MobiColour RESULT: MC #120 Theme: Tools of the Trade - May 14-20

78C648C2-D738-4456-A0D4-85FC6966BBE0.jpeg
New Mexico Fiber Arts Crawl - tools of the trade. Hipsta.

Love this, but what does a pinking machine do exactly?
Pinking is cutting a zigzag or scalloped edge on fabric to keep it from fraying (says the dictionary). I knew about pinking shears, but I'd never seen anything like this until Lorraine brought it home one day as a curiosity. I guess if you've got a lot of pinking to do...

I worked as a proofreader for a typesetter for a time. Then I worked as a freelance tech writer and ended up doing a lot of layout and formatting (and proofreading again) along with it to produce the camera-ready copy. I actually enjoyed learning the conventions and the ins-and-outs of typefaces, etc., but the proofing and final formatting was tedious and sometimes maddening. ("Can you just make this tiny change?" And then I'd watch as the change rippled through the rest of the document, destroying page breaks and illustration positioning as it went. :eek::lmao:)
I had a book of typefaces as a kid, obs before the internet or even personal computers were a thing. I was fascinated by them. Those and benday dots. I loved Roy Lichtensteins stuff. I was taught the correct way to design typefaces in art at school although I'm sure I wouldn't remember how if I had to do it now.
I enjoy using comic sans in serious design work because I know it upsets people. I'm a bad man. :oops: :D

Back
Top Bottom