Embracing Britishness: biscuits

Cookies: How do you like yours?

• Total voters
OK now. Let’s look at cookies, or biscuits if you prefer. I’m of the opinion that cookies are crisp, crunchy, definitely not bendable. Those soft bendable things should be called something else. I vote they be banished from cookie-dom, or biscuit-dom, as it were.

Where I grew up we had:
Cookie = biscuit
Biscuit = scone
Bread = bread
That’s fine, except that biscuits and scones are not the same thing, and have different recipes. Muffins, English muffins, bagels, and probably a few more fit in this category. The most bread-like among them would be dinner rolls.

And where I grew up :

Cookie = we didn’t have cookies
Biscuit = biscuit
Bread = bread
Scone = scone, with or without currants or cheese. AKA biscuit in the USA.
When you look in the (North American) recipe books biscuits and scones have different recipes.
Mind you, Canadian and US recipe books (pre metric) use different units. Based on the difference in size between the Imperial quart and US quart.

When you look in the (North American) recipe books biscuits and scones have different recipes.
Biscuits are not sweet, scones are, so really the main difference is the added sugar, and the shape if you want to make your scone a triangle. Or if you add things like currents or cheese. But that's like saying that white rice is different from another white rice just because you added mushrooms to one. The base is the same, it's just how you ad-lib it that makes it different.

The question about bread has not yet been resolved. If someone at the table asks if you could pass them some bread would you pass them the sliced bread or the biscuit bread?

The question about bread has not yet been resolved. If someone at the table asks if you could pass them some bread would you pass them the sliced bread or the biscuit bread?
There's no such thing as "biscuit bread" in my house. A biscuit is a biscuit. Bread is bread, though it may be sourdough, or rye, or 7 grain, or whole wheat. Rolls are a bit different than bread, mostly in their shape.

Me too!!
I also believe that chocolate chip cookies should be crispy around the edges and soft and chewy in the middle parts. I don't like a hard, crunchy one. :barf:
Oh, no. Please not soft in the middle. I don’t like a hard cookie, either. I like a cookie with a nice consistent crunchie texture, all the way through.
Let’s say, shortbread cookies are a nice hardness while scotch cookies (another kind of shortbread) are a bit on the hard side.
The texture of food is probably as important as, or perhaps a bit more important than, the taste.

Oh, no. Please not soft in the middle. I don’t like a hard cookie, either. I like a cookie with a nice consistent crunchie texture, all the way through.
Let’s say, shortbread cookies are a nice hardness while scotch cookies (another kind of shortbread) are a bit on the hard side.
The texture of food is probably as important as, or perhaps a bit more important than, the taste.
:lol: We should do a poll. I dislike hard cookies as much as you dislike the soft ones.:D

Biscuit bread? o_O Never heard of it. It certainly doesn’t exist here in the UK.
I wrote that poorly I guess. I meant the things we call biscuits and you call bread. How do you differentiate them from bread. Verbally. I know you could point and say, do you mean this bread or that bread.
Interestingly, when I type bread I get a bread emoji. But when I type biscuit no emoji appears.

I wrote that poorly I guess. I meant the things we call biscuits and you call bread. How do you differentiate them from bread. Verbally. I know you could point and say, do you mean this bread or that bread.
Interestingly, when I type bread I get a bread emoji. But when I type biscuit no emoji appears.
There would be no place for what you think of as a biscuit on the UK dinner table, so the question would never arise.

:lol: We should do a poll. I dislike hard cookies as much as you dislike the soft ones.:D
I think we can agree that crunchie cookies and soft bendable cookes are different enough that they don’t belong in the same category.
What’s next? Chocolates with cream centres or with solid centres?

I think we can agree that crunchie cookies and soft bendable cookes are different enough that they don’t belong in the same category.
Hmmmm.... I don't agree. They are most definitely in the same category which is "cookie". There are sub-categories though, which could include hard/crunchy or soft/chewy. The same with chocolates. One category, many sub-categories.

Back
Top Bottom