Hipstamatic and storage

It's sad, I think, that after all these years of having such a close and lively relationship with Hipstamatic -- which used to epitomize, for me, everything that was cool and exciting about iPhone photography -- we find ourselves in this sort of joyless dénouement where the whole conversation is about bugs and questionable decisions, with occasional reference to the good old days, and some speculation about what's going on in the estranged partner's head these days.

I've finally -- after five months -- managed to load all my old Hipsta gear onto a 6S and so I've finally been using Model 30x for a couple of weeks. Even bought some new gear to try out some combos I discovered on Eric's blog. Now I'm almost afraid to look at the storage data, which I expect will only spoil this little reprise. Ah well. We'll always have 2012.

one thing ... I really hope that I won't have to delete and re-install ... because it's so time consuming to re-create favorite combos. That's the thing, the only thing maybe that I hate about this app, no iCloud backup of favorites [emoji35]

It's sad, I think, that after all these years of having such a close and lively relationship with Hipstamatic -- which used to epitomize, for me, everything that was cool and exciting about iPhone photography -- we find ourselves in this sort of joyless dénouement where the whole conversation is about bugs and questionable decisions, with occasional reference to the good old days, and some speculation about what's going on in the estranged partner's head these days.

I've finally -- after five months -- managed to load all my old Hipsta gear onto a 6S and so I've finally been using Model 30x for a couple of weeks. Even bought some new gear to try out some combos I discovered on Eric's blog. Now I'm almost afraid to look at the storage data, which I expect will only spoil this little reprise. Ah well. We'll always have 2012.

Haha Richard! So poetically put!

one thing ... I really hope that I won't have to delete and re-install ... because it's so time consuming to re-create favorite combos. That's the thing, the only thing maybe that I hate about this app, no iCloud backup of favorites [emoji35]

I lost all mine when I did this recently (naturally). I'm going to skip favorites, I really only have one that I like best of all, and I know the lens and film for that.

One thing I did discover, because I don't have a ton of available space on my phone (and I'm kind of glad because that keeps me disciplined now that I've gotten through my own Age of Exploration), lately I've been using this app called Battery that boosts memory and cleans up the cache for the phone. I suspect that Hipstamatic as it is now creates a lot of unnecessary leftover files, and clearing the cache to throw that all away doesn't work. I'm still ever more leary of using it though since I started this thread, because I'm not sure that that theory is correct, and if I get over 1 GB of space taken up again because it's wrong... well let's not got there.

Apple doesn't allow any app to clean anything that's not a part of the app itself ... that goes for cache in RAM and on disk (flash memory). Apps are sandboxed on iOS (no interaction with other apps or the OS at system level). If an app advertises itself by saying the opposite, they're lying. And if they don't (lie), they get banned from the App Store until they comply with the rules.

I actually COULD delete and reinstall, as all my faves disappeared when I upgraded to the new Hipsta, so now I don't have any. Wonder if a delete/reinstall would even make a difference?

I actually COULD delete and reinstall, as all my faves disappeared when I upgraded to the new Hipsta, so now I don't have any. Wonder if a delete/reinstall would even make a difference?

it definitely will make a difference ... but temporarily ... if there's a bug it will come back. If you wanna do it anyway don't forget to reboot before you install the app again.

it definitely will make a difference ... but temporarily ... if there's a bug it will come back. If you wanna do it anyway don't forget to reboot before you install the app again.
Thanks! Maybe I'll try it..... I use it so infrequently now, it doesn't really matter. Although I am really digging the Arjan film and want to take more shots with it.

Apple doesn't allow any app to clean anything that's not a part of the app itself ... that goes for cache in RAM and on disk (flash memory). Apps are sandboxed on iOS (no interaction with other apps or the OS at system level). If an app advertises itself by saying the opposite, they're lying. And if they don't (lie), they get banned from the App Store until they comply with the rules.

This app just cleans up Apple apps, that part is true. It's a legit app. And it does make a difference in both my storage and memory.

WOW!!! Now it's down to 67.8 MB! [emoji106] But I haven't opened/used it yet so who knows.

That's the size of the app - it's 66.8 according to my storage settings. Once you start reinstalling packages that goes UP (though packs never seemed to affect the size of the classic way back when...). Then, oh don't go to the "Pro" version - that makes everything really go horribly wrong. :/

Wonder if a delete/reinstall

Phillipe is correct. It helps, briefly, and then grows and grows again. I quit doing that because it's only a temporary fix and I have to restore my gear every time. :mad:

This app just cleans up Apple apps, that part is true. It's a legit app. And it does make a difference in both my storage and memory.

I use it, too. It helps! (Well, maybe not with Hipsta o_O, but other stuff.)

Phillipe is correct. It helps, briefly, and then grows and grows again. I quit doing that because it's only a temporary fix and I have to restore my gear every time. :mad:

I use it, too. It helps! (Well, maybe not with Hipsta o_O, but other stuff.)
It is the restoring gear that will 'Grow' it after a restore Tara... :whistle:

However, it should not be much more than around 600MB even if you have the full load of packs, fillums, lenses and cases, as I do... :D

If it goes beyond that then it will be bugged somehow and that is what we are asking Hipstamatic to resolve, I think... :rog:

That's the size of the app - it's 66.8 according to my storage settings. Once you start reinstalling packages that goes UP (though packs never seemed to affect the size of the classic way back when...). Then, oh don't go to the "Pro" version - that makes everything really go horribly wrong. :/
I don't think I'm going to restore all the films/lenses (if possible??) just the few I know I'll use. Hopefully you're not *forced* to restore them all?

I don't think I'm going to restore all the films/lenses (if possible??) just the few I know I'll use. Hopefully you're not *forced* to restore them all?

of course not ;) you have two options:

1 download or not (anything from film to flash etc...)

2 download but not activate, that's just to get an uncluttered row of gear when editing.

... so don't use the global restore button, but download items individually.

It is the restoring gear that will 'Grow' it after a restore Tara... :whistle:

However, it should not be much more than around 600MB even if you have the full load of packs, fillums, lenses and cases, as I do... :D

If it goes beyond that then it will be bugged somehow and that is what we are asking Hipstamatic to resolve, I think... :rog:

Well, yes...but it keeps growing, even after that. Uninstalling, reinstalling and restoring gear results in reducing the space used, briefly - in my case, to around just over 400MB. Then it starts to creep up and up to as much as twice that, inexplicably.

It's currently around 700MB, and I haven't added any gear or favorites since the last time I reinstalled, and there's only one photo associated.

I also have an issue from time to time with Hipsta saving edits without the image included. I'll go to my camera roll and where there should be an edited image is just a mottled rectangle. This might be because I'm on an older device (5C), I suppose.

Well, yes...but it keeps growing, even after that. Uninstalling, reinstalling and restoring gear results in reducing the space used, briefly - in my case, to around just over 400MB. Then it starts to creep up and up to as much as twice that, inexplicably.

It's currently around 700MB, and I haven't added any gear or favorites since the last time I reinstalled, and there's only one photo associated.

I also have an issue from time to time with Hipsta saving edits without the image included. I'll go to my camera roll and where there should be an edited image is just a mottled rectangle. This might be because I'm on an older device (5C), I suppose.

I'm on 5C too, but that's never happened to me...

I've stopped creating favorites time ago because there is no cloud saving as Philippe Schlossberg said, which a bit unbelievable but I've stopped thinking about how Hipstamatic has its priorities.

By the way, it's also weird to have a size of 1MB! But fair enough. I've checked now as I'm deleting some new gear, that more or less each one take a space of 4MB, around 1.5MB for the image and the rest for the cache, some more some less. So basically, even without using it too much, the size should go at least at 4MB x N°of gears. And from there easily increasing.

I uninstall completely the gears I'm not using and right now I have around 80 more or less, but as RoseCat does, I'm addicted more to VSCO too and also provoke camera in this period.

Back
Top Bottom