Younger’s Project 365 - 2022

28/365
Mark’s mum passed away today. She had dementia and was in a nursing home for the last 3 years, slowly deteriorating day by day. Such a horrendous way to go. The final nudge was the spicy cough, or as scientists would put it, coronavirus. I have never spoken to her because when I met her she was already unable to speak. I guess she liked me but then again I’ll never know. Nevertheless I’m still sad for Mark, for his sister, and for all that could’ve been but wasn’t. She was in her 80s, but so many are and still have a lot to give. Anyway, such is life. Rest In Peace, Valma.

I took this photo as soon as we arrived at the hotel (we drove down to Sydney in a hurry and both Mark and his sister managed to be there with her when she passed - I guess she was waiting to have them both by her side :inlove:), but now looking at it I think it might have been my subconscious trying to explain the situation. No edit.
View attachment 176033
Agh, dementia! Such a horrible thing - it can strip the essence of a person and just leave a shell. Sending you loving hugs. It must be a relief to know that she no longer has to suffer. I know it was when my mum died.

Agh, dementia! Such a horrible thing - it can strip the essence of a person and just leave a shell. Sending you loving hugs. It must be a relief to know that she no longer has to suffer. I know it was when my mum died.
Certainly, Jilly. Even though we never had a conversation, I’m sure she was a nice lady and the past +-6 years have been awful for everyone involved. Thank you for the hugs and sorry you had to go through that too :inlove:

28/365
Mark’s mum passed away today. She had dementia and was in a nursing home for the last 3 years, slowly deteriorating day by day. Such a horrendous way to go. The final nudge was the spicy cough, or as scientists would put it, coronavirus. I have never spoken to her because when I met her she was already unable to speak. I guess she liked me but then again I’ll never know. Nevertheless I’m still sad for Mark, for his sister, and for all that could’ve been but wasn’t. She was in her 80s, but so many are and still have a lot to give. Anyway, such is life. Rest In Peace, Valma.

I took this photo as soon as we arrived at the hotel (we drove down to Sydney in a hurry and both Mark and his sister managed to be there with her when she passed - I guess she was waiting to have them both by her side :inlove:), but now looking at it I think it might have been my subconscious trying to explain the situation. No edit.
View attachment 176033
My condolences to your family. Similar with my mom who died at 98 after several years of dementia.

I have to say I had a couple of awkward situations in Sydney. I think tourists don’t realise that it’s a bit more edgy than one would expect.
I go into the CBD at least once every few weeks, leave home at 5am. Sometimes I’m lucky to catch the sunrise at the opera house. Most of the “gang bangers” have gone home by then

Now Rio would be interesting are there no go suburbs
Well… yes and no. Unfortunately anything can happen in any part of town but you wouldn’t want to (and wouldn’t be able to anyway, unless you paid for it) go into the slums. Like most places, downtown Rio has a few locations where you’re safe to go at night (restaurants, nightclubs) but you wouldn’t roam around other streets by yourself. Unless it’s a busy area you really have no business going around on foot at night anywhere in Rio.

Driving can be another issue so you would only take the “good” streets to go where you want to at night, even if it means taking double the time to travel, and preferably not stop at lights. I haven’t lived in Rio (or anywhere else in Brazil) for over 10 years now and my feeling (and what I hear from friends) is that it’s potentially worse nowadays, or at least hasn’t improved. It’s ok to take cabs everywhere though, since they know every part of town and are up to date with all those changes.

Sorry for the long explanation :D

30/365
Fine
4947795D-DAF2-4DB5-84DF-AE9EF3BF28EE.jpeg

Well… yes and no. Unfortunately anything can happen in any part of town but you wouldn’t want to (and wouldn’t be able to anyway, unless you paid for it) go into the slums. Like most places, downtown Rio has a few locations where you’re safe to go at night (restaurants, nightclubs) but you wouldn’t roam around other streets by yourself. Unless it’s a busy area you really have no business going around on foot at night anywhere in Rio.

Driving can be another issue so you would only take the “good” streets to go where you want to at night, even if it means taking double the time to travel, and preferably not stop at lights. I haven’t lived in Rio (or anywhere else in Brazil) for over 10 years now and my feeling (and what I hear from friends) is that it’s potentially worse nowadays, or at least hasn’t improved. It’s ok to take cabs everywhere though, since they know every part of town and are up to date with all those changes.

Sorry for the long explanation :D
No . Don’t be sorry Juliana I’m always interested in other parts of the world. We
Complain but we forget how lucky we are downunder

No . Don’t be sorry Juliana I’m always interested in other parts of the world. We
Complain but we forget how lucky we are downunder
Well, you come from a civilised country (in terms of crime/violence) so it’s easy to compare and complain about certain things. I’ve always wanted to flee Brazil the first opportunity I had, and every country I’ve lived in so far was so much better (except Saudi)… :lmao: I really love Brazil and am particularly home sick since it’s been 3 years since our last visit, and who knows when we’ll be able to be back. But unfortunately living in Brazil was very difficult for me and even though I was born and lived my whole life in Rio, I could never feel that I belonged. So hard seeing so many wrong things happening and turning a blind eye like most people do, making up rules as they go, not following anything… don’t know where these genes come from since the most recent family member to migrate to Brazil (great-grandfather) was Italian and they’re not particularly organised either! :lmao: It’s ok to complain though, no country is perfect so there’ll always be something to bug us a bit.

Back
Top Bottom