Hipstamatic and storage

I downloaded just a handful of my fave films (17)/lenses (11) and its up to 161 MB, but that's not too bad. [emoji106]

yeah, I guess I could cut some more lenses and films as well but I never have time to test the new ones. Honestly, they should stop the Oggl subscription and go back to a new package every 2 months minimum. Imho.

Honestly, they should stop the Oggl subscription and go back to a new package every 2 months minimum. Imho.

well there's a new pack each month ... or do you mean they should show some restraint and release less - and better - packs ?

As to Oggl, the photographic interface itself is dying slowly ... no update except for bugs. I guess they will keep the network.

yeah, I guess I could cut some more lenses and films as well but I never have time to test the new ones. Honestly, they should stop the Oggl subscription and go back to a new package every 2 months minimum. Imho.

One shouldn't have to make those kinds of choices because the app grows uncontrollably bigger every time you use it. It's Hipstamatic's problem and if they don't fix it people are not going to use it anymore, never mind how many new filters they issue.

As for Oggl, it serves as a social network for Hipstamatic users. Maybe some people like that. But the thing about Oggl that always bothered me is that there are just too many filters and they're organized in a tedious way, it's overwhelming. Also as I recall (maybe they changed that after I stopped posting?...), there's no room at all for discussion, so yeah, anyone can fling their pictures into cyberspace for an eternity - so what? I just can't do that kind of thing (I tried). It's boring to me.

Yes, sorry. When they have started the Oggl subscription they have promised one new pak each month and we have definitely seen an overall lower quality. I suppose they have to deliver because they have Oggl subscriptions as well. They should stop and focus on quality again. Imho.

And yes, Oggl will be a mystery right now.

well there's a new pack each month ... or do you mean they should show some restraint and release less - and better - packs ?

As to Oggl, the photographic interface itself is dying slowly ... no update except for bugs. I guess they will keep the network.

Sometimes I wonder, what with ALL the glut of programs with filters, whether releasing new filters is really much of a draw for me anymore. I support Hipstamatic because of my experience with it over time, but now... man am I tired of filters. I might have to stop with this program. As I have been more and more with apps in general. I think I have enough and need to just stick with very few - the point is the work, these things are all just tools.

Still it's a shame, because Hipstamatic has released some very beautiful and unique tools. But maybe, its time is over now.

I don't think their time is over but they are a bit too greedy sometimes and they should focus on quality and stability again. And stop opining new apps and concentrate on what they have and do it better. Imho.

Sometimes I wonder, what with ALL the glut of programs with filters, whether releasing new filters is really much of a draw for me anymore.
I imagine more and more people feel this way. And at the same time, I think the developers are caught in a trap, because an app without updates and new features -- an app that just sits there and works -- will drop out of sight (literally so, in the App Store).

I'm wondering if just playing with switching film, lens, flash options is what is increasing the size? I do a lot of flipping through combos and that could be why mine is so bloated. Now at 45.6 G and I only took a few photos in the last week, yet it increased by about a gig.

You can go in and tediously clear the caches individually on each film, lens, flash, but that doesn't free up much space in total. This is what Ryan, the developer, suggested on the beta Facebook group. Obviously this isn't what's causing the bloat.

I imagine more and more people feel this way. And at the same time, I think the developers are caught in a trap, because an app without updates and new features -- an app that just sits there and works -- will drop out of sight (literally so, in the App Store).

Well true, but then again, this is a curious market. To take an example of "analog" products that artists use, like Arches watercolor paper - suppliers make products like these for years (or centuries in the case of Arches), and as David says above, they focus on a specific thing they do really well - and their product survives for well, as long as it survives. This can apply to anything sold, really. I've seen developers abandon products when they're no longer interested in them or can't sustain them - e.g. the Backspaces app/site - so really if Hipstamatic keeps issuing negligibly valuable filter sets and lets their programming go to pot, they're already being dropped - just not by Apple yet. If they issue a filter every now and then instead of every month no matter what (and we pay for each of the 300 filters that are new, unlike with Oggl, whose subscription covers it), as they used to, they'd still stay relevant in the app store. I've seen apps there that haven't updated in any major way for some years. Why can't they take their time like those developers? Because now they've tied everything in with Oggl, and that's the Oggl way.

Poor strategy and focus. Poor programming. Mediocre filters most of the time. Isn't this a bit like suicide? They don't even have to wait till the App store execution.

... keeping in mind that while we're gently chatting ... first there's no other thread as long as Hipstamatic threads on Mobitog (app discussions)[emoji6], ...and Hipstamatic sells better than ever on the App Store [emoji3]

yeah [emoji53]

I sent a message to Ryan on FB suggesting that he respond to the long bloating topic in the beta group there. I suggested that since that group had helped the development of the 300 app with our suggestions, it would be proper to respond to some of the ongoing issues. Not holding my breath but will advise if he has anything to say.

To take an example of "analog" products that artists use, like Arches watercolor paper - suppliers make products like these for years (or centuries in the case of Arches), and as David says above, they focus on a specific thing they do really well - and their product survives for well, as long as it survives.
It's not quite the same, though. When you buy watercolor paper, you use it, and then it's gone (framed on a wall or thrown away), so you buy more. With software, you buy it, you use it, and it doesn't get used up -- you keep using the same purchase over and over unless it breaks (because of a system upgrade, for example), in which case the developer may be able to sell you an updated version (though many people expect to get those for free). That's not an excuse for rolling out meaningless updates or IAPs, but a software developer has to keep generating new purchases (or else go to subscription software-as-a-service like Adobe :eek:).

Question for those that have deleted and reinstalled the app...

Did it fix the issue of hipsta not processing photos at all? I currently have a processing rate of 2 in 10 photos. Meaning 2 develop and 8 do not. This is not an over exaggeration. I'm probably being generous.

Hard closing hipsta does not close out the app completely. I am certain of this. My app continues to loop in it's errors regardless of how many times I close it out. (Opens up on editing photos.. Sometimes weeks old regardless of what I was currently working on, continues to crash, refuses to save, ext) Sometimes things improve with a restart of the phone, but only sometimes. There is no guarantee.

I use hipsta, despite the issues, as my primary camera app. Always have. At present I am trying to use hipsta at each photo occasion for as long as possible before the errors force me to use another camera app. This is aggravating and I spend more time fighting the app than actually shooting.

I will also suggest, reluctantly, that the app is storing photos. I understand that we have been told that it isn't and have no access to an internal gallery, but the behavior of my app suggest that it is storing photos somewhere other than in the photo albums. I've already stated that the majority of my photos are not processing. They are not showing up in the photos app. They simply are just gone, right? No. Throughout these months I've had several.. Upwards of 10 to 15 photos.. Show up way after I took them. Always when opening the app, always random, and in no particular order. They do not show up in the order I took them. I had a photo I shot in October show up in January. In Between that time I had many other unprocessed show up. This makes me question whether or not there is a lack of an internal gallery. Is anyone else having this issue?

It's not quite the same, though. When you buy watercolor paper, you use it, and then it's gone (framed on a wall or thrown away), so you buy more. With software, you buy it, you use it, and it doesn't get used up -- you keep using the same purchase over and over unless it breaks (because of a system upgrade, for example), in which case the developer may be able to sell you an updated version (though many people expect to get those for free). That's not an excuse for rolling out meaningless updates or IAPs, but a software developer has to keep generating new purchases (or else go to subscription software-as-a-service like Adobe :eek:).

Well, that's true in a way - until your computer/device dies and the technology for it goes obsolete, which seems to happen at lightning speed today. !

The Adobe rent-a-program solution... awful except if you're a company.

Did it fix the issue of hipsta not processing photos at all? I currently have a processing rate of 2 in 10 photos. Meaning 2 develop and 8 do not. This is not an over exaggeration. I'm probably being generous.

Hard closing hipsta does not close out the app completely. I am certain of this. My app continues to loop in it's errors regardless of how many times I close it out. (Opens up on editing photos.. Sometimes weeks old regardless of what I was currently working on, continues to crash, refuses to save, ext) Sometimes things improve with a restart of the phone, but only sometimes. There is no guarantee.

I use hipsta, despite the issues, as my primary camera app. Always have. At present I am trying to use hipsta at each photo occasion for as long as possible before the errors force me to use another camera app. This is aggravating and I spend more time fighting the app than actually shooting.

I will also suggest, reluctantly, that the app is storing photos. I understand that we have been told that it isn't and have no access to an internal gallery, but the behavior of my app suggest that it is storing photos somewhere other than in the photo albums. I've already stated that the majority of my photos are not processing. They are not showing up in the photos app. They simply are just gone, right? No. Throughout these months I've had several.. Upwards of 10 to 15 photos.. Show up way after I took them. Always when opening the app, always random, and in no particular order. They do not show up in the order I took them. I had a photo I shot in October show up in January. In Between that time I had many other unprocessed show up. This makes me question whether or not there is a lack of an internal gallery. Is anyone else having this issue?

I've had the case happen when I closed the program in frustration thinking that the shot didn't happen, or because it was taking so LONG to happen - this only after the number of shots freezes as it is "processing" - but they always develop the next time I open the app. I've had this happen with 645 Pro too, where the processing is "heavy."

Honestly that's one of the reasons I don't use Hipstamatic for many successive shots, unless I can deal with the time it takes for all of them to process. If you are doing street photography or shooting while moving, you lose a ton of opportunities that way. It's a slow app.

I've had the case happen when I closed the program in frustration thinking that the shot didn't happen, or because it was taking so LONG to happen - this only after the number of shots freezes as it is "processing" - but they always develop the next time I open the app. I've had this happen with 645 Pro too, where the processing is "heavy."

Honestly that's one of the reasons I don't use Hipstamatic for many successive shots, unless I can deal with the time it takes for all of them to process. If you are doing street photography or shooting while moving, you lose a ton of opportunities that way. It's a slow app.

I too have had photos process after reopening the app. Some have even successfully saved after multiple times trying and failing during editing. I keep trudging along because there are days the app does work BETTER than other days and I feel I've made some progress with it. These are not the processing surprises I was talking about in my post though. I am having photos show up long after the photo shoot in which they were shot. I've used the app quite a lot in between when these photos are taken and when they randomly process (or show up, I'm not sure process is the exact term to use). This isn't an issue of the last photo, it's beyond random. I've tried figuring out a cause or connection, but I'm at a loss. My only speculation is an error in how photos are stored, and it is just speculation.

I am a candid shooter. I shoot in the moment, landscapes mostly but also people. I don't consider it street photography, mostly because I live rurally, but also because the people are not the focal point of my photos. It is always the landscape. Or wildlife. (I'm also more of a photo manipulator/digital artist but that's a whole other posts) Hipstamatic USED to be perfect for me, but as you've said, now there are a lot of lost opportunities because of it. (There is only so much light at the end of the day) I still give it a try, because I never know if it will be a day when the app is behaving. And there are days when it does. Those days are what keep me holding on.

I still am wondering if deleting and reinstalling would be beneficial. I already did it twice, at the beginning of 300 when nothing worked. It just makes me somewhat nervous.

Did it fix the issue of hipsta not processing photos at all?

Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. How's that for unhelpful?? :(

I think you're correct that the app must be storing image data somewhere internally. At the very least, it has to save the original gear combination the image was shot with, since you can revert to that at any time during the editing process. It's also possible to open a new, unprocessed instance of an image. That all has to be stored somewhere.

If only it wasn't so fun to play with all those little cannisters and stuff!

Sometimes I wonder, what with ALL the glut of programs with filters, whether releasing new filters is really much of a draw for me anymore. I support Hipstamatic because of my experience with it over time, but now... man am I tired of filters. I might have to stop with this program. As I have been more and more with apps in general. I think I have enough and need to just stick with very few - the point is the work, these things are all just tools.
Once a year I have the same thoughts, concentrate on very few apps and throw away the rest. And a year later I found me at the same point, again I have too many apps on my device. Hey, it's the same with my home and the clean up work. :lmao:

It's not easy to stick with only some apps when there are new apps or updates all day. The (small) artist in me is curious about any change in the apps or any new way to express myself. It's an addiction. Period. But not a harmful addiction (I hope).

But Hipstamatic? Sorry to say that but in my opinion their time is long over. This last try to make an once-and-for-all app with all this editing stuff was (as we Germans would say) the coffin nail for Hipstamatic. Rest in peace. The magic Hipstamatic had is gone. They sacrificed what made the app so special for an all-purpose fit-all-sizes everyone-should-be-happy filter app.

Hipstamatic is still alive because they were the first of doing this kind of app and because of us. We have created websites, guides, facebook groups and so on.

The fact to be the first have helped them to gain a lot of fans but as marketing strategies they are not always good. They have just created few apps that simply died. They have a Snap magazine that I don't know if someone reads it. They have created Oggl that probably have embarassing figures, we don't know the engagement.

If I'm not wrong, they have only 1 developer working on Hipstamatic. Maybe they should spend less money on their rents and experiments I've just mentioned above and give some help on the developing department. One this doesn't have any flaw you can create more products around.

If you want to compare with old apps that work like a charm, you can take Camera+. They have done many changes since then, and the app always works great. Same for Snapseed, or VSCO, or NightCap Pro, or 645Pro.

Hipstamatic is still alive because they were the first of doing this kind of app and because of us. We have created websites, guides, facebook groups and so on......

If you want to compare with old apps that work like a charm, you can take Camera+. They have done many changes since then, and the app always works great. Same for Snapseed, or VSCO, or NightCap Pro, or 645Pro.

I completely agree!

I literally downloaded hipsta the week it hit the App Store. I've been with it since the beginning. I have watched the app grow, lose footing, go through reconstructioning (firing of ALL its development team), birth side apps, lose side apps, become stagnant (in terms of updates/iap offerings), and so much more.

I've also watched the amazing community grow around this app. There are many iPhone shooters that ONLY shoot with hipsta. The community, in my opinion, kept hipstamatic alive during all of its toddler fit days (including now), and with out it hipsta would have just been another long forgotten filter app resting far down the search list in the App Store. Or abandoned like those side apps.

I have been using camera+ almost as long as I've been shooting with hipstamatic. It is a beautiful shooter. When I hop out of hipsta or am in a situation that hipsta will not work for, camera+ is always the next choice. I haven't used it as an editor since 2012. Probably around the time I found snapseed and filterstorm. Camera+ has had amazing updates since the early days. They have always stayed constant and true to exactly what the app is. I know every time I open the app that it will perform exactly as it should. (Now good pictures? That is in my hands, as it should be. Too many expect the app to make the picture magically work, and honestly that is beyond all shooter apps capabilities) This is why it stays a relevant app and is a perfect model for other camera replacement apps (or any photography app) to follow.

I feel the same about 645pro, VSCO, snapseed, phototoaster, decim8, and believe it or not the apple camera app itself. All of these are amazing apps that have stayed consistent and true since the beginning.

The hipstamatic community is amazing and huge. I've not seen another that compares. (Though icolorama's community is getting very close these days, and is lovely to see). There are many iPhone shooters that only shoot with hipstamatic. As David said, hipsta's community has created its own relevance. (They have their own awards!) As long as that relevance exist, the app will. It is hipsta's saving grace.

BUT, I've also watched many walk away from the app over the last 5 months. Users that have been with hipsta since the beginning and invested a good amount of time and money into it. If that continues, we may never see a fixed hipstamatic. (Take me for example. I have purchased every IAP as their packs when they first rolled out, not as retro packs and also paid for two years of oggl, that I don't use, to support a hopeful development of the app I love. I am not the only one that could say they've done this for this reason. I definitely don't use or even like all of the films/lens they've put out, but I'll continue to keep putting my money into the app until I feel there is no point or no worth to it. Many have already reached that point and I hope hipsta takes note of it soon)

I also believe that the communities uproar over oggl (when it came out) is the reason we now have an integrated , yet broken, one app that does all. But, that's only my theory based on what I've witnessed over the last two years and I could be completely wrong.

Before I'm accused of not liking the changes in hipsta300, let me clarify that I actually love most of them.. When they work. I am not advocating, in anyway, for the return of the old hipstamatic. I want hipstamatic to be a fully functioning app. There is no reason for a developer to put an app out to market that has this many errors and bugs. If it was any other product other than a mobile phone app, there would be recourse for the decisions being made. But it is only a mobile phone app. That people are still sinking a good ton of money into before they realize it is broken. (And usually on recommendation from an older shooter within the community) If this was a brand new app on the market, not a loved favorite from the beginning, we all would be making sure it was put on the warning lists so other photographers wouldn't purchase it. There should be frustration over the fact that hipstamatic, as it is right now, doesn't work. My like or dislike (or anyone else's) of the changes is actually irrelevant under these circumstances. My hope is to watch hipsta turn this around and once again become a strong dependable app (or apps) worthy of the position it holds in the App Store and on users phones.

ValeriGail, I hope the coming new generations of iPhoneographers are able to see the value in apps like Hipstamatic, when Hipstamatic is working again as it is meant to.

Once a year I have the same thoughts, concentrate on very few apps and throw away the rest. And a year later I found me at the same point, again I have too many apps on my device. Hey, it's the same with my home and the clean up work. :lmao:

It's not easy to stick with only some apps when there are new apps or updates all day. The (small) artist in me is curious about any change in the apps or any new way to express myself. It's an addiction. Period. But not a harmful addiction (I hope).

But Hipstamatic? Sorry to say that but in my opinion their time is long over. This last try to make an once-and-for-all app with all this editing stuff was (as we Germans would say) the coffin nail for Hipstamatic. Rest in peace. The magic Hipstamatic had is gone. They sacrificed what made the app so special for an all-purpose fit-all-sizes everyone-should-be-happy filter app.

Yeah, apps can be an addiction. I got over mine. I have a TON of apps from my "addicted" period, since we have one of those family plans through the app store, if they still survive by the time my kids get into this kind of thing (if they do), at least this phase of my spending money will have resulted in further fans of mobile photo gear.

I still really don't understand why Hipstamatic just couldn't have created a separate editing app that you could send Hipstamatic photos into from within the app to edit. At any rate, this way isn't working, and I do think the longer it's like this, the more it's going to hurt the company, even with loyalists on board.

We
I completely agree!

I literally downloaded hipsta the week it hit the App Store. I've been with it since the beginning. I have watched the app grow, lose footing, go through reconstructioning (firing of ALL its development team), birth side apps, lose side apps, become stagnant (in terms of updates/iap offerings), and so much more.

I've also watched the amazing community grow around this app. There are many iPhone shooters that ONLY shoot with hipsta. The community, in my opinion, kept hipstamatic alive during all of its toddler fit days (including now), and with out it hipsta would have just been another long forgotten filter app resting far down the search list in the App Store. Or abandoned like those side apps.

I have been using camera+ almost as long as I've been shooting with hipstamatic. It is a beautiful shooter. When I hop out of hipsta or am in a situation that hipsta will not work for, camera+ is always the next choice. I haven't used it as an editor since 2012. Probably around the time I found snapseed and filterstorm. Camera+ has had amazing updates since the early days. They have always stayed constant and true to exactly what the app is. I know every time I open the app that it will perform exactly as it should. (Now good pictures? That is in my hands, as it should be. Too many expect the app to make the picture magically work, and honestly that is beyond all shooter apps capabilities) This is why it stays a relevant app and is a perfect model for other camera replacement apps (or any photography app) to follow.

I feel the same about 645pro, VSCO, snapseed, phototoaster, decim8, and believe it or not the apple camera app itself. All of these are amazing apps that have stayed consistent and true since the beginning.

The hipstamatic community is amazing and huge. I've not seen another that compares. (Though icolorama's community is getting very close these days, and is lovely to see). There are many iPhone shooters that only shoot with hipstamatic. As David said, hipsta's community has created its own relevance. (They have their own awards!) As long as that relevance exist, the app will. It is hipsta's saving grace.

BUT, I've also watched many walk away from the app over the last 5 months. Users that have been with hipsta since the beginning and invested a good amount of time and money into it. If that continues, we may never see a fixed hipstamatic. (Take me for example. I have purchased every IAP as their packs when they first rolled out, not as retro packs and also paid for two years of oggl, that I don't use, to support a hopeful development of the app I love. I am not the only one that could say they've done this for this reason. I definitely don't use or even like all of the films/lens they've put out, but I'll continue to keep putting my money into the app until I feel there is no point or no worth to it. Many have already reached that point and I hope hipsta takes note of it soon)

I also believe that the communities uproar over oggl (when it came out) is the reason we now have an integrated , yet broken, one app that does all. But, that's only my theory based on what I've witnessed over the last two years and I could be completely wrong.

Before I'm accused of not liking the changes in hipsta300, let me clarify that I actually love most of them.. When they work. I am not advocating, in anyway, for the return of the old hipstamatic. I want hipstamatic to be a fully functioning app. There is no reason for a developer to put an app out to market that has this many errors and bugs. If it was any other product other than a mobile phone app, there would be recourse for the decisions being made. But it is only a mobile phone app. That people are still sinking a good ton of money into before they realize it is broken. (And usually on recommendation from an older shooter within the community) If this was a brand new app on the market, not a loved favorite from the beginning, we all would be making sure it was put on the warning lists so other photographers wouldn't purchase it. There should be frustration over the fact that hipstamatic, as it is right now, doesn't work. My like or dislike (or anyone else's) of the changes is actually irrelevant under these circumstances. My hope is to watch hipsta turn this around and once again become a strong dependable app (or apps) worthy of the position it holds in the App Store and on users phones.

Well put - and I've heard of Hipstamatic's trouble with programmers, they don't have a good reputation in that area.

I have a slightly different take. I'm relatively new to Hipsta, so have no nostalgic reason to keep it. I just want it to be the app I believe it could be, if it worked consistently.

It wasn't *until* they added the editing suite that I had any interest. I did the two-month trial of Oggl and really enjoyed playing with the gear, but found it really annoying that I couldn't adjust anything in-app. H300 was what made me a fan - all the toys, plus the control I wanted...when it works.

So I think there is great potential, going forward, for Hipsta to stay relevant and attract users. It's actually proof to me how good the app is *because* I keep it, despite its inconsistency, hoping it will finally be debugged and live up to that potential.

Back
Top Bottom