7. If I did know better I'd think you lot weren't taking this seriously.
View attachment 117172
OMG.... this literally made me LOL. Brilliant. :lmao:

View attachment 117172

Just when I thought I could not look at this thread again. Where would we be without you, rizole.

This threads got a bit bogged down, imo, so I've done a Venn diagram to try and bring some order back to it. It's slightly worrying that we haven't got onto cakes yet and we're already on page 7. If I didn't know better I'd think you lot weren't taking this seriously.
View attachment 117172
Thank you SOOOO much for this diagram Rizole, it makes everything clear.:mobibabe:

Agreed, I think this is what our non British friends are missing. Our biscuits have to be designed for dunking, you'd never get a huge soft cookie in your cup of tea and even if you did it would fall apart :lol:
Oreos and milk working pretty good for dunking. Or ginger snaps.....

Our friend just returned from another UK business trip with a tin of Walker’s Shortbread (complete with certificate :mobibabe:) and. . . . a commemorative tin of Christmas Biscuits WITH MEGHAN AND HARRY ON THE LID !!! Saves me buying the teatowel :mobibabe: :alien:

Back
Top Bottom