What are you watching?

I couldn't get enough of "Unforgotten" on either PBS Masterpiece or, for the fourth season in the US, the ITV HUB via a VPN
I asked 'Er in lockdown about that and she confused it with Unforgiven, which has Suranne Jones in. Just 3 episode but cracking stuff:
Right, I'm off to watch Unforgotten now, which also get 'Er in lockdown's seal of approval.

Was Mad ever relevant in the UK?
Today I learnt Jamie Hewlett, co-creator of Tank Girl and the Gorillaz (which has been around for 20 years now!!!????) has said that that Mort Drucker, Jack Davis and Harvey Kurtzman have been big influences. ( I can see that in the hands he draws.)
In fact, Hewlett has even stated that the entirety of Chuck Jones' filmography and Mad Magazine as a whole are the biggest overall influences on his work. (Wikipedia)
I'm a big fan of Jamie and Tank Girl was a work of genius (before Hollywood made a mess of it.)
My favorite T-shirt for many years before it fell apart.
tank.jpg

A Gorillaz track if anyone's not sure who they are: Dirty Harry

Last edited:
Amazon fire stick

I have Roku. I still have to pay for HBO. I don’t see an app for Kodi, just a remote.

I don’t know what any of these things are. Thought I had some live streaming cred when I (my family) got a subscription to Netflix, Stan and BritBox.

I asked 'Er in lockdown about that and she confused it with Unforgiven, which has Suranne Jones in. Just 3 episode but cracking stuff:
Right, I'm off to watch Unforgotten now, which also get 'Er in lockdown's seal of approval.

All these movies you post, Sam - where /how to do watch *cough* stream them?

Been watching 'Midnight Mass' on Netflix, only moderately scary for you wusses. Its got some great monologues about life, death, redemption, good, evil etc. Well worth a watch.

I’m a wuss for scary, cruelty/injustice, finding out through spoilers that a main character is going to shoot himself and his family [though I prefer finding out through spoilers over watching it]. I wept in the Futurama episode in which Seymour the dog waits for Fry. Forever. With Connie Francis vocals ffs.

Do you think I’d like it?

I’m a wuss for scary, cruelty/injustice, finding out through spoilers that a main character is going to shoot himself and his family [though I prefer finding out through spoilers over watching it]. I wept in the Futurama episode in which Seymour the dog waits for Fry. Forever. With Connie Francis vocals ffs.

Hmmmmm probably not !

Been watching 'Midnight Mass' on Netflix, only moderately scary for you wusses. Its got some great monologues about life, death, redemption, good, evil etc. Well worth a watch.
Thanks for the tip. I’m struggling for things to watch on Netflix. We’ve watched most the foreign stuff where either people emerge from lava, or people get murdered in woods and wolves and crows help the detectives find the culprit!:rolleyes:

Omg! I binged it over the weekend! Scary mainly in showing how easily misunderstandings occur; how perspective can totally change the truth in the moment; and perhaps scariest of all….how fanaticism easily allows the warping of information to fit a specific need. Growing up Catholic I immediately recognized that the writer and/or director also grew up Catholic because a non-Catholic will never truly understand the horror aspects. I remember being totally horrified that I was expected to put Christ’s blood and flesh into my mouth and swallow them to gain everlasting life!!! (I could have joined the Cullen clan at that point!) The grownups were shocked by my disgust. I wasn’t allowed to balk. I took first communion and many more after that. I never enjoyed communion and was always grossed out by it. I denounced Catholicism many years ago, but it’s brainwashing runs deep. This series was excellent and there were concepts presented that I have believed for years now; concepts that aren’t traditional Christian views, that I’ve never been able to explain with such eloquence or beauty. I’ll be watching it again before the Vatican finds a way to get rid of it.

Last edited:

You might not ‘like’ it, but I think it’s an important series to watch. I think the concepts it deals with (just below the surface) are important and powerful. I will be surprised if the Vatican doesn’t find a way to make it disappear in the near future. It really shows the power of fanaticism and how the “truth” is made relevant or irrelevant depending on your perspective at the moment. Truth isn’t always truth. I’ve only learned that in the last decade.

Back
Top Bottom