Mobi365 Jan Gray 365 Project 2023

19th April - Mum and Twins
Spotted these today on our walk - a very proud mum and her twins wandering in the fields near the village.
2E4C49C1-61C8-4324-8F73-11A5EC9AE6D6_1_105_c.jpg

22nd April - Narcissi 'Cheerfulness.'

These are called Cheerfulness and I think this sums them up. They are beautiful with the perfect white outer petals and the yellow centre - I think they look like the white and yolk of an egg.

68835529-CC56-4307-8A2F-C887291EF2A0_1_105_c.jpg

23rd April - Yucca Flowers
A rainy day today, so no walking as yet. But noticed yesterday the Yucca plant that we have in our conservatory has begun to flower which is the first time for a few years. Each bud wears sap which looks lovely but is very sticky if it drops on anything. But it make quite a good photo.
FE870C3E-3D5D-48CA-B895-4E6DB73FFCDA_1_105_c.jpg

24th April - Blossom Time
Finally a nice day and there blossom on there trees around the village is beginning to shine out and feel very welcoming. All these images were taken from trees leading up to the village church.
IMG_1201.JPG

25th April - On the Road Again
We’ve finally been able to get away in the motorhome before our holiday next month. We decided to go over to Derbyshire near Belper. Here’s an image from our walk near Ripley. It was along part of the Cromford Canal which is now disused, but still showing its’ past as the water that remains is stained with orange from the iron ore that is in the ground that had be extracted during the days of the industrial revolution.
A08DD8E8-F3AA-4C69-A065-B94ACAC198C9_1_102_o.jpeg

26th April - Reflections.
Another walk along the canal near Cromford. Loved the reflections of this bent over birch tree. Converted into blackm and white then took some of the opacity down to create this muddied effect. Very much like the water colour.
C5A9C997-F40E-41B8-ACA7-AF663FB80FD4_1_102_o-studio.jpeg

27th April - The First Bluebells

A brighter day today and in the hills above the canal was a lovely area where the bluebells have begun to flower. I love these flowers. it is such a shame that they only last a few weeks before they are gone until next year.

A1A3CA62-E281-4760-B241-67846944B544_1_102_o.jpg

28th April - Dabchick/Little Grebe
Not the best image, but I don't see this little duckling very often. Originally, they were call the Dabchick but now has been reclassified as the Little Grebe. A tiny diving duck with a chestnut head.
IMG_7529.jpg

Last edited:
3rd May - Cromford Canal Revisited.
Going through the photos from last week, I found this one of one of the bridges/short tunnel on the Cromford Canal. Decided to do some more editing on it to highlight the shape under the bridge. I like the shapes and the deep shadows.
IMG_7533.jpeg

4th May - The Maquis of Granby
I work as a volunteer in the Dove Cottage tea rooms and Charity shop which is on the canalside. Today, the highlight was the passing of the small train called the Maquis of Granby. There is a story about the train. It was built in 1907 as a train to move the lincolnshire sandstone from the quarry along tracks towards the canal. When the quarry closed in the 1940s, much of the workings were scrapped. But some years ago, a group of locals found the train in a shed rusty and in a
very bad state. They have spent nearly 10 years renovating it and it is now ready to be displayed. The only problem was that the journey to its’ new site was over the canal bridge which is high. Originally, a low-loader lorry was going to carry it over, but then it was decided that a tractor pulling it would be better. These 3 photos shows its’ journey over the bridge.

IMG_2847.jpeg

5th May - Yellow Nettle
I know many people don’t like nettles, but I really like these - the yellow flowers are under the leaves but are really bright and are great for bumble bees and the early butterflies, particularly like the yellow Brimstone.

IMG_7554.jpeg

4th May - The Maquis of Granby
I work as a volunteer in the Dove Cottage tea rooms and Charity shop which is on the canalside. Today, the highlight was the passing of the small train called the Maquis of Granby. There is a story about the train. It was built in 1907 as a train to move the lincolnshire sandstone from the quarry along tracks towards the canal. When the quarry closed in the 1940s, much of the workings were scrapped. But some years ago, a group of locals found the train in a shed rusty and in a
very bad state. They have spent nearly 10 years renovating it and it is now ready to be displayed. The only problem was that the journey to its’ new site was over the canal bridge which is high. Originally, a low-loader lorry was going to carry it over, but then it was decided that a tractor pulling it would be better. These 3 photos shows its’ journey over the bridge.

View attachment 192289
What an interesting story :geek::thumbs: Also I almost laughed when I saw the title. The name of "our" shopping mall is Gränby:)

5th May - Yellow Nettle
I know many people don’t like nettles, but I really like these - the yellow flowers are under the leaves but are really bright and are great for bumble bees and the early butterflies, particularly like the yellow Brimstone.

View attachment 192291
We are still waiting for the nettles. But as soon as they pop up we're going to eat them. We often have them in omelettes, as a substitute for spinach

Back
Top Bottom